New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
A quote from the previously linked NY.gov website:

So, is New York’s law overturned? Can I carry a concealed weapon without a permit?
  • This also means you cannot legally carry a concealed firearm outside of your home in New York State if you only have a license to possess a gun in your home.
This does not jibe with the decision's assertion that we do have the right to carry outside the home. If you have a permit and a legally possessed handgun, you can carry it. Don't take what the State says, take what the Court said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So with this ruling does it change anything for someone with a restricted permit? Sure would be nice not having to spend money on one of their approved courses just to potentially have your permit restrictions dropped with no guarantee.
It seems that if you already have an issued Hunting/Target (not premises) conceal carry permit, this ruling likely does away with those restrictions and makes it a full carry. You already went through the background check (fingerprints, references, criminal history, etc....) and have been approved by your local officer or Judge, the restricted license. Prior to this decision, you could only get an unrestricted carry permit if you showed good cause or special need. If you couldn't, you could only get a Hunting/Target carry restricted license. Since those "restrictions" have now been held unconstitutional, your currently issued license likely converts automatically to a full carry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree. I would also think it would be difficult to justify and impose new overly restrictive requirements (the “normal” permitting process remaining) to obtain a pistol license AFTER the decision if none of these promised “beefed up” requirements were deemed necessary PRIOR to the recent court decision.
If the process was good enough to qualify you for pistol license last week, the requirements should be just as satisfactory this week. One’s ability to carry unrestricted has been inferred by the removal of the “special need” stipulation.
If, last week, certain areas were NOT considered to be sensitive to a full carry permit holder, why should these areas suddenly become sensitive simply due to the fact that a group of restricted carry permit holders had their restricted classification removed.
I believe they will try, but I don’t think they will be successful. Smells a lot like pre-election posturing to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your female Cuomo gov. is going to call a special secession of the legislators to talk gun control. I am willing to wager they will put many many new restrictions and hoops to jump thru higher fees, classes and any other things they can dream up to get a carry permit and they will be very time consuming and costly. Glad I have been out of NY for 5 yrs. 9 mo and 24 days but who is counting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothing has changed at least in my county. I tried on Friday to get my restrictions unrestricted. (I have sportsman/residence now).
Here in Rockland County they told me the Supreme Court ruling is irrelevant. Until they here otherwise from the Governor I still require just cause to get my licence unrestricted. They said the process remains unchanged and if I want to carry outside my home I must write a letter to the judge explaining my valid reason to carry and the judge will decide of my reason to carry is valid or not.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Nothing has changed at least in my county. I tried on Friday to get my restrictions unrestricted. (I have sportsman/residence now).
Here in Rockland County they told me the Supreme Court ruling is irrelevant. Until they here otherwise from the Governor I still require just cause to get my licence unrestricted. They said the process remains unchanged and if I want to carry outside my home I must write a letter to the judge explaining my valid reason to carry and the judge will decide of my reason to carry is valid or not.
LOL "the supreme court is irrelevant" - you should have followed that statement up with the question "are you retarded?"

Reactions: Boricuabxbomber

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's amazing. I would write a letter to the judge...... and ask him/her what they think the decision actually means. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's amazing. I would write a letter to the judge...... and ask him/her what they think the decision actually means. Unbelievable.
I did today. Put in my request in writing to the judge to ask for his permission to have my restrictions lifted. Went through the regular process as instructed by the county clerk and filled out the just cause portion of the form. I wrote "Self Defence as permitted by nysrpa v Bruen."
We shall see what happenes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree. I would also think it would be difficult to justify and impose new overly restrictive requirements (the “normal” permitting process remaining) to obtain a pistol license AFTER the decision if none of these promised “beefed up” requirements were deemed necessary PRIOR to the recent court decision.
If the process was good enough to qualify you for pistol license last week, the requirements should be just as satisfactory this week. One’s ability to carry unrestricted has been inferred by the removal of the “special need” stipulation.
If, last week, certain areas were NOT considered to be sensitive to a full carry permit holder, why should these areas suddenly become sensitive simply due to the fact that a group of restricted carry permit holders had their restricted classification removed.
I believe they will try, but I don’t think they will be successful. Smells a lot like pre-election posturing to me.
After reading the last couple of weeks of comments on all forums I think this is the most logical and sensible response. I would like to quote this in another forum in NY of course credit will be noted to you the author.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The absurd and hateful response of the current NY leftist administration to the SCOTUS ruling by imposing even more subjective standards to obtain a license and the crazy blanket prohibitions in carrying in any business will never be upheld by the federal courts unless the leftist activist judges decide to oppose the supreme court. Then it will have to drag through the system. It's in the blood of these leftist fanatics to oppose any law or ruling they don't like, but we would have hell to pay if we tried that. Alot of people are having to renew their licenses this December, in 6 months. Let's hope this crap gets all struck down before then or we'll have have our social media accounts scrutinized. What pure BS!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you look at history, the answer is simple.

When the motor vehicle was brought to the common man, they didn't need a license and definitely no registration of the vehicle.
As time went on, they discovered that anyone can purchase, but not everyone could drive.
Proof of ability to operate a motor vehicle was necessary. I guess too many pedestrians were getting run over.
They started with a permit issued by local officials.
Then the permit became a state-wide license.
Motor vehicles are dangerous and can cause a lot of damage, so here comes the insurance requirement.

If you see my point. It's not just guns, they have been limiting and controlling our lives for years. The issue is more of a personal decision, do you want to live in a city where everyone can run you over and not be able to pay for damages.

1. I see NYC Permit becoming an NYC Concealed Carry license (allowing more than just pistols).
  2. Proper training will be required to prove you can operate a firearm safely.
  3. Insurance will be required,( if they can get away with it). Be advised, Insurance will not pay if it is determined you committed a crime.
They can't beat the SCOTUS rule, but they will profit from it somehow. That's what politicians do!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you look at history, the answer is simple.

When the motor vehicle was brought to the common man, they didn't need a license and definitely no registration of the vehicle.
As time went on, they discovered that anyone can purchase, but not everyone could drive.
Proof of ability to operate a motor vehicle was necessary. I guess too many pedestrians were getting run over.
They started with a permit issued by local officials.
Then the permit became a state-wide license.
Motor vehicles are dangerous and can cause a lot of damage, so here comes the insurance requirement.

If you see my point. It's not just guns, they have been limiting and controlling our lives for years. The issue is more of a personal decision, do you want to live in a city where everyone can run you over and not be able to pay for damages.

1. I see NYC Permit becoming an NYC Concealed Carry license (allowing more than just pistols).
  2. Proper training will be required to prove you can operate a firearm safely.
  3. Insurance will be required,( if they can get away with it). Be advised, Insurance will not pay if it is determined you committed a crime.
They can't beat the SCOTUS rule, but they will profit from it somehow. That's what politicians do!
the main difference between cars and guns is driving is not a right

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Just wanted to share.

I submitted my amendment yesterday for Westchester. She told me not to hand in the attachment sheet where you explain your reason for requesting it. They only needed the two copies of the amendment form. They also did the notary for me in the other office.

They said for right now they’re accepting all unrestricted amendments but they’re just being piled in a box in the order they’re received and not being looked at yet. Apparently, as of yesterday, there is still no direction yet as to what they’re doing with the full carry applications. She said likely it will be many months before we hear back, and also a new firearm amendment can’t be submitted until this is finished, so likely we can’t buy any firearms for the foreseeable future. Very frustrating since I have a Ruger Mark IV sitting with the FFL.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Just wanted to share.

I submitted my amendment yesterday for Westchester. She told me not to hand in the attachment sheet where you explain your reason for requesting it. They only needed the two copies of the amendment form. They also did the notary for me in the other office.

They said for right now they’re accepting all unrestricted amendments but they’re just being piled in a box in the order they’re received and not being looked at yet. Apparently, as of yesterday, there is still no direction yet as to what they’re doing with the full carry applications. She said likely it will be many months before we hear back, and also a new firearm amendment can’t be submitted until this is finished, so likely we can’t buy any firearms for the foreseeable future. Very frustrating since I have a Ruger Mark IV sitting with the FFL.
Classic NY they managed to turn what should have been a huge victory for you into a fucking infringement. No amendments for new purchases for months? Good lord, someone needs a lawyer to start suing these guys, it'd be like free money if it makes it to the SCOTUS.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Good lord, so they are just piling up all the amendment forms and have no idea what to do with them? Based on SCOTUS ruling they need to start going through them and granting the restriction removals, this is some huge BS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GOA and FPC have already filed lawsuits to strike down these new laws. Some of the provisions are blatantly unconstitutional and for other the infrastructure isn't in place to enforce them. I see much of what is in this new law can thrown out by the state courts. While the state courts may not be all that 2A friendly the Supreme Court has raised the level of scrutiny that must be applied when creating laws that infringe on a fundamental Constitutional right and these laws will not meet that standard.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Based on the new laws, if you're a business owner and you also happen to have a full carry permit, you are committing a felony bringing your own gun into your own business, unless you post a sign in the window allowing all gun holders entry, correct? Incredulous.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let's be real. Once the bill goes into force, useful concealed carry is finished in NYS. You may not have restrictions but everywhere is restricted.

The sensitive list and need to post a GUNS ARE WELCOME here sign knocks out carry.

Going back up the chain will take years and the outcomes are doubtful. Thus, the decision was a nice ideological move but a defeat for reality. Unless Scotus has a fast track shadow agenda and can clearly and unambiguously realize that private property bans are the tools of banners and the sensitive places are based on emotion as compared to empirical reasons (libraries should be quiet, God will protect you in church or temple, etc.) states can make carry useless. The restriction process was a quick and easy way for some counties to ban carry. It let the big population centers have their way. Who cared in the NY version of Mayberry had carry, NYC was 'pure'. Now the banners were forced to act and they basically out thought Clarence.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts