New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on applying for a pistol permit here in the next month or so, but running into a little bit of a problem. I currently live in a county that is different from my mailing address. The biggest reason for not changing my mailing address is cost, it's far cheaper to stay listed in that county. The references won't be an issue, plus I do have connections in the court house. What i'm wondering is: What i am trying to do is it illegal and chances of being caught??? Hopefully I worded this question right, if not please ask and I will do my best to clarify.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
im pretty sure thats illegal. wayne county gave me a hard time because my drivers license still shows a fulton address (changed in the system and i didnt wanna spend 10 bucks for a new card) i had to come up with my past 3 year tax returns and bills and bank statements and what not to prove i was a resident of wayne county

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that is what I figured about it being illegal and thank you for a quick response. So what would be my best bet??? I highly doubt I'll even be able to get a permit living in Syracuse, which is why I wasn't even considering it. Mainly because I have connections in a different county and about 1500 more a year in insurance cost. If I suck up the money issue and over look my ties, what are the chances of obtaining one here in Syracuse??? Quick background about me: 25, male, CDL-A holder with hazmat endorsement, clean record (not even a speeding ticket). Personally I should be able to get a CCW if I'm trusted with hazmat, but I know that doesn't matter

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Personally I should be able to get a CCW if I'm trusted with hazmat, but I know that doesn't matter
thats what you think, i know some cops, corrections officers and soldiers that are denied ccw's here in NY.

you'll have to prove residency in whatever county you want a permit in.

also there's a couple people here that very recently obtained CCW in syracuse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what you think, i know some cops, corrections officers and soldiers that are denied ccw's here in NY.
e
That's exactly the reason I said it doesn't matter. i have enough things sent to my house and if I change my license to my current address, that should be enough to prove where i live. Right?? Another question that i have is if i get denied for a CCW and get a sportsman instead, is it still legal to use thru out the state? <If that makes sense

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The references won't be an issue, plus I do have connections in the court house
LOL -- and that means what?... Absolutely nothing.

It's not lying to NOT say that you live elsewhere from your mailing address, but it is deceitful, and could come back to bite you in teh ass. If you wanna be snky snky and risk losing any chance of getting a permit, only supply your mailing address as your permanent address.

If you want to go about it the correct way, talk to the county clerk and ask what the procedure should be, perhaps you just have to add the physical address to an amended form or something

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
That's exactly the reason I said it doesn't matter. i have enough things sent to my house and if I change my license to my current address, that should be enough to prove where i live. Right?? Another question that i have is if i get denied for a CCW and get a sportsman instead, is it still legal to use thru out the state? <If that makes sense
Any ccw issued by any county in NY is valid anywhere in NY except for NYC. Just consider NYC a 51st state that happens to be the only state with a license recognized by NY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts