New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
any backroumd on this guy im for him reguardless just looking to see what his history is
As I know Paul quite well, I can attest to two things: 1) He is a friend of the Constitution as it is written and believes that the Second Amendment is unambiguous about the RKBA, and 2) His opponent does not. I will post the text of a Buffalo News article from 2001 below; contrast this article with the knowledge that, as a Niagara County Legislator, Paul helped draft that county's SAFE Act Repeal resolution, as well as past resolutions opposing Micro-stamping and COBIS.

Please read this article, and then let your friends in the 8th JD understand who Mr. Montour is before next Tuesday:

GUN SALES UNDER FIRE; LAWMAKER TARGETED IN LANCASTER

The Buffalo News (Buffalo, NY)
April 11, 2001 | DEIDRE WILLIAMS

When Richard Zarbo is not fighting fires in Buffalo, he is sitting on the Lancaster Town Board.

And when he is not doing either, he is selling guns on the Internet.

Big, powerful guns, military-style weapons -- even one capable of piercing tanks.

A gun enthusiast for many years, Zarbo opened a home gun shop five years ago with the town's approval and has been buying and selling guns ever since. It is all legal and aboveboard.

But in recent weeks, as word spread that he added Internet sales a year ago as a way of advertisement, more local residents learned what kinds of guns Zarbo is selling. And now an uproar is brewing in the often politically volatile town.

Fliers alerting residents to "assault weapons for sale in town" were anonymously dropped in mailboxes. Outraged residents wrote letters to the weekly newspaper. Former political opponents started taking shots.

Even two of Zarbo's fellow Town Board members are joining the fray, questioning the legality of his business itself -- regardless of whether the Internet is involved.

"The permit we granted was for a repair shop, I thought. It had nothing to do with the buying and selling of guns over the Internet. I don't like the idea," said Supervisor Robert Giza. "I don't mind if someone is going to hunt or target practice or use guns for protection, but an assault rifle is for an army. (The people who buy these weapons) are not using them for hunting or sport."

Councilman Mark A. Montour agreed.

"I think for an elected official, it's morally deficient for him to be making such sales available on the Internet here in Lancaster," said Montour. "If he's selling assault rifles, I'd find it objectionable at any site, whether it's on the Internet, his house or as a street corner vendor."

Zarbo, a Republican, says his Democratic colleagues are playing politics. He does not repair guns and said he never planned to.

"They are lying if they say they don't know what the permit was for. I had to show them plans, where everything was in my house and exactly what I would be doing," he said.

Documents show Zarbo applied for a special-use permit from the town in March 1996, saying he is federally licensed to buy, sell and trade rifles and shotguns, and that he wants to open a home occupation gun shop. His letter said it would be a low-volume business and that he does not trade or sell handguns.

The Town Board unanimously approved the gun shop in a resolution that does not state the specific transactions permitted.

Zarbo is one of about 2,000 federally licensed gun dealers in the upstate region, said James McNally, a spokesman for the Buffalo office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Five active federal licensees are in Lancaster, including Zarbo, although all are not necessarily selling guns.

McNally said Internet gun sales are not a particular problem to the ATF.

Mainly, Zarbo said, he buys and sells -- on the Internet and at his basement office -- dealer to dealer. Last year, he sold 24 weapons using the Web site. Many of his customers are police officers and prison guards, he said. His offerings vary from hunting rifles and shotguns to military style assault weapons, including some outlawed guns that are grandfathered, or protected, from a 1994 federal ban.

Zarbo does not sell handguns because that is not where his interest lies.

Among the guns posted on the Web site is a short-barreled, powerful 12-gauge shotgun with a pistol grip, known as "The Persuader," which sells new for $226.

There is a .50-caliber rifle, which is 59 inches long and weighs 41 pounds, capable of firing ammunition that could pierce armor. The gun sells for $2,250.

And Zarbo said he is also selling the only Daewoo TR-2000 in the area, a Korean-made, .223-caliber gun that was banned in the United States, but not before 12,000 of them made it into the country. One lists for $900 on his Web site.

"Its a highly sought-after assault weapon," he said at a recent Town Board meeting where a resident raised the issue. "And it's all very legal."

Zarbo is employed as a Buffalo firefighter and said his gun shop is a part-time business that grew out of hobby. A gun collector all his life, Zarbo said an uncle once owned a gun store, and his mother even owned a grocery store that had a gun shop in the back.

"Cops used to come buy guns off my uncle," he said.

As part of his interest in guns, Zarbo is also a self-described advocate of responsible gun ownership. He has publicly offered free trigger locks to any Lancaster guns owners who complete a gun safety course.

Buffalo Fire Commissioner Cornelius Keane, who is Zarbo's boss at the fire Department, said he had been unaware of Zarbo's gun business.

"But it's really none of my business what they do on off-duty time, as long as they abide by our rules and regulations, which forbids them to carry one while on duty," Keane said.

Local police officials are not too thrilled about Zarbo's firearms dealership, but they say there is little they can do about it.

"I'd be concerned about anyone selling that kind of high-powered weaponry, but there is nothing illegal about what he is doing," said Lancaster Police Chief Thomas E. Fowler.

Within the Town of Lancaster, however, Zarbo's hobby has become everyone's business.

The Internet posting brought his gun sales to many people's attention, but critics say it is not the online business that troubles them -- it is what is being sold.

Montour and Giza said they became aware of Zarbo's gun dealing a few months ago, through fliers and word-of-mouth on the street.

Montour said he has been checking into the legality of revoking the permit ever since.

"I don't know if we can, if it's legally possible, but I am doing some research," he said.

So is Giza, who says efforts to stop the business may be fruitless.

"Just hope the guns don't get into the wrong hands and hurt somebody," he said. "I had hoped his clear conscience would convince him to stop selling them on his own."

It is unlikely Zarbo will close up shop, especially since he feels he did what was required of him by going through the proper channels in the first place.

"This is totally political," Zarbo said. "I'm not up for re- election. He (Montour) is. They are trying to dream up an issue, and they couldn't have created one at a better time."

COPYRIGHT 2007 The Buffalo News. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All inquiries regarding rights or concerns about this content should be directed to Customer Service. For permission to reuse this article, contact Copyright Clearance Center.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to be clear, this is the money quote where Montour is concerned:

"I think for an elected official, it's morally deficient for him to be making such sales available on the Internet here in Lancaster," said Montour. "If he's selling assault rifles, I'd find it objectionable at any site, whether it's on the Internet, his house or as a street corner vendor."

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
That article is very interesting. I happen to know one of the Gizas, didn't realize that some maybe more of his family is anti 2A. Talked to him many times about 2A also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.