New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is hot off the press. I have first-hand knowledge that local NYS police departments are revoking pistol permits of those who are "blown-in" by the medical community for being prescribed anti-anxiety medications (for those who are in therapy for anxiety or depression), under the gray shroud of the UNSAFE Act. This is happening now folks, and it is likely to get worse.

EVERYONE needs to be aware of this, for the sake of keeping their pistol permit in NYS. Please spread this information around - Facebook, Twitter, by every means possible. We need to get the word out as quickly as possible.

If anyone faces such an ordeal with their pistol permit, or you know anyone in the future who faces this issue, you are urged to email [email protected]. It doesn't matter where you are located in NY.

By all means use this thread to discuss - this is something that was mentioned as a potential major issue with the new laws signed by Cuomo, and it's becoming reality.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
This is only going to prevent people that really need help or just need a small dose to not get help and then make them worse.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The medical community will pay a heavy price for this kind of BS, they've doing irreparable harm to Doctor/Patient confidentiality and people who actually need help will no longer seek it. I won't pretend like this is any surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but I'd hoped the medical community wouldn't be complicit in the agenda. This country is truly in deep trouble.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
This'll make for an interesting medical privacy vs Safe Act conflict.

You don't have to be crazy to live in NY but it helps.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
The medical community will pay a heavy price for this kind of BS, they've doing irreparable harm to Doctor/Patient confidentiality and people who actually need help will no longer seek it. I won't pretend like this is any surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but I'd hoped the medical community wouldn't be complicit in the agenda. This country is truly in deep trouble.
This was totally predicted.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
So whats the full scoop here? Are Dr's reporting to the NYSP? or are they getting the info from dispensaries? or what

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as how the information is being distributed from the medical practitioners to the NYS authorities, I hope to have more details on that soon. I'll know more shortly. This is related to an individual who has retained the Tresmond firm for legal representation in this matter. It happened very recently.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My Dr wanted to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication to me to help me gain weight. This is for post cancer treatment. I refused and she asked me why so I told her that with the new gun laws they will be confiscating guns from those on these types of drugs. She told me I was crazy and I just left with saying, look into the new NY Safe Act and read it.
If you have a link to a story on this I would love to see it. I'll send it to her in an email!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To reiterate. I think we all saw this coming. Please post any links to news / media for this.
Excellent suggestion - let's use this thread to also distribute out any other information (links, articles, etc.) related to pistol permit revocation/gun confiscation where anti-anxiety, therapy, or *any* mental health issue was a factor.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I'm about as far away from being depressed as one can get but developed a flying anxiety a while back. I've considered getting prescribed an antianxiety med just for flying but have held off for this exact reason. I need to do a little research.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ChrisWNY, I think a lawyer needs to ask the Gov or State AG if they have checked to see how many State Police Officers are on or have been on ant
anxiety medication. I expect this type of medication is pretty common among police. And if so have they removed there firearm and terminated employment?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Exactly..... What if you had a car accident, they run your blood for alcohol while you lay unconscious in hospital. You have your sidearm on you.... You pop for anxiety mess and bam..... You firearms end up in a melting pot and you in local rag sheet paper. Not far off from what could happen.

I'm about as far away from being depressed as one can get but developed a flying anxiety a while back. I've considered getting prescribed an antianxiety med just for flying but have held off for this exact reason. I need to do a little research.

·
www.tresmondlaw.com
442 Posts
Sadly, what Chris reported is true.

The cases are coming in.

The police departments also want to confiscate the magazines, claiming "They have no need for a magazine anymore".

I'll fill everyone in on the details later this afternoon. If you have an urgent problem, please email [email protected]

·
www.tresmondlaw.com
442 Posts
ChrisWNY, I think a lawyer needs to ask the Gov or State AG if they have checked to see how many State Police Officers are on or have been on ant
anxiety medication. I expect this type of medication is pretty common among police. And if so have they removed there firearm and terminated employment?
This is a FOIL request which the State would be loathe to grant.

This - without question - would result in an Article 78 proceeding. Believe me, there are plenty of tactics the government can use to delay FOIL records.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
this is a HIPPA violation, I hope any one what this happens to persues civil action

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is a HIPPA violation, I hope any one what this happens to persues civil action
Exactly what my wife said, who is a practicing P.A. in Amherst and Buffalo. It'll be interesting in how this all plays out. It's another chance to stick a thorn in Cuomo's side...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Someone help me understand this;
A Dr. or Psychologist sees a patient, decides that patient needs to be perscribed Anti Anxiety drugs and then releases that patient to the streets... Same Dr or Pschologist reports this to authorities...
Authorities decide or are directed (more than likely) to refuse pistol permits.

Someone has decided that the patient is a threat and cannot possibly own/carry a handgun but the Physician or Pschologist released them into society?

I'm no lawyer but sure sounds like someone is at fault here. Does this not sound like grounds for a law suit? Malpractice? If I'm that dangerous how could the physician release me?

Oh wait... maybe, just maybe this is back door Gun control at its finest.

Please feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

1 - 20 of 459 Posts