New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obama warning a rejection of his healthcare law would be act of "judicial activism"

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama took an opening shot at conservative justices on the Supreme Court on Monday, warning that a rejection of his sweeping healthcare law would be an act of "judicial activism" that Republicans say they abhor.........

Obama takes a shot at Supreme Court over healthcare | Reuters

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I completely agree with this quote

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said at a news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Strictly speaking forcing people to buy health insurance is unconstitutional as is forcing people to pay a fine or "tax" of the cost they would of paid had they complied. Constitutionally the federal government cant mandate health insurance. The individual states could like auto insurance but the federal government can't

The reason I agree with Obama's quote above is because our judicial system including SCOTUS are not fair and impartial. I would say 98% of judges (just a number show that IMO most judges are this way) are influenced by their own personal beliefs. Legally speaking this law should be thrown out. Personally speaking though I think it means well but we cant afford it and even by Obama's own admission it is not a perfect system. Yet this was the solution to a system that wasn't perfect before. So I dont understand why we have to pay to replace a broken system with another broken system. I might have more faith in it if it wasn't for the fact that the people who passed it are exempt from it.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Pot calling the kettle black...
Oh just say it ... Black calling the kettle Black!!

"Conservative leaders say the law, which once fully implemented will require Americans to have health insurance or pay a penalty, was an overreach by Obama and the Congress that passed it." Why is it always "Conservatives say" when IT'S A FACT!!! What if I were to kick obama's azz so he can use his "obamacare" coverage so all Americans can see what it DOESN'T cover and what Dr's will NOT accept it??? There has to be a trial run on this crap right?? You all realize that this coverage of obama's will NOT be used by politicians!! It's so bad, they won't use the healthcare plan THEY PASSED!!! Read the entire 2700 pages ... I have gotten through 1854 of them. This is nothing more than YOU HAVING TO BUY YOUR HEALTHCARE FROM THE GOVT!! It also grants the govt the power to chose who dies and who lives!! No sh*t!! It gives them the power to say who can and can't have a heart transplant or other life saving procedure. It gives them the power to go through your healthcare history and your family health history and it also hints that it MAY be used to take out those who are less desirable. Kinda like you shooting a buck with weird antlers and saying you took it to get rid of "bad genes" in the breeding pool. Now I'm pizzed off again .......

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Now I'm pizzed off again .......
Good! be sure to tell all your friends and don't forget to vote this Nov. One of my best memories growing up was watching the country being painted red with Regan v. Carter. I didn't quite understand the joy my father got out of that night. I think it was the happiest I ever saw him. I understand now and am waiting for the day I can experience the same satisfaction. It would be bitter-sweet this November if one of the current GOP contenders pulls off a similar sweep. Reading the news, that seems unlikely. Good for me I don't believe the news anyway... Time to show this clown the door.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Good! be sure to tell all your friends and don't forget to vote this Nov.
Only one problem ... I believe there is "rigging" in the elections with all of the dead people shown to vote in previous elections and people's cats and dogs as well and I KNOW the electoral college is a joke!!! It doesn't represent the MAJORITY!! There have been more than a couple of elections where the candidate that received the MAJORITY of votes across America LOST!!! I have no faith in this system. Was taught to accept it in school .. but they obviously lied about how it really works. How about we just impeach his azz NOW!!! Why are politicians allowed to get away with this?? Isn't this the reason for having an impeachment process??? This guy has created a tyranny.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only one problem ... I believe there is "rigging" in the elections with all of the dead people shown to vote in previous elections and people's cats and dogs as well and I KNOW the electoral college is a joke!!! It doesn't represent the MAJORITY!! There have been more than a couple of elections where the candidate that received the MAJORITY of votes across America LOST!!! I have no faith in this system. Was taught to accept it in school .. but they obviously lied about how it really works. How about we just impeach his azz NOW!!! Why are they allowed to get away with this?? Isn't this the reason for having an impeachment process??? This guy has created a tyranny.
Brother I had to second glance "rigging" in your post hahahaha

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The problem is Obama didn't start the fire. The "executive order" and the idea of the President having a role in making laws isn't new, and both parties' presidents have done it. The problem is more and more that people are viewing the Constitution as a suggestion/guideline/joke and just kind of winging it. The Constitution very clearly states that the president doesn't have that much power outside of being Commander in Chief, and has absolutely zero ability to introduce legislation into Congress. You see, there's three branches to the government...and he's not in that one.

So in this compromised republic we're rolling with, two wrongs don't make a right may not be the best strategy. Yes it was wrong for the president to introduce legislation into Congress, and yes it was wrong for Congress to pass it despite overwhelming opposition from their constituencies. And yes its wrong for the Supreme Court to shape the landscape of this nation based on their personal beliefs.

Fortunately, I think the personal beliefs of the conservative justices, and the Constitution, agree on this issue. I don't think its Constitutional for the government to mandate you buy ANYTHING. Remember, the job of SCOTUS is to rule whether the Constitution is being violated, and in this case I think it is.

I do agree that on a state by state basis this would be legal. The tenth amendment (the most important one after the first two) gives the states all the power that isn't specifically assigned to the federal government. The biggest problem with this country is the amount of stuff that is done on a federal level, when it should be happening at a state level, if at all.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I do agree that on a state by state basis this would be legal. The tenth amendment (the most important one after the first two) gives the states all the power that isn't specifically assigned to the federal government. The biggest problem with this country is the amount of stuff that is done on a federal level, when it should be happening at a state level, if at all.
Ron Paul for President 2012

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Pot is green

·
Registered
215 Posts
A federal appeals court is striking back after President Obama cautioned the Supreme Court against overturning the health care overhaul and warned that such an act would be "unprecedented."*

A three-judge panel for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ordered the Justice Department to explain by Thursday whether the administration believes judges have the power to strike down a federal law.*
- Judges Order Justice Department To Clarify Obama Remarks On Health Law Case | Fox News

This should get interesting quick.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
...or what? Does the court have recourse if the administration refuses to respond? Or is this just gamesmanship?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts