New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NYU student busted for building air rifles in dorm room - NYPOST.com
I realize I am new here, so please forgive me if this isn't the greatest first post ever. It's just that I read this article today, and it really felt like a little bit of my soul died.

I recognize that the student broke the law. I recognize we have a duty to know what the law is and follow it. I recognize that this is a nation of laws, and we all expected to be responsible and follow those laws. If we disagree with a law, we have to fight it in the legislature or the judiciary. I get all this, but come on. Airsoft? He was arrested for building and/or possessing airsoft guns?

What's going to happen, he's going to go on a rampage and lightly bruise 30 people? I've never used an airsoft gun, but don't they shoot little, light plastic pellets? Am I missing something? I get the part about them looking like real firearms, so is that the reason it's an issue? If he painted them bright orange would he have been okay? I mean apart from someone thinking they are a real firearm, what is the possible public safety issue?

The quote at the end from the resident about being surprised there were "guns" in his dorm absolutely killed me. It's not a gun, it's a very expensive toy. I mean seriously. Next arrest will be the model rocket club on charges they were making weapons of mass destruction.

Stuff like this is just utter insanity. I can't believe this is what people think is how society should be. For all the Reservoir Dogs fans in the audience, I feel like need Harvey Keitel to walk into my office and start singing, "you're going to be okaaayyy, you're going to be okaaayyy, say the f$%&ing wooooorrrds, you're going to be okaaayyyy." that sis what goes through my mind when I read stuff like this. I hope we all come to our senses soon. This is beyond ridiculous.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
"It's very scary to know there were guns one floor below me. I had no idea," said one of Goal's co-workers, who described him as pleasant and a hard worker. "But knowing Bernard I'm not scared."

Wow. Scary airsoft...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
NYU student busted for building air rifles in dorm room - NYPOST.com
I realize I am new here, so please forgive me if this isn't the greatest first post ever. It's just that I read this article today, and it really felt like a little bit of my soul died.
Welcome to the Resistance.

We all know the feeling you're having right now, it's why so many of us are stepping up with our donations and actions to put a stop to this kind of nonsense. Keep the faith, and consider yourself in good company, the story you shared underscores just how out of control the grabbers are getting.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
"It's very scary to know there were guns one floor below me. I had no idea," said one of Goal's co-workers"
Oh No! And there was some crazed guy with water balloons in the dorm room one floor above her! Madness...pure madness!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Keep in mind that this is also the NY Post - so sensationalism will always run high:> - NYC AFAIK outright bans ownership of Airsoft or BB/Pellet guns if that tells you anything! You can get a permit for an actual gun with a little bit of time and a lot of money, but you can't own/poses these types of weapons er toys er whatever they are (which seems... absurd, but it maybe stemmed from the 90's when NYPD was shooting kids with black water pistols left and right)

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Oh No! And there was some crazed guy with water balloons in the dorm room one floor above her! Madness...pure madness!
The grenade ones which are extra dangerous!

IMG_0220.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny thing is... I go to NYU as well and knew the kid. Its weird thinking about having the same class together. I was gonna make a thread about it but decided not to since I very seldom post on this site and just lurk in the back. Didn't think it would get blown out of proportions with his face on the headlines of certain media sites. But since all the gun-control talk is hot now a days, I wasn't surprised. I love how the media keeps saying he had a "factory" or completely building them in his dorm... as far as im know, he probably was just doing some hop-up upgrades. But that is NYC like other posters said..

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recognize we have a duty to know what the law is and follow it. I recognize that this is a nation of laws, and we all expected to be responsible and follow those laws.
I have believed this for most of my life, but every day I find this harder and harder to get behind. I am begining to believe that we are a nation of convoluted contradictory laws, that no one person can realistically be expected to know or understand.

This law is as ridiculous as saying you must have a permit to bring a horse into NYC, but rocking horses are banned. No one in their right mind would expect that a none regulated piece of equipment used to play games would be banned.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Funny thing is... I go to NYU as well and knew the kid. Its weird thinking about having the same class together. I was gonna make a thread about it but decided not to since I very seldom post on this site and just lurk in the back. Didn't think it would get blown out of proportions with his face on the headlines of certain media sites. But since all the gun-control talk is hot now a days, I wasn't surprised. I love how the media keeps saying he had a "factory" or completely building them in his dorm... as far as im know, he probably was just doing some hop-up upgrades. But that is NYC like other posters said..
Just to be clear here, were talking about air soft guns right? The toys?

There is a level of suck in this thread, just for existing, that is new. A new level of it, its different. Thanks for giving some detail. And thanks for sharing OP, keep us on are toes, and aware of the fact we live with INSANE people.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's really starting to get unbearable. I've been shooting since I was 5, I'm 38 now, and I have always gone above and beyond to be in compliance with every rule and regulation. What this kid did was obviously illegal. He probably never checked the law because who would actually think that airsoft is illegal. I make sure to read, and do my absolute best to understand, the law. Unfortunately, these days it seems like I know more about the law than those that wrote it, and those that are enforcing it. That translates into the real possibility of me getting aressted, while be in full compliance with everything, and then it costing me a bundle of money to clear myself. I'd definitely lose my job, regardless. I have a state professional license for what I do, so that would be gone, at least temporarily. Finally, I would most likely never be able to work in my profession again, as the incident would most likely be made public, and any future prospective employer wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole, even if I were exonerated. I'm probaly just paranoid from the relentless persecution. I'll just be over here in the corner making myself a new tin foil hat.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
"was busted after a startled maintenance crew spotted a pair of realistic looking rifles on his bed while he was out and alerted campus security."

The nation of tattle tales...

Like someone going to shoot up a school would leave the firearms out in plain sight.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I heard the suspect had a Super Soaker xp 80. The most deadly of all water guns.
I don't know about the Airsofts but I think you can easily obtain a premises permit for a Super Soaker within city limits. Just a few dollars at the local precinct and a few month's wait on the background check and application approval.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts