New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone hear the story on The Bob Lonsberry Show (WSYR radio) yesterday about the DMV's contract bidding for drivers licenses? It just goes to show how #%@*ed up our state gov't really is...
It seems the contract for producing licenses expired and came up for bid. The State announced that the cost had to come down from the previous contract (previous contract was $50 million) because of budget constraints and the bidders should tighten their belts because the State had to tighten it's own belt. The bids were opened and the company ( a NYS company) that owned the previous $50 million contract had bid $42 million and was the low bid. In it's infinite wisdom, the State awarded the contract to a Canadian company to the tune of $88 million!!! And it turns out they can't do color photos on the licenses, and they will use a stiff plastic (like a credit card)! I just don't get it!:bang: The local firm that was doing the work cut their cost by 16% and we award the deal to a "foreign" company whose bid is more than double! Maybe I'm missing something here, but that's the story I heard, and B. L. seems to be a stand up guy when it comes to knowing his facts!

· Registered
5,312 Posts

· Registered
2,536 Posts
I read the story. Hopefully they can void the contract because those licenses won't meed the federal requirements for the EDL.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I have my EDL from when the people were freaking about government tracking and info gathering. "How about we just go and GIVE it to another country then?"

· Registered
3,216 Posts
This is just an example of how government works at all levels. The way the gov spends money makes me want to puke. This kind of gov behavior is why this country is going to **** the bed. I am going to write the governor and reps, I hope the rest of you will follow suit.

· Registered
6,189 Posts
The bid was more? I thought they came in under the NY company. The NY company was pissed because they weren't told they could submit a price on B&W photos. There price was color.
From what I heard, they decided to go B&W to keep the price down with the Canadian company (the same company that prints the Canadian money). Color would have been more.

Either way you look at it, this whole thing stinks, and makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop.

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
So were going to pay more to Canada instead of paying less and keeping same licenses and also keeping that money in the state economy?
Wow that just makes no sense what so ever.

Your missing out on the income taxes of all those NYS employees too.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I'd love to read the purchase justification for this one. As someone who is and has been employed with local and state agencies and is occaionally involved with purchasing services or equipment when you accept a bid for purchase you have to write a justification on why you picked a certain bid proposal over others, especially if it's costing more or was the highest bidder.

· Registered
398 Posts
It seems like this is pretty fresh, under review and in flux. Also note that the current company who creates the licenses is based in the UK, but has some US based operations, (and the other loser was a Mass. based subsidiary of a French company), so this isn't really a foreign vs domestic company issue.

The news reporting is pretty much based on one AP story, but the indication is that the Canadian company won because of higher security on the document. I'm sure this is going to stretch out with Comptroller's office and in lawsuits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.