New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I cannot carry in NYC unless I get the permission of the police commish. Yeah good luck on that. Someone posted on another forum that Albany, Rensaleer County and Buffalo issued their own licenses, and any license outside those were invalid . Never heard such a thing.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I know that I cannot carry in NYC unless I get the permission of the police commish. Yeah good luck on that. Someone posted on another forum that Albany, Rensaleer County and Buffalo issued their own licenses, and any license outside those were invalid . Never heard such a thing.
Not true in Albany, I heard something about that as well but had heard that if you were going to be carrying you had to notify the police in advance. I called, that is not true, Carry on Garth

·
Registered
868 Posts
on the back of my permit its says: "except for retired police officers, not valid in NYC unless approved by the Police commissioner of that city."
Nothing about being restricted in any other part of the state!!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Back of my permit says if issued outside of NYC not valid for carry within NYC unless approved by the police commissioner of that city. Front says State of New York Orange County Unrestricted. Good enough for me. You should be good too. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with all who posted. Some guy from Yonkers says otherwise, he's wrong.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Permits issued are NYS Pistol Permits. Some counties put restrictions on them such as Erie County where Buffalo is located. Permits issued usually are for hunting/target shooting. Other restrictions are business and unrestricted. As far as I know NYS pistol permits are valid in NY with the exception of NYC.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
the only thing you would have to take into consideration is the rochester magazine law unless that is only for rifles. I don't recall exactly what they restricted. I just know you can't have an semi auto rifle with more than 5 rds in the city.

·
Registered
868 Posts
the only thing you would have to take into consideration is the rochester magazine law unless that is only for rifles. I don't recall exactly what they restricted. I just know you can't have an semi auto rifle with more than 5 rds in the city.
From a quick search looks like 17rd mag law for the City of Rochester

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree with all who posted. Some guy from Yonkers says otherwise, he's wrong.
Hrmm, this conversation seems vaguely familiar to me, I forgot who and where I was asked that (I think it was one of those "someone I know told me..." stories) but I quickly set them straight.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Albany law 193-2

Commissioner of Police authorized to issue permit to carry loaded firearms. Any person, except as provided in this article, who has occasion to carry a loaded revolver, pistol or firearm for his protection may apply to the Commissioner of Police, and such officer, if satisfied that the applicant is a proper and law-abiding person, shall give said person a permit allowing him to carry such loaded firearm for such period of time as he may deem proper. Any nonresident who does business in the City of Albany and has occasion to carry a loaded pistol, revolver or firearm while in said City must make application for permission to do so, to the Commissioner of Police, in the same manner as is required of residents of said City and shall be subject to the same conditions and restrictions.
I think it means Albany city will let you apply for a permit if you do business there but do not live there. I don't think it means they prohibit carrying on a permit from another county/city.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's his latest post:

It doesn't say it but it is TRUE.Being a Instructor and CRSO I have to know these things because I am asked and want to give accurate info.My license says the same thing but in Buffalo,Albany and Rensaleer Counties our unrestricted license IS NOT VALID in addition to NYC.Being Class A cities they are able to issue thier own carry licenses.Before you travel into these areas I would suggest you call the NY State Police.Would they try to give you trouble if armed in thier jurisdiction would depend upon the LEO that stops you

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
A coworker of mine was pulled over by Buffalo PD in downtown Buffalo for speeding last May. He has an unrestricted CCW permit issued by Niagara County and was carrying at the time. He notified the officer he was carrying, no problems, and was let go with a warning to slow it down. So there's a simple example disproving Mr. Yonkers' post.

Residents of Buffalo can apply for carry permits in the same manner as any other resident of Erie County. The Buffalo PD handles the investigation, but the applications are processed through the same Erie County pistol permit office.

Other than NYC, I'm not aware of any other NYS City or County that does not honor CCW permits issued by other Counties within NYS. For the very few who have carry permits in NYC, their permits are not valid outside of NYC. NYC is different because they might as well be in a different State. NYC carry permits are issued by the Police Commisioner and they do not recognize any other issuing authority.

Tell the guy from Yonkers to pull his head out of his arse!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
From the NYSP website:

Q - Is a pistol permit issued by a licensing officer in an upstate county valid in New York City?

No. A pistol permit issued by an upstate county is valid in any other county in New York State except New York City.

In order for an upstate licensee to lawfully carry a handgun in New York City, he/she must first make application with the New York City Police Department to have their permit "validated." An investigation will be conducted to determine the authenticity of the license, after which a "needs assessment" will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has sufficiently demonstrated a "need" to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided.The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a "need" suitable to receive authorization. In cases where "need" is sufficiently demonstrated, permission will be given, usually for a specific period of time, after which the process would start over again.​

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
My permit too says "Valid in NYS except NYC". NOT "Valid in NYS except NYC and a few other uptight counties."

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ok, I've got to ask, what is the definition of a "Class A" city? (and cite me a reference please) I've only heard one other person use that term (makes me wonder if this is the same person) while he was pontificating about some nonsense.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
NYS Penal code article 400.00 paragraph 6

6. License: validity. Any license issued pursuant to this section
shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or
ordinance
No license shall be transferable to any other person or
premises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not
otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective
throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the
city of New York
unless a special permit granting validity is issued by
the police commissioner of that city.
Whoever is telling you that you can't carry in buffalo and albany and colony is wrong. Those cities issue permits separate from the surrounding counties but they cannot invalidate the preemption in the state laws.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I feel that NYC should break off and become their own state, it is complete bull crap that permits are NYS and one city in the whole state has the right to refuse to let you carry. Allowing NYC to do this will eventually lead to other cities tyring to keep you from carrying . If it is in NYS then it should be valid in any county and any city period.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts