New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am a NYC resident and have run into an annoying dilemma(which always seems to be the case when you mix firearms and NYC). So I live and work in NYC and own a house upstate in Putnam County. I have a NYC pistol premise permit and decided recently that I wanted to buy a shotgun and leave it year round at my home in Putnam. I did a little bit of research and saw there was no permit/license necessary to purchase long arms outside of NYC just needed to be 18 or 21 years of age. So I went online and purchased a Rem 870 from Gander Mountain at a great price and had it shipped to their store in Middletown, NY which is the closest to my upstate property. It arrived and I was told all I needed to bring was my drivers license so I got in my car and headed up. Got to the counter, told them I was there for a pickup and the clerk just asked to see my drivers license. He took one glance and said do you have your NYC rifle/shotgun permit? I responded no, this is going to be left on my property in Putnam county year round and never enter the confines of NYC. I explained that I have my pistol permit for NYC but didn't see how this was necessary being that the shotgun was never going to enter NYC. He asked to see my pistol permit and told me he was going to see what he could do and went off to speak with his manager. As soon as he started speaking the manager started shaking his head and muttered something along the lines of "absolutely not." He came back over to me and said they were not allowed to let me leave the store with the shotgun unless my drivers license had my Putnam address on it regardless of whether the gun was never going to enter NYC. He told me that I could go and have the DMV change my address and come right back with the sticker on my drivers license and he could let me leave with the gun. I then explained to him that if I went and changed my address my NYC Premise permit would then be revoked and I wasn't having that happen. I also explained that even if I had my NYC rifle/shotgun permit as well it wouldn't do any good because the permit clearly states that the firearm must be kept at the above address which is not where I want to keep it!!! Basically he said sorry nothing he could do maybe a diff shop would sell me one but he would just give me a refund.

So now here I am trying to figure out ways to get a shotgun for my upstate house. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will they sell me one in another state for example PA or CT if I have an NYC address on my license? I find it absolutely ridiculous that you can't purchase a shotgun and leave it at your land upstate because you aren't breaking a single law doing that, but because I have an NYC address on my license I cant? Absolutely ridiculous. If anyone has any tips they would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
PA has great and Very helpful gun stores.
As long as you dont go to a chain store they might not be intimidated by NY grey (Faulty and ambiguous) laws.

Just DO NOT take it into the NYC limits ,even to drive thru.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The store is retarded. And wrong.

Even the NYPD will tell them that it is OK for a NYC resident to purchase a long gun without a NYC rifle shotgun permit...as long as it doesn't enter NYC.

The NYPD has even checked 4473 FFL forms at gun stores near NYC looking for NYC residents who purchased long guns but didn't have a NYC permit.

Then they NYPD gestapo knocked on those people's doors and asked where the gun was...as long as they said it was outside NYC, the NYPD had no problems.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
The store is retarded. And wrong.

Even the NYPD will tell them that it is OK for a NYC resident to purchase a long gun without a NYC rifle shotgun permit...as long as it doesn't enter NYC.

The NYPD has even checked 4473 FFL forms at gun stores near NYC looking for NYC residents who purchased long guns but didn't have a NYC permit.

Then they NYPD gestapo knocked on those people's doors and asked where the gun was...as long as they said it was outside NYC, the NYPD had no problems.
How did NYPD get access to those?
That is a Horrible FFL who turned that info over!

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
You can absolutely buy a long gun in PA with a NY driver's license and city address. I did a couple times. (I've since changed my driver's license to PA, for a number of reasons, but never once had a problem with the LGS near me, and they're pretty cautious.) Hope you get this worked out soon.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As long as you dont go to a chain store they might not be intimidated by NY grey (Faulty and ambiguous) laws.

Technically you can drive through at least specifically for a NON RESIDENT. Could it really be that much different for someone who is a resident and doesn't have a rifle and shotgun license, but is only passing through? would the 24 hours still apply?

NYC ADC 10-305 i .1

Non-residents in transit. Any other provision of this chapter to the contrarynotwithstanding, a non-resident of the city of New York who, without a rifle and shotgunpermit issued hereunder, enters the city of New York possessing a rifle or shotgun in thecourse of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, or a non-resident of thecity of New York who enters the city of New York possessing an assault weapon in thecourse of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, shall have a period oftwenty-four hours subsequent to such entering to be exempt from penalty under thischapter for the unlawful possession of a rifle, shotgun or assault weapon, provided thatsuch rifle, shotgun or assault weapon shall at all times be unloaded and in a locked case,or locked automobile trunk, and that said non-resident is lawfully in possession of saidrifle, shotgun or assault weapon according to the laws of his or her place of residence.

However there is this:

NYC ADC 10-305 m

Any resident of the city of New York acquiring a rifle or shotgun outside the city of New York shall within seventy-two hours after bringing such weapon into the city make application for a rifle and shotgun permit, if such person does not already possess such permit, and for a certificate of registration. Pending the issuance of such permit and/or certificate of registration such resident shall deposit such weapon with a designated officer, at the police precinct in which such person resides, who shall issue a receipt therefor and said weapon shall be retained at the precinct until the resident shall produce the proper permit and registration certificate. This exemption shall not apply to assault weapons.

So you have 72 hours to check it with a precinct and apply for a license, but it will be gone in 72 hours... Seems like you will be covered, but also like it will be a headache if stopped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can absolutely buy a long gun in PA with a NY driver's license and city address. I did a couple times. (I've since changed my driver's license to PA, for a number of reasons, but never once had a problem with the LGS near me, and they're pretty cautious.) Hope you get this worked out soon.
Thanks thats what I think I'm going to have to do. I've been reading some threads though about buying guns in states contiguous to NY and a lot of people are saying it really depends on the store owner.... some get spooked by the nyc address and want to ship it to an FFL in NY which would just put me back in my original predicament.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was so pissed when I left Gander that I stopped by an independent store near my house in Putnam and the guy there told me he couldn't sell to me either with a NYC address on my license even though I told him it was for my upstate property and would never enter NYC. It's really a whole load of BS. I understand that their logic is "oh you have a NYC address so u must plan on taking it back to Queens." Its just a bunch of nonsense they should allow for some other way to prove that you have a residence upstate(deed, utility bills). Its also BS because even though I have a NYC address I'm still a NY resident and when I'm outside of NYC the NYC regulations shouldnt apply anymore regardless of what my license says. Its the buyers responsibility to know the laws of the counties he/she is passing through with the firearm, not the gun dealers job to be a nanny.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Try gun shows in PA also. I've purchased with my NYC-addressed DL at gun shows in PA, although I have been declined by a few sellers.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
NYC would take my pistol permit away if I changed my address to up there
Actually that's not true!

Because of the Osterweil case (and before that actually), you are allowed to have 2 pistol permits...one in NYC and one in upstate NY - as long as you have property in upstate NY.

I got my NYC rifle shotgun permit and my NYC handgun permit with only my upstate address on my driver's license.

Yes they gave me all kinds of crap when applying for the handgun license in NYC, but their head director ordered them to give me my handgun license as long as I showed that I had a residence in NYC...lease, utility bills etc.

So you should change your DL to putnam. Problem solved.

I am not sure if you even have to notify the NYPD of the address change...since you are still maintaining your NYC address and keeping your nyc pistol permit...you aren't actually moving out.

Just make sure you can prove to the nypd that you have a residence in NYC.

Want the handguns on your NYC permit and your upstate permit? Find a friendly FFL upstate that will accept a shipment of the handguns from NYC, and then they can transfer them back to you and add them to your Putnam handgun license.

Get a hunting card from the NYPD, and anytime you transport the handguns from NYC to upstate, just plan on hunting coyotes or red squirrels or wild boars or porcupines or groundhogs. Once you cross over the border into upstate, your upstate carry permit takes over, and NYC can go to hell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually that's not true!

Because of the Osterweil case (and before that actually), you are allowed to have 2 pistol permits...one in NYC and one in upstate NY - as long as you have property in upstate NY.

I got my NYC rifle shotgun permit and my NYC handgun permit with only my upstate address on my driver's license.

Yes they gave me all kinds of crap when applying for the handgun license in NYC, but their head director ordered them to give me my handgun license as long as I showed that I had a residence in NYC...lease, utility bills etc.

So you should change your DL to putnam. Problem solved.

I am not sure if you even have to notify the NYPD of the address change...since you are still maintaining your NYC address and keeping your nyc pistol permit...you aren't actually moving out.

Just make sure you can prove to the nypd that you have a residence in NYC.

Want the handguns on your NYC permit and your upstate permit? Find a friendly FFL upstate that will accept a shipment of the handguns from NYC, and then they can transfer them back to you and add them to your Putnam handgun license.

Get a hunting card from the NYPD, and anytime you transport the handguns from NYC to upstate, just plan on hunting coyotes or red squirrels or wild boars or porcupines or groundhogs. Once you cross over the border into upstate, your upstate carry permit takes over, and NYC can go to hell.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that you must be a NYC resident in order to get a NYC pistol license and if you move out of the 5 boroughs you need to surrender your license.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Its also BS because even though I have a NYC address I'm still a NY resident and when I'm outside of NYC the NYC regulations shouldnt apply anymore regardless of what my license says. Its the buyers responsibility to know the laws of the counties he/she is passing through with the firearm, not the gun dealers job to be a nanny.
Try calling some shops on LI. I know of one who has this attitude. I won't post it or tell you it privately, but do some digging.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that you must be a NYC resident in order to get a NYC pistol license and if you move out of the 5 boroughs you need to surrender your license.
I am absolutely positive. All you need is proof of a residence in NYC (lease in your name, utility bills in your name etc.) Your driver's license does NOT need to be a NYC address. The idiot clerks at 1PP may try to argue otherwise, but they are wrong.

They will not revoke your license as long as you maintain the residence/lease in NYC.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am absolutely positive. All you need is proof of a residence in NYC (lease in your name, utility bills in your name etc.) Your driver's license does NOT need to be a NYC address. The idiot clerks at 1PP may try to argue otherwise, but they are wrong.

They will not revoke your license as long as you maintain the residence/lease in NYC.
DaveM4P99 is 100% correct on this. Your DL does NOT need to match your NYC Premises Residence License. Switch your DL to Putnam and get a carry license, regardless of what you do with the shotgun purchse.

Also, an NYC Rifle/Shotgun Permit does NOT say that you need to keep your long guns at your NYC residence. You can transport them wherever you want. It might not be a bad idea to get a NYC permit anyway.

And, as Phibes said, there is at least one great FFL on Long Island that sells long guns to NYC residents, no questions asked, and this is completely legal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts