New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I was reading that. It pisses me off that a president can even do an executive order and bypass congress.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I didnt read the order itself but from the article it sounds like they cant just shut the internet off or anything like because of national security reasons. To me it sounds like the president can hijack those temporarily to send messages to vital people needing to respond.

For example he could take control of all tv channels and broadcast his message for certain people or groups to respond to where ever for whatever emergency. He could also broadcast over the radio his message and also use the internet to reach people. But that is how I interpret the article to mean what he can do. I dont think it gives him the power to keep the people in the dark and prevent them from communicating.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Also this is either for evil reasons down the road, or the president has been watching independence day too many times or the government knows of a disaster or attack that is coming.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, with the inept Wizard using smoke and mirrors and the munchkins blindly following his lead. Only difference, the Wizard was actually looking out for the munchkins.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I was reading that. It pisses me off that a president can even do an executive order and bypass congress.
Many Presidents have enacted Executive orders (W pushed several of them through, i.e. one being to limit stem cell research indefinitely which was overturned after W was done with his term). Start a war (or participate in a current war)...executive orders can be passed. If the Executive orders are crap, they can be overturned by the next elected President, but unfortunately we're stuck with them until that President's term ends or is removed from office for one reason or another. On another note, we're in the midst of having one of the worst, do-nothing Congress's in our Nation's history. No matter who the President, I cannot blame them for shooting some things over Congress. Executive orders however should be restricted - the fact that W got one through that was motivated by religion (stem cell research limitations) was quite infuriating to say the least.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if this "private communications" debacle allows the net, cell phone networks, etc. to be shut down/interrupted for an emergency broadcast system type of deal in the event of an emergency (i.e. a Comet is headed for the Earth). Not sure if this particular Executive order is something to lose any sleep over. The media will likely twist it to provoke fear and/or anger amongst the public.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
A similar control of communication networks (internet and cell phones, in addition to state controlled tv and radio) was used in Egypt last year. Now look who's in charge there. Cool.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you do your research you will find that Executive Orders can only be done in a time of war.

So how has every President since Lincoln gotten away with it?

Read the Lieber Code of 1863. It was the treaty which laid out how a victorious army handles a defeated enemy. Pay attention to Article 2 which says that the treaty is only ended upon special proclamation or by Peace Treaty ending the conflict.

Guess what? There was no peace treaty ending the CW and no special declaration was made.

How can they get away with it? Read the Constitution. It says the laws passed and any TREATIES are the law of the land. Then go research how many Intl. Treaties the "USA" has signed. Destroys the illusion of sovereignty.

We are at perpetual war and considered to be hostiles until we are not.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
^ This, and why executive orders should be VERY limited in scope, something that must be passed into law as a direct result of a war situation. I can see how this private communications deal could be related to a war scenario, it's a stretch, but one could argue for it in a war situation...but provisions limiting stem cell research (W passed that one)?? How the hell does that relate to war??

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
^ This, and why executive orders should be VERY limited in scope, something that must be passed into law as a direct result of a war situation. I can see how this private communications deal could be related to a war scenario, it's a stretch, but one could argue for it in a war situation...but banning stem cell research (W passed that one)?? How the hell does that relate to war??
Bush didn't "ban" stem cell research. He limited federal funding for specific types of such. Good for him. Wish more presidents would limit federal funding.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Changed "ban" to "limit". Either way, the fact that Executive orders can be dished out for almost anything is the problem. We'll always be involved in the "war on terror" and the "war on drugs", shouldn't give a President a blank check to pass laws that are motivated by personal beliefs or something unrelated to a war, moreover, an attack on our territory.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
War? What War? I didn't think Congress approved a War.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
similar to this are the government's GETS and WEPS programs...I have a card that in an emergency, i dial a number, enter a code and am guaranteed a line (even bumps people off if needed)....that started after 9/11 since the comms were so clogged.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Bush didn't "ban" stem cell research. He limited federal funding for specific types of such. Good for him. Wish more presidents would limit federal funding.
And he stopped funding the only form of stem-cell research which has shown no promise at all despite having so much money dumped into it. Had we been less focused on that and more focused on other forms, we may have just already have been able to go to the hospital and had them regrow organs off of a scraping of dead skin and a petri dish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts