New York Firearms Forum banner

Off-duty LEO mistakes son for intruder - shoots/kills him

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  nessman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This is why a good blinding flashlight on a home defense weapon is a very good idea, it blinds potential threats and gives you a second to identify. I couldn't imagine the guilt that guy is feeling, this poor man will never be himself again :(

#5 ·

This message is hidden because Darthgamer138 is on your ignore list.

I guess there's a reason for everything. A guy just shot his son by accident and from the sounds of it had a heart or panic attack after. Stay classy.

#4 ·
Happens quite a bit. Some guy shot his daughter like that on the west coat last year I believe. Parents leave the house for anniverary dinner.
She sneaks into the house to leave a gift in their bedroom. Dad while pulling out of the driveway notices shadow through the window. Grabs his 44 Mag from the glove box. Stops the car, re-enters the house. Daughter hears him, hides in the bedroom closet with the gift, planning to surprise him. He comes into the room gun drawn, she jumps out of the closet, yells surprise with huge smile on her face and gift in hand. He put one in her chest. She died in his arms. Again you own a gun doesn't mean you have to stick your toothbrush in the barrel and brush your teeth like that. Someone breaks into my house , I am flipping the lights, and choking them out. It's more fun like that anyway. Home defense doesn't mean just gun. All some people know is gun, gun, gun! You take the gun away and there is nothing left. Total pussies! Well you better cling to that gun then.

#16 ·
I cant say as Ive never been in that situation but. Like hunting..dont you ID your threat before. a shot in the dark could be anyone. These stories prove it. Then again Im sure your so hyped up on adrenaline and scared. Again thats my plan but again..Ive NEVER been in those shoes so hard for me to say crap!

#12 ·
Saw this about 5 am this morning and it has been on my mind ever since. I'm not sure I could go on with life it this had happened to me. Very sad, sad story and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Perhaps a valuable lesson for all of us to put on the back burner. Unfortunately, we hear similar stories up far too often.

Back in the '80s there were some robberies happening in my wife's parents neighborhood. Her parents heard a noise in the house and her dad (NYPD at the time) gets his gun and heads down the stairs to check things out. Her mom turns the outside flood lights on and apparently a shadow off one of the trees looked like somebody was in the window with a knife. Surprised her dad and he ended up falling down the stairs loaded gun in hand. Fortunately, no intruder and nobody got seriously hurt. I hear this story every now and then and always gets a good laugh, but thinking about it now, it could have turned into a real tragedy. Time to make a plan with the family so everyone has an idea of what to do if a similar situation occurs in the future.

#13 ·
Accidental shootings are horrible enough, I can't even imagine shooting a loved one "on purpose" because you think it's someone else.. be lucky not to jump off the deep end.. just terrible. Basic firearm safety.. be sure of your target and what is beyond. And +1 for the family planning..

#17 ·
I couldn't live with myself if I shot a family member or friend in that circumstance. Can't imagine what this guy and his family are going through. The guy was in a motel so he would likely not have had the luxury of knowing the exact location of every light switch. Being on alert is one thing, but being on defcon 0 alert 24x7 can end in disaster.

#18 ·
One news article said once he's out of the hospital, he'll be back in state police custody... so charges are likely depending on the outcome of the investigation (manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide). Knowing what he did to his son is punishment enough - but as has been said before - we're responsible for every bullet we fire... and he's not above the law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.