1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
This should be common knowledge (definitely common sense). I assumed it was taught in every academy....

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It would just suck to lose it while it goes into evidence for however long that is. Which is actually pretty silly, they should be able to just pull the recording and safely store that elsewhere, since it's just data, and give the phone back. Another example of how laws are far behind technology.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
what is wrong with having an incontrovertible Record ..???
Nothing, but everything on your phone becomes public knowledge and open for inspection. Including that sexy photo your wife sent you.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I've mentioned this in the past. We still do it anyway. If ever necessary, I'll turn what I have over to my lawyer and take the department charges. I don't care about department charges. I care about going to jail for something I didn't do.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
It would just suck to lose it while it goes into evidence for however long that is. Which is actually pretty silly, they should be able to just pull the recording and safely store that elsewhere, since it's just data, and give the phone back. Another example of how laws are far behind technology.
The NYPD should just set up an email address or phone number where the officer can send the pics or video to have them entered. Then the procedure would be that you must send them immediately and problem solved.

The recordings are the evidence, not the phone or everything on the phone.

They don't put the entire police cruiser in the evidence locker, just the actual evidence. As long as the raw unedited footage is entered the officer should be able to keep his phone. Same goes for anyone else who takes pics or video. I never understood how they can take computers or phones, etc... and keep them indefinitely unless they actually charge you with something. If they are evidence against someone else, then it seems like they are taking them for public use and they should be required to compensate you fair market value at least. If that was required (and I think it is, even if they don't admit it) then they would figure out how to make copies and return the hardware much faster.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
aren't more PD's going to camera's anyway. When the LA police went to camera's, abuse went down considerably and so did complaints.

I think every cop should have a personal camera that they can not turn off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts