New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the wake of Eric Garner's death via cop chokehold, the NYPD is coming under all sorts of additional scrutiny. This is in addition to the appointed oversight ordered by Judge Scheindlin after finding that elements of its infamous stop-and-frisk program were unconstitutional. Scott Greenfieldhas a very stark recounting of the incident, as well as a recording of Eric Garner's last moments. (Here's additional footage, which includes the officer who applied the lethal chokehold waving at the camera, as well as several officers gamely pretending Garner is simply passed out.)

The unexpected happened when the official medical examiner's report failed to find that the 400-lb Garner (who is heard repeatedly telling officers he can't breathe) had simply dropped dead of a heart attack or pre-existing health conditions -- something that supposedly would have happened with or without a cop applying direct pressure to his windpipe. Instead, the report contained a word rarely found in examinations following in-custody deaths: homicide.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...gs-people-feeling-they-have-more-rights.shtml

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
He was fine right up to the point that other people stopped the flow of air into his body.

There's really not another word for it.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
If you can say "I can't breathe" you can breathe.
Not quite true, talking requires exhaling not inhaling, breathing requires inhaling and exhaling. You can talk while empting your lungs, you cannot breathe without the ability to refill them. This is how people trapped up to their neck in sand die of asphyxiation while talking to rescuers.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
That might apply if there was a constant pressure. He was talking after he was on the ground without a chokehold applied. He couldn't breathe due his medical condition. The ME called his medical condition a contributing factor. There was no damage to the windpipe that would have stopped airflow. That was also The report. The medical facts don't necesary line up with any conclusions that he couldn't of have had the same reaction from the physical exertion of resisting arrest. The "choke hold" was on for how long? You would lose conconiousness before it's self caused you to die unless there was throat damage. He was still breathing when he was left on the ground. He was still concious at that point.

if you want to argue that it brought on an asthma attack. That's a valid arguement but the physical stress of struggle could cause that too.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
I cant believe you guys are defending this azzhole. He used a chokehold for Godsake! I don't care what Dept your in that's a NO NO unless your life in is danger. If he said he was"" having trouble breathing"" or ""I cant catch my breath"" the cops would have acted differently? Absolutely not!

The defense that it wasn't the gun that killed the guy it was the bullet is nonsense. I didn't kill the guy, I only pushed him into the street, it was the Bus that killed him, therefore Im Innocent ,can I go home now? You got to be kidding me. The direct actions and inactions of the officers directly brought about the conditions of the mans death.

Yeah he was a fat fk, with health problems and the way it looks he didn't have to many years left anyway. But man the fk up already , the hard arrest brought about this mans death. Granted, There is no way for the police to know his health condition and the intent to kill wasn't there. But they violated serious rules of making a non compliant arrest. Ill say that again because I feel it bears repeating, they violated thier own rules of making a non compliant arrest

A man is dead because of it . Take some dam responsibility for these actions don't defend it.. If I do that at a bar , and the the man dies, I don't get investigated to find whether charges should be brought or not, I don't get suspended, I go right to fking jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars .

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
If somebody were to apply a chokehold to an officer , would the officer have the right to lethal self defense?

Your god dammed right he would. but this guy is supposed to remain calm and not defend himself even though he cant breath, WAIT Im sorry, Is having trouble breathing? Give me a fking break.

What these officers did is shamefull and leaves a bad mark on Law enforcement .

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
If you can say "I can't breathe" you can breathe.
we all know that people will say "I cant breathe" when they are having anywhere from mild to extreme difficulty breathing. to take the words literally is silly. And if someone is having difficulty breathing whether it be due to pepper spray, or a choke hold, it can lead to a lack of consciousness. anyone with half a brain knows this.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I cant believe you guys are defending this azzhole. He used a chokehold for Godsake! I don't care what Dept your in that's a NO NO unless your life in is danger. If he said he was"" having trouble breathing"" or ""I cant catch my breath"" the cops would have acted differently? Absolutely not!

The defense that it wasn't the gun that killed the guy it was the bullet is nonsense. I didn't kill the guy, I only pushed him into the street, it was the Bus that killed him, therefore Im Innocent ,can I go home now? You got to be kidding me. The direct actions and inactions of the officers directly brought about the conditions of the mans death.

Yeah he was a fat fk, with health problems and the way it looks he didn't have to many years left anyway. But man the fk up already , the hard arrest brought about this mans death. Granted, There is no way for the police to know his health condition and the intent to kill wasn't there. But they violated serious rules of making a non compliant arrest. Ill say that again because I feel it bears repeating, they violated thier own rules of making a non compliant arrest

A man is dead because of it . Take some dam responsibility for these actions don't defend it.. If I do that at a bar , and the the man dies, I don't get investigated to find whether charges should be brought or not, I don't get suspended, I go right to fking jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars .
well said!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
what no cpr 7 min and nothing done they should all be held accountable lose their jobs at minimum. dereliction of duty.
this is a disgrace

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
If any argument could have been made by leo while the take down was going on, they just lost it with their actions in this video all who took part should be made accountable!

·
Registered
735 Posts
When only cops and criminals have guns, this stuff will happen. Hopefully, all the cops and all the EMS people will be held accountable. Why do we need 8 cops to arrest a man for selling cigarettes?

Why do we need swat teams to serve search warrants? Why does a cop shoot a fleeing kid in the back and then finish him off while he is on his knees with his hands up? This behavior is NOT consistent with "serve and protect" It is a police state.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
The "choke hold" was on for how long? .
It doesn't matter how long. That choke hold hold was applied rapidly and IMPROPERLY (Dangerously!!!!) If you want to induce esophageal spasms which cause difficulty breathing followed by a panic response.. that's a sure fire way to do it.

The stupid in this thread is burning my eyes...

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
It doesn't matter how long. That choke hold hold was applied rapidly and IMPROPERLY (Dangerously!!!!) If you want to induce esophageal spasms which cause difficulty breathing followed by a panic response.. that's a sure fire way to do it.

The stupid in this thread is burning my eyes...
thats because its filled with pepper spray. ;)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
He was fine right up to the point that other people stopped the flow of air into his body.

There's really not another word for it.
He could have just put his hands behind his back from the start and not resisted. With that said I think their original charge of selling untaxed cigarettes was nonsense, but the sidewalk isn't the place to fight it out.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
what no cpr 7 min and nothing done they should all be held accountable lose their jobs at minimum. dereliction of duty.
this is a disgrace

Did you actually watch the video. He was still breathing when they lifted him up. He was still breathing when EMS arrived.
1)You do not do CPR to someone who is breathing.
2) EMS makes the medical decisions when they are scene.
3) we are not required to CPR especially when we do not have the PPE to prevent disease transfer. AIDS is not the only disease to worry about and without the PPE, you are not required to do it. I am not getting AIDS, HEP A, B, C or TB for that guy. And I have done CPR in the field. I have seen guys get something at work disease wise. Do you think the job covers them? the answer is only sometimes. Do you think it covers them if they pass it to a family member. It does not. And if say it doesn't happen, you are wrong.
Police officer killed by the lethal vomit of a 3 month old
Hepatitis C in the NYPD | Village Voice

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
MAN dies over the SUSPICION of selling Cigarettes, Disgraceful! What the hell happened to acting on FACTS?

The go too defense... they followed procedure, or we are investigating if they followed procedure, When and where is it written that administrative procedure trump Laws and Rights.

IT DOESNT

And when the hell are PD across the country actually going to be held accountable for their actions.

Unarmed women with child in the car shot in DC, Homeless camper lite up with flash bangs, shot, shot with bean bags then has a dog chew on his body, man choked and dies. Just following procedure.

Your honor he failed to comply, I was scarred, so I killed him. Doesn't sound like a defense that would get any civilian off with a paid vacation.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts