New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a nys certified security guard can i carry with my UNRESTRICTED ccw permit while working security? or do i need my armed guard license? I am not trying to claim to be or work as an armed guard until i have the proper permit however i would like to be able to carry for added protection while working! if that makes sense? thanks mike

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Probably not the place to seek this type of legal advise since being wrong could jeopardize your career, license, freedom.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
you know i was wondering the same thing a little while ago... im sure RPD or FTWNY has the answers!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am going to say no. First I am sure your employer would not want you too carry on the job. Second lets assume you are carrying concealed on the job and your employer doesnt know. So lets say you are attacked while working and your completely justified in the shooting. You are going to lose your job for carrying without permission and you are going to be charged for carrying without an armed guard license, possibly tresspassing if they say no weapons on the property you are on and you are opening yourself up more to lawsuits.

It really wouldnt be a good idea so I would say not too. But if you ask your employer and they say you can you will still be at risk but atleast your not the only one on the hook. If they say you can as well (very unlikely) then make sure you get it in writting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably not the place to seek this type of legal advise since being wrong could jeopardize your career, license, freedom.
maybe someone on here could point me in the right direction..... i have no clue who to ask this question too.. i asked 3 people officers and got 3 completely different answers......and called the erie county pistol permit office and they had no idea...... I WAS HOPING SOMEONE KNEW THE ANSWER BECAUSE THEY HAD THE SAME QUESTION!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my employer is completely ok with me carrying.... however i wanted to check the legality of it before i did!!!!!! i dont want to get in trouble thats y i ask!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
If you want to know who to ask then I would say employer first. If they say no then no point in asking anymore people. 2nd ask NYS department of licensing (the people you get your security license through in NYS) and 3rd to be extra safe ask a lawyer. Make sure you get everything in writting too so your covered.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would say your employer would say no, due to insurance issues. I dont think there is anything that would stop yo legally, so you would be risking your job and to be honest i wouldnt work any security now days without being armed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
idk if my response got lost in the mix but my employer is OK with me being armed!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you usmcvetran!!! i was planning on calling them next..!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bouncing private concerts/stags also work at bar but i dont carry there!!!! alcohol and guns dont mix! (not that im drinking while at work but..i wont carry at a bar)

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
bouncing private concerts/stags also work at bar but i dont carry there!!!! alcohol and guns dont mix! (not that im drinking while at work but..i wont carry at a bar)
You're probably one of the few bouncers in the area that aren't carrying.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
LEGALLY? As an unarmed guard CCW'ing "just in case"... probably a grey area - best to get some legal advice from someone qualified first. I'm leaning towards no because it may not fit in the definition of an armed security guard as far as New York is concerned. Outside of the framework of what New York puts in place, you're carrying at your own risk in that you can be fired and/or lose your guard license.

BUT - generally speaking, most clients who contract with a security guard company are very clear on whether or not a guard can carry a gun - or any weapon for that matter. More often than not - security guards are just there to satisfy insurance requirements by providing a presence, and nothing more.

HOWEVER... working as a bouncer in a night club, concert, etc... remember the one golden rule of firing your gun - know what's behind your intended target. If the intended target is in front of 100's of people - that can be problematic. Balance your (usually low) hourly wage without benefits against the (usually astronomical) cost for your legal defense should one of those people in the background get a taste of your deadly force. Most likely your employer and/or the client will NOT stand behind you and you're on your own.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
In uniform as and working as a NYS Registered Security Guard-without an ARMED Guard Registration from NYSDOS, you should not be carrying or intending to use your weapon and you run the risk of at a minimum losing your security guard status with NYSDOS, however you as a civilian have a Concealed Carry, so you may carry CONCEALED within the terms of your permit and restrictions of your county handgun permit......sound gray, it is. You may NOT OPEN CARRY as a guard without the NYS ARMED GUARD Training and upgrade to your NYSDOS Registration. Stop taking the risk of potential civil /criminal complications and get your Armed Guard Training and updgrade from NYSDOS as an Armed Guard. Then you will be covered all the way around, no questions asked in the terrible instance that you chose to deploy your handgun in hopefully what would be a legal and lawful matter.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If NYS wanted you to be able to carry without the Armed Guard license, they wouldn't have an Armed Guard license. Don't get yourself jammed up and just take the armed course.

ETA: Remember the most important word regarding carrying a firearm. Liability.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts