New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Write your State Senator to drop this mess....

State Sen. Michael Gianaris crafting package of bills to give New York the nation's toughest gun laws - NY Daily News

• Limit handgun purchases to 1 per month
  • 10 day waiting period for firearms purchases
  • background checks for all gun sales
  • All AMMO and firearms sales must be reported to NYS DOCriminal Services within 24 hours
  • Ammo sales to permitted dealers only (no internet sales I imagine)
  • Safety Courses

"New York has more than our fair share of gun violence, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be leading the nation in providing for the safety of our citizens," Gianaris said.His slate of bills is in addition to measures already pending before the Legislature - a ban on assault weapons; a requirement for cartridge-case microstamping to help solve gun crimes; and a measure to strengthen laws providing for guns to have child-safety locks.
Gianaris has worked on the legislative plan over the past several weeks along with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a leading national gun control advocacy group. Each year, the Brady Center ranks states according to its gun-control laws. Last year, New York's laws placed as fourth toughest, trailing California, New Jersey and Massachusetts.
Gianaris said his proposals are designed to remedy areas where the Brady Center gave New York low marks.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I just want to point something out about these suggested laws. These laws will do absolutely nothing to prevent crime. Criminals will get ammo and guns the illegal way anyways so this does nothing to track down criminal after the fact. These laws also do not help in the tragedy's we have had in the last few weeks because they prevent nothing and people that go on shooting rampages are either caught or killed.

These laws to raise taxes to pay for implementation, hinder law abiding citizens, and violate the 2nd amendment.

If I remember Einsteins quote correctly, he said "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". So why will new firearms laws change anything?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I almost want to see the ammo reporting actually happen. Within 2 weeks they will be overwhelmed with the thousands of us that buy thousands of rounds a month, and they will totally bog down and become 100% ineffectual at anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
  • All AMMO and firearms sales must be reported to NYS DOCriminal Services within 24 hours
  • Safety Courses
Welp, that's it guys. I'm out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I almost want to see the ammo reporting actually happen. Within 2 weeks they will be overwhelmed with the thousands of us that buy thousands of rounds a month, and they will totally bog down and become 100% ineffectual at anything.
Or make you wait until you "clear", however many days or weeks that takes. I don't think any of us wants this, but we are under assault at this point. Now is a good time to call your State Senator and ask where he/she stands on these issues. It's time to become more politically active.
I am tired of having 5 counties dictate to the rest of us what we should and shouldn't do, eat or drive, etc. Enough is enough already.

P.S. they might rush the vote on these.....

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

State Sen. Michael Gianaris crafting package of bills to give New York the nation's toughest gun laws - NY Daily News
  • Safety Courses
[/FONT]
Obviously this is about the CO shooting. Let's see what we would stop with this:

Limit handgun purchases to 1 per month
-Planned months ahead completely useless.

10 day waiting period for firearms purchases
-Planned months ahead, completely useless.

background checks for all gun sales
-Clean background, completely useless.

All AMMO and firearms sales must be reported to NYS DOCriminal Services within 24 hours
-planned months ahead. A report of "ammo bought" does not a serial killer make. Completely useless.

Ammo sales to permitted dealers only (no internet sales I imagine)
-He didn't use the mythical 6,000 rounds in the shooting believe it or not. In fact I'd say he had well less than 1,000 rounds with him. That can be obtained with no second glances with one, perhaps 2 trips to a gun shop. Completely useless.

Safety Courses
-Clean record, clean mental health, would have no problem passing any courses. Completely useless.

6 suggestions. 6 completely useless rulings. I am displeased.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Didn't a Federal court just strike down a 1 handgun a month law in another state?

My letter will start of with,

Dear Senator Richie

Please propose the following bill

NYC is expelled from NYS. All land routes into and out of the city will have NYS National Guard Manned checkpoints to insure the freedom grabbers do not immigrate to NYS.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bet criminals laugh everytime some dumb politician tries to pass new guns laws. It's like their own personal comedy channel.

·
Registered
725 Posts
just posted this on his FB page

Do you realize that your proposed gun regulations will do nothing to prevent crime. You are trying to control criminals by proposing laws, laws that they do not follow in the first place. I am a legal gun owner, and I try to get out and shoot as often as I can. I have two questions. Have you ever handled a gun of any type? Are you familiar with the laws that are currently on the books, Federal, State, and City? The laws that you are trying to put into effect will have no effect on gun violence, they will only impede the sportsman and recreational shooter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This state is slowly going to crap. I usually am fine with a lot of the gun laws because they don't really effect my shooting but this is getting a little ridiculous. With many states having a whole bunch looser gun laws y is new York still trying g to be the ones against guns. Instead of making new laws y don't they try enforcing the ones that are on the books already. Sorry just had to get that out lol

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Also mentions 'assault weapon ban'.

Don't we ****ing already have one? For ****'s sake.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
His slate of bills is in addition to measures already pending before the Legislature — a ban on assault weapons; a requirement for cartridge-case microstamping to help solve gun crimes; and a measure to strengthen laws providing for guns to have child-safety locks.

What the hell bill are they referring to about banning assault weapons? How can they get more banned than they already are?

G

·
Wake up! Gun control is not, and has never been, about crime or safety. Gun control is about control. The end game is a total elimination of firearms in the hands of anyone but government agents. Stop obsessing over the foolishness of these laws......they are simply incremental steps toward total disarmament of the populous.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I usually am fine with a lot of the gun laws because they don't really effect my shooting but this is getting a little ridiculous. l
Thanks for thinking about the rest of us. The "it doesn't effect me so i don't care" attitude is ignorant.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Wake up! Gun control is not, and has never been, about crime or safety. Gun control is about control. The end game is a total elimination of firearms in the hands of anyone but government agents. Stop obsessing over the foolishness of these laws......they are simply incremental steps toward total disarmament of the populous.
This, stop trying to reason or waxing about the obvious points. It matters to noone. It's political pandering at best and at worst, another incremental step towards disarmament. Next you'll need a rifle permit.

It doesn't matter WHY and you waste your breath trying to rationalize it. Just fight it. Contact your NY state senator (address search here: Senators | New York State Senate ) and tell them you won't stand for it REGARDLESS of the reasoning.

·
Registered
35 Posts

• Safety Courses
    Hu

[/FONT]
These proposed laws will not make it's safety and the brady center is a joke. You can not protect your citizens by disarming them. Why is it so hard to understand? With record numbers of americans arming themselves you'd think politicians would stop trying to force the lie of gun control down our throats.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts