New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Another idiotic policy. End result will be NYPD performing more enemas as desperate criminals stash their pieces up their rectums.

· Registered
3,751 Posts

· Registered
9,139 Posts
The headline is a bit misleading.

If you were about to stop a person and were going to pat them down anyway wouldn't it be safer to know what was under their jacket before you put a hand on them?

There is plenty of technology available to deprive you of your 4th amendment rights, just because it exists doesn't mean it's going to happen.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Wouldn't it be safer to just randomly scan everybody so you'd know who to stop and pat down to begin with?
Get some fingerprints, retina scans, facial bone structure mapping and DNA sample while at it, so during future scans it'll trigger an 'already checked for compliance' pop up on the scanner screen and if someone already scanned comes up hot, the tests and samples can be used against them in a court of law to press charges of deliberately trying to circumvent the system.

I wonder what a flask, mp3 player, folding knife in a belt holster, 'anti~scannable security wallet', cowboy belt buckle, hip replacement and any number of other things look like through that thing.
My guess is 'just like a gun', so better stop everydamnbody just to be sure.

· Registered
399 Posts
There is plenty of technology available to deprive you of your 4th amendment rights, just because it exists doesn't mean it's going to happen.
When exactly has that logic proven correct? I mean it is not like police infringe on the 4th with illegal wire taps even though that technology exists. So I bet you believe Obama when he says that even though he signed NDAA, don't worry he, he isn't going to use it.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Point taken Ray, you're right, the consent part is different. It's more or less implied at an airport.

· Registered
399 Posts
Is your phone currently tapped? If not then my logic is fine.
Thank you for proving otherwise. Just because an event is not happening to one person at one particular time does not mean it is not occurring elsewhere. We know, for a fact, that phones are tapped illegally every day in the US. Your logic is horrible. This is why Critical Thinking needs to be taught more in our schools.

· Registered
753 Posts
This idea sucks mainly because it would result in the special few who actually have a NYC permit to be stopped at gunpoint, tackled, sometimes killed, all by the police. If I lived there and HAD a permit, crap like that would make me think seriously about NOT carrying. Which no doubt would make Bloomie very happy. Win/win for the mayor.

· Registered
40 Posts
There was a brief segment on Fox News this evening about these "T-wave" scanners. The waves supposedly penetrate any non-solid material thereby leaving a reflected image of any concealed solid object. It was mentioned that these radiated waves may have a harmful effect on human DNA. Also, they said police cars can be fitted with these devices and scan people as they patrol the streets. The effective distance is about 15 feet at this time. This opens all sorts of questions about how they could be used. I think it will also open many questions about invasion of privacy and illegal search. The expected date for them to be ready is in 2014. It will be interesting to see how this plays with various civil rights organizations.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.