New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. After a year of being in the process I got a disapproval letter. They're using a stupid reason ( surprise, surprise) to deny me. Something that happened on my old job, that was merely a minor procedure that wasn't followed correctly. At worst I would've been docked some vacation days or something similar. I have 30 days to appeal. I've contacted 2 lawyers that were listed in the attorney thread. Only 1 has gotten back to me so I'm sending them the paperwork to start the process. Just looking for advice and an idea of what I'm in for. Any one gone through this situation and willing to share their experience? Any tips are gladly appreciated.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
that sucks, although Im curious what kind of work you do and what was the issue? not that you would have to list any specifics or details, but im curious if it was a legal violation, misdemeanor, felony, etc...? or just something that a previous employer stated you did wrong?

· Registered
8,557 Posts
too bad it would cost a fortune to file a lawsuit against the city for denial of your 2A rights.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, the imaginations on you guys. I was a police officer with the NYPD. It was a department regulation that wasn't complied with due to a miscommunication. It wasn't serious, I wasn't suspended nor would I have been at any point, my firearm was never taken nor would it have been at any point. So the fact that they are using this to deny me my firearms now is why I say it's stupid. And before you ask, I resigned to go to a better opportunity and therefore couldn't get the standard retired permit.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
ok that makes sense and I'm sure that quite easy to do working for NYPD. You are required to be a cop, teacher, "animal" handler, therapist, tour guide, politician and psychic all at the same time ;)

· Registered
895 Posts
Perhaps if you re-applied, and told them you wanted the firearm to help rid the city of Conservatives, you'd get approved.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
Lol, the imaginations on you guys. I was a police officer with the NYPD. It was a department regulation that wasn't complied with due to a miscommunication. It wasn't serious, I wasn't suspended nor would I have been at any point, my firearm was never taken nor would it have been at any point. So the fact that they are using this to deny me my firearms now is why I say it's stupid. And before you ask, I resigned to go to a better opportunity and therefore couldn't get the standard retired permit.
considering you were a LEO, I cant believe you got denied. Bloomberg really did a number on NYC. good luck with the lawyer!

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Lol that is routine. The NYPD processing division sent a letter to my house addressed "dutchess county sheriff's office (with my street address)" because they wanted the sheriff to run a background check on someone who was applying to be an NYPD officer. I have no idea where they got my address from since I live at least 10 minutes from even a sub station that's not even in the same town as me. This is more of a reason to deny someone for a permit than it would be for not following a regulation because of miscommunication. You wouldn't have put anyone's life or job or security at risk. The letter that was sent to me (I opened it because I thought it was the pistol permit) had the persons name, address, SSN, and a form for the sheriff to fill out to return. I saw that and immediately put it back in the envelope and brought it to the sheriff's office. If they sent it to a criminal they would have probably taken down all of that info, potentially robbed the house, stole their identity, and also ruined their chance at a career.

But NYPD has been making up stupid laws all the time. When my uncle was an NYPD officer they told him they they wanted him to hand in his pistol permit since he had a NYC permit (this is way back in the day) but it wasn't required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.