New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was pretty painless, in and out of 1PP in less than 30 minutes.

Dropped off the application and was fingerprinted, got my app #. Going to call today to get the name of the officer investigating my application.

This thread will be my personal blog of experience with the NYC pistol permit process.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was this for a pistol or rifle/shotgun permit? I assume pistol if you did the app. at 1PP. Congrats and good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My mistake I didn't realize what subforum this was. Thought we were in Laws & Politics.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called the License Division today to get my application number and the name of the investigating officer, as I was instructed to do so yesterday.

I was transferred a couple times on the phone before I got someone who could give me the information. When I asked, she told me the application number only. I asked for the investigating officers name again. She said "That's it." I then told her what I had been told yesterday to ask for over the phone. Her reply again was "That's it!"

I said "Thank you" and hung up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It took me 3 1/2 month form start to finish. Good luck with yours.
Wow that's great. I wonder how many others here have had the process go that quickly for them. I knew a few CCW armed guards who said their initial premises permit took nearly a year, and the CCW almost another year.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I received a letter from the NYPD licence division. It's specifically from the officer assigned to investigate my application. It is asking me to call to schedule an appointment with the officer. It has been exactly 2 weeks since I dropped my application off.

The letter also lists further documentation I need to bring with me to the interview. Some of which is redundant, as I have already included most of it with my application. I must bring the original document(s) and a copy of it.

1) A letter from your employer on company letterhead stating that you are employed with the company, the date employment began and your occupation OR 2 current pay stubs.

8) A current utility bill (Telephone, Con Edison, Cable) (ONLY) from your home/business, showing your current address, date and name.

9) If you are employed as a City/State/Federal employee, you must provide a typed statement from yourself indicating you will never bring the weapon(s) to your place of employment.

10) Copy of NYS Driver's License/Non-Driver ID - Security Guard License - Out of State Gun License - NYC Rifle/Shotgun License - Marriage License - Divorce Documents - Name Change Documents - Any Other City/State Issued License. Also submit a typed statement indicating license number and expiration date for all licenses possessed. Include at the end of the statement "I affirm the above statement is true".

11) A typed statement listing all handguns/rifles/shotguns you possess and how and where they are safeguarded. If your firearms were disposed of, indicate to who (Name, Address, License State and Number) and provide proof (Bill of Sale, Voucher, etc.) Include at the end of the statement "I affirm the above statement is true".

12) THREE (3) NOTARIZED character reference letters, acknowledging that they are aware you are applying for a pistol license as well as attesting to your good character, written by anyone who has know you for five (5) or more years. Family members and non-citizens are excluded from providing the required letters on your behalf. If your letter is written by your employer, clergyman or any other prominent person, it must be written on their letterhead. ALL LETTERS MUST HAVE A PHONE NUMBER AND ADDRESS WHERE THE WRITER CAN BE REACHED AT, ALONG WITH THE BEST TIME TO CONTACT THEM.

18) A typed statement indicating you have read and understand Penal Law Articles 35 (use of deadly force), 265 (criminal possession of a weapon), and 400 (responsibilities of a handgun licensee). This statement is in addition to the AFFIRMATION OF FAMILIARITY WITH RULES AND LAW form.

19) Original Court Disposition for ANY ARREST OR SUMMONS you were EVER involved in or received (Must Provide Original Seal on Document).

20) A typed statement explaining in detail (who, what, where, when, why, how) the circumstances of ANY and ALL arrests you were EVER involved in. Include at the end of the statement "I affirm the above statement to be true".

25) A copy of your DMV Abstract if you have ever received a traffic summons other than parking violations. Include a statement indicating: Date, Time, Charge(s), Disposition, Court and Police Agency.

Notice how I skipped around with the numbers, those are the numbers on the check list. I have 10 out of a possible 26 boxes checked off. Looks like I have some work to do...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently rounding up reference letters, hoping to make an appointment for interview sometime next week.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got my third and final reference letter today. Called the investigating officer early this morning to setup an appointment for interview. The officer told me the next available day for an interview isn't for another 2 weeks (I assumed it would only be a couple days).

I let out a big sigh after I hung up the phone. If I knew I wouldn't be able to go in for the interview for at least 2 weeks, I would have set the interview up when I first called to acknowledge that I received the letter, LAST WEEK!

Oh well... I will just keep my eye on the prize :)

Air gun Trigger Handgun holster Gun barrel Wood Wood Rectangle Handgun holster Jewellery Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Finally got my third and final reference letter today. Called the investigating officer early this morning to setup an appointment for interview. The officer told me the next available day for an interview isn't for another 2 weeks (I assumed it would only be a couple days).

I let out a big sigh after I hung up the phone. If I knew I wouldn't be able to go in for the interview for at least 2 weeks, I would have set the interview up when I first called to acknowledge that I received the letter, LAST WEEK!

Oh well... I will just keep my eye on the prize
At least you got the officer on the phone... Took me a few days to even get ahold of my I.O. Then got scheduled for a week later... Had my interview 4/30 and still waiting on a letter. She called me about 2 weeks ago to ask if i owned any long arms (curiously the very morning i went and picked up my rifle/shotgun permit) since during the interview i mentioned i took a hunter's safety course. Ended up having to fax her a statement saying that i currently did not, but just received the requisite permit. At least i know They are working on my file...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Steve, good luck with getting your license.

I am planning on going down to 1pp today to get my application. How do I go about getting court dispositions for arrests? I have a few arrests from over 15 years ago when I was a teen that got sealed. I'm not sure how to go about getting them.

Also how do I get my DMV abstract? Just go to DMV and request one or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
yeah it should show anything that is on your license.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Steve, good luck with getting your license.

I am planning on going down to 1pp today to get my application. How do I go about getting court dispositions for arrests? I have a few arrests from over 15 years ago when I was a teen that got sealed. I'm not sure how to go about getting them.

Also how do I get my DMV abstract? Just go to DMV and request one or is it more complicated than that?
Hi Oak,

First off, the application is online at NYPD - Permits You don't have to go down to 1PP to get an application. Remember it also must be typed or printed from computer, no handwritten applications are accepted.

To get your disposition letters you must go to the correct court house and put in paper work for them. Info here: New York City Criminal: Frequently Asked Questions

MDX already covered you with the abstract. Just note, the only things on your abstract are driving related (speeding tickets, and other moving violations). Nothing about your arrest record will be on a DMV abstract.

For example, I ordered myself an abstract just because I was curious to see one (I knew I didnt have any traffic summons). Only things listed on it were my defensive driving course records.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a great interviewing officer. She was there temporarily while pregnant. She was very easy to work with. Her superior though gave me a harder time. There was some bs mess up with my SS on a rap sheet from some ex con from when I was
like 9 years old. The CO wanted me to clear it up, even though SS numbers aren't legally used as ID. The PO even whispered to me that I was BS, and she said to me listen I have already approved you, but it'll be a month before you get the letter. Bummer, but this was only 14 weeks in. By the time i got the letter, got the license, then the purchase order then had the gun regged, it was just about 5.5 months. After all that I moved to Las Vegas a year and a half later. Now I carry as I please. I buy as I please. I don't openly carry though I can, I don't believe it is wise and I have yet to see anyone else carry like that.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts