New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Looking for thoughts on OC spray. Have a few questions so I figured to post them here and start a discussion. Right off the bat:

• What's a good brand? Are there different formulations or all they all roughly the same?
  • Where do you carry it? On your belt or in a pocket? Do you carry it on your strong side or your weak side?
  • Are there any places besides the obvious ones (secured part of the airport, court house, etc) that you can't carry it?
  • Can you carry it in NYC?
  • How many shots are you going to get with the typical can? The one that my local FFL sells claims "25 sprays", which seems a little optimistic considering the small size of the can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First off I do not carry pepper spray personally and do not consider myself an expert on the subject. This information is what I have learned from different firearms classes conducted by either police officers or certified NYS Armed Security instructors.

New York Law regulates pepper spray to

Maximum weight: 3/4 ounce. Don't worry about number of sprays it is dependent on length of the spray and is mostly advertising. Plus if you think about it if a tiny can could get 25 sprays how much product is it really putting out at your aggressor? Do they restrict the nozzle to regulate flow so the manufacturer can make such claims? A good rule of thumb is if you use the can once replace it. Under stress you may use the whole can or close to it and then you will be carrying and relying on an empty product. In addition, the nozzles can get gummed up and not work properly after the initial use I would not risk my like to reusing a $10 product.

Maximum strength: .7% there are different percentages available but NY residents can not possess them. FOX labs and Sabre are good products but I don't know if they make NY compliant products. Also, people react differently to pepper spray regardless of the percentage. Some do not drop to the ground and give up, but rather they get mad and more violent and continue to attack. Just be aware of that possibility.

Who can sell: Licensed Pharmacist or Firearms Dealer
Who can buy: Person over 18, not convicted of felony or assault
Maximum purchase: 2 cans (at one time)
Other: Purchaser must provide proof of age and sign a verified declaration

We were instructed to carry weak side. This is because if the threat is not deterred by the spray you can transition to the side arm on your strong side. Under stress your body may not release the can of spray when you try to draw your firearms. Remember, under stress your body does funny things, ie tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, make it as simple as possible for your self defense setup and then practice with it.

As for off limits I believe they are the same for firearms but I am not a lawyer nor did I research it before replying to your post so you are going to want to do your own research on NYS Law. Personally, I would stay out of NYC with it as well.

Hope that helps you a little.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sabre red does sell in NY. I have some that I got at Gander Mt.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good rule of thumb is if you use the can once replace it. Under stress you may use the whole can or close to it and then you will be carrying and relying on an empty product. In addition, the nozzles can get gummed up and not work properly after the initial use I would not risk my like to reusing a $10 product.
Wouldn't you want to test one before you start carrying it around? The instructions on the Sabre that's sold around here recommends testing it periodically. I'd rather not find out it doesn't work when I most need it.

Personally, I would stay out of NYC with it as well.
I thought it was legal in NYC? I'd like to have something more effective than my flashlight to carry in NYC, if possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry I left that out. Yes I would test it to make sure that it is properly charged. As for testing periodically it makes sense but like I said I am not an expert and just relaying info I was told. I never said oc was illegal in NYC, although after rereading my post that may not have been clear in the wording. In fact after a little research it seems to be legal. I just stated I personally would not bring it there. I just think of the guy with the muzzle loader being harassed and even off duty cops being carry under LEOSA.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
More on NYS (pepper spray) Law

It is legal to carry defense sprays in NY, but they must be purchased within the state. Pepper spray can not legally be mailed to any city or county in New York. Most other parts of the country do allow for these products to be shipped in, so people who live in nearby states may legally have pepper spray delivered by mail.

The only type of self defense spray that can be mailed into New York is animal pepper spray, which is used to ward off an attack from a vicious beast. Animal spray is a powerful weapon that contains Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) to temporarily stop even the largest wild attacker. These sprays are intended to temporarily stun an animal and give you the opportunity to escape, and may only be lawfully used for personal protection purposes. Although New York is most often thought of as an urban area where attack dogs may be the only animal threat, there are also plentiful rural zones where a dangerous encounter with wildlife may occur.

There are regulations about how much mace or pepper spray a New York resident may purchase and carry. It is only legal to buy a can of safety spray that is small enough to fit inside a standard pocket. Canisters that are larger are expressly forbidden. State law about purchasing pepper spray in New York declares that each person may only purchase two canisters during any transaction. No individual will be allowed to buy multiple cans from the same source.

Pepper spray may only be used to defend yourself against an attacker. Each canister must have a label that declares it is for self defense purposes only. Any other use of a personal spray is illegal and punishable by law. People living in or visiting cities such as Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx or any other NY city may wonder where to buy a defense spray for their own protection. Only a fully licensed firearms dealer or pharmacist is permitted to sell pepper spray in the Empire state, and before a purchase can be finalized the buyer must sign a form that affirms they are 18 years or older and have no felony convictions.

it seems to me that "animal spray" is just a stronger form of "personal spray" anyone know the difference

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I carry Mace brand Peppergard spray in the 11gram size and I carry it in my weak side pocket. The Mace web site states it will throw a stream 8-12 feet and will spray 5 one second bursts. Mace brand is available locally over the counter, I believe I bought mine at Gander Mt.. Herb's does not sell pepper spray, the counter clerk in Rome said that since they do not have a license to sell handguns, they cannot sell pepper spray. Apparently you must be a full service FFL to handle the spray.

I did find this information on the web at a vendor site, so believe it or not, I make no claim that it is fact.

"New York

The regulations shall include a requirement that every self-defense spray device which may be lawfully purchased, possessed or used pursuant to this paragraph have a label which states: “WARNING: the use of this substance or device for any purpose other than self-defense is a criminal offense under the law. The contents are dangerous – use with care.” This device shall not be sold by anyone other than a licensed authorized dealer.

Every self-defense spray device shall be accompanied by an insert or inserts which include directions for use, first aid information, safety and storage information and which shall also contain a toll free telephone number for the purpose of allowing any purchaser to call and receive additional information regarding the number for the purpose of allowing any purchaser to call and receive additional information regarding the availability of local courses in self-defense training and safety in the use of a self-defense spray device.

The NY Department of Health has promulgated regulations which define what self-defense sprays may be legally possessed. These regulations authorize:

* Sprays containing oleo-resin capsicum, and no other substance, as the active ingredient (pepper sprays)

* Self-defense sprays are further limited by the Department of Health to a maximum net weight of three quarters ounce, and a maximum strength of 0.7% by weight of total capsaicinoids

* The canister must not be disguised in a manner so as appear to be something other than a self-defense spray

Pepper spray can only be sold by licensed firearms dealers and licensed pharmacists within the State Only. (Except Animal Repellents)"

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
whats different about animal repellents?

Those you seem to be able to get in any size and quantity ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wouldn't you want to test one before you start carrying it around? The instructions on the Sabre that's sold around here recommends testing it periodically. I'd rather not find out it doesn't work when I most need it.
Given the NYS size restrictions on the OC canister for non-LE, i wouldn't waste what quantity of OC you do have by testing. I've sprayed canisters that were well past their expiration date and they still worked. Carry a full cannister, and if you need to use it, dump the entire contents onto your target. Don't carry a partial cannister.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tc,

I wasn't worried so much about them expiring as I was about the prospects of getting a lemon. It would really suck to pull out the can during an attack and have nothing happen......

·
Registered
754 Posts
I hope this answers your question. I lived in NYC for 9 years, and I'm a City employee. I carry a 2oz pepper spray (bought at John Jovino's gun shop in Little Italy) and HK Ally pocket knife. I've brought both multiple times to CityHall, Mayor's Office, Brooklyn Supreme Court, and District Attorney in Brooklyn where I am right now. I'm a civilian.

You can't go into any of the buildings with those tools. You have to check them in. However, because I have IDs to access CityHall and DA's building, I just bring them in. During my first visit to DA's office, the guy in the front desk had some issues with my tools, and told me not to carry them. I had only one response to that, which I tell anyone, "as long as it's legal, I will carry it". I used to say "it's for self defense", but I think it's a lousy excuse. Saying "it's legal" is 100% true and undeniable.

NYC is retarded. You can buy a spring assisted knife (NYC legal, but I wouldn't risk it) on eBay for less than $10, but you have to buy a pepper spray in person and supply your SS#. I used to carry a spring assisted knife, but many cops are clueless, so they assume right away it's a switchblade, which is illegal.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
tc,

I wasn't worried so much about them expiring as I was about the prospects of getting a lemon. It would really suck to pull out the can during an attack and have nothing happen......
thats when you throw the can up in the air and while they watch it...draw:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it was a 2 ounce spray then it was not legal as law only allows for 3/4 ounce or less. You should always do a test burst when you get a new spray and then every 6 months or so. It states to do this on the canister. The reason you should do this besides because it says so on the canister is to ensure that you do not have a dud. It happens occasionally.

You do not want to find out you have a dud in a self defense situation. A test burst on a sabre red for example uses very little OC and propellant. So definitely test before carrying and relying on it and ignore anyone who says otherwise.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
thats when you throw the can up in the air and while they watch it...draw:D
Dont forget to yell "frag out" for the full tacticool experience.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone know why pharmacists can sell them? Also, CVS will stop selling cigarettes soon. Do they sell this spray under the counter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts