New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say | Fox News

Saw this when I got into work this AM. Thought about it for a little while trying to figure out how it could have happened. In the end, the only way I can see this happening is in a shoulder holster as it says the bullet punctured her lung and hit her heart. I can't imagine any waist level carry that could have done this, but maybe.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Possibly one of those t-shirts with the carry pocket under your arm. She was behind the officer. Terrible.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
That's terrible, I wonder if she used her fingers to feel what the bulge could be under the shirt while hugging.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Or.....Gun was holstered at waist level...discharged and round hit cement or a rock went back up and pierced her lung and heart....

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Or.....Gun was holstered at waist level...discharged and round hit cement or a rock went back up and pierced her lung and heart....
Enfield, think about your statement for a second. When have you ever hugged anyone at waist level? Secondly, the cop was OFF DUTY--which most likely means if his gun was waist level, the holster would have been IWB and the bullet would have more than likely grazed (if not went through) him also.

As mentioned above, it was either a shoulder holster or one of the shirt holster setups. Either way, what a shame.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Something doesn't add up... I think there's more to this. Hopefully it was an accidental shooting... but unless the gun was one of these (below) or she was on her knees giving him a little something-something, I just can't see how this happened.

gun-control-awareness-backwards-gun-small-53151.jpg

G

·
A hug from behind doesn’t line up the pistol-lung-heart shot no matter how the pistol is being carried.
This doesn’t add up. There’s more to this story.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
This is odd. Is the officer 7'2 and she was 5'1 or something?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Article posted says he was dancing with wife and she came up from behind and hugged him at waist level. Must be a detroit club thing but whatever happened it appears to be a real tragedy. I'm totally speculating but my guess is the the gun somehow became unholstered and it might have gotten caught up in his shirt or something as he was attempting to reholster it. These things just don't go off accidently without some sort of trigger pull.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Dancing with his wife and she ends up shot. Perhaps the wife had something to do with it. Yet another reason to avoid dancing at all times.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have seen some of the younger crowd dancing that was just short of sex. It went like this (and let me try to keep this family friendly) the male bent over hands on the knees..bouncing his butt up and down and a girl come in from behind and do like a limbo under the guy. The girls hands end up on the guys hips to hold her up from falling on the floor.

I can't imagine a wife seeing this happen but every day it seems like I have to imagine more. 6 months ago I wouldn't have imagined face eating either..lol

Tragic situation no matter what took place. 25 is wayyyyyy to young.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
"...McNair said she also was told her daughter "was being a little flirty" with the officer and the gun fired as they were in a face-to-face hug..."

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
"...McNair said she also was told her daughter "was being a little flirty" with the officer and the gun fired as they were in a face-to-face hug..."
I was referring to another quote within same article, but misread "tugged" for "hugged".

"Goldpaugh, who spent several hours with the officer after the shooting, said the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when Miller came up behind him and tugged at his waist.

"And the gun went off," Goldpaugh said. "It's a fluke accidental shooting."

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Dancing with his wife and she ends up shot. Perhaps the wife had something to do with it. Yet another reason to avoid dancing at all times.
Or wives! Can't shoot one if you don't have one.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Apparently it was in a soft holster, not leather or kydex, so it allowed the trigger to be manipulated. However there is still no explanation of the trajectory.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
If it was a soft leather holster, maybe she brushed it with her arm which tilted the pistol upwards as she was hugging him? Still seems really strange.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I just spent 5 minutes trying to move my trigger while gun is holstered in a soft leather holster and it doesn't move. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just don;t see how it could happen. I guess I need a bigger imagination.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts