New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket for no seatbelt almost 7.5 years ago. Failure to pay the ticket in time ended up with me getting my license suspend for 2 days. Soon as I found out my license was suspended, I went to the DMV and paid the fine and my license was reinstated. I also got a ticket via mail for a red light violation that was caught on camera. Paid that. When I look at my drivers abstract, it doesn't show. Do I still need to bring all this to there attention? If so, it's been so long ago, how can I get all the info I need in order to show that it was taken cared off.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Infractions like that are cleared off your abstract after 4 years.... From the DMV FAQ:

Accidents, convictions, suspensions and revocations. Accidents, convictions for moving violations, and the suspensions or the revocations of your driver license remain on your driver record for these time periods:
  • A moving violation conviction or an accident normally remains on a driver record during the year that the conviction or the accident occurred, and for the following three calendar years. (Note: The DMV uses the year when the conviction occurred, not the year when the violation occurred.)
  • The DMV removes a conviction or an accident from a driver record on January 1 of the fourth year after the year of the conviction or the accident. For example, an accident or a conviction that occurred during 2003 remains on the driver record until January 1, 2007.
  • A conviction that is alcohol-related or is for driving while impaired by drugs (for example, DWI or DWAI) remains on a driver record forexactly 10 years. If a driver is convicted of the same violation during that 10 years, the driver can receive additional penalties.
  • There are other convictions and accidents of a serious type that can remain on a driver record for more than 10 years.
  • A suspension or a revocation of a driver license that was not cleared or not terminated remains on a driver record indefinitely.
  • If the suspension is for a drug-related offense arising out of Penal Law section 220 or 221, the suspension remains on a driver record for four years from the date the suspension is terminated.
  • A suspension or a revocation that was cleared or terminated remains on a driver record for four years from the date the suspension or revocation was terminated. (Note: The DMV uses the year when the suspension or the revocation was cleared or terminated, not the year when the suspension or the revocation began.)
Note: Employers and organizations frequently ask for a driver abstract that shows all the activity for the previous 10 or more years. The DMV cannot provide a driver abstract that shows information that is different from the information that is described above.
I called 1PP to ask them this exact question. I was told if it is not on the abstract to "not worry about it" since that is what they look at. When I had my interview. The I.O. asked if i had a moving violation in the last 2 years...

I am not suggesting anything that you should or should not do. I am only passing information along. I have a NYC rifle/shotgun permit, but am still awaiting my Pistol....

Best of luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. It was so much easier when I got my CCW from Florida. I used to live out there but never got it. Moved to NYC and got the urge to get it. Went down for a weekend to visit family and went to a gun show...took a class at the gun show...went to the range..and went to Sheriffs office for prints...and mailed app. Got it in 2 weeks in mail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issues as you did. Suspended licence for a couple of days due to an insurance lapse, couple of no seatbelts. I didn't mention them at all on the application, and I got the permit in less than 6 months. They make you work for it though. Had to go to 1PP probably 6 times in all. To submit the app, then the interview, then there was a problem with a recommendation letter, then there was a problem with someone who had been arrested when I was nine years old had my SS# on his rap sheet. Stupid crap like that. Then you go to pick up the permit, get a purchase order go buy a gun return within 72 hours to register the gun. Oh, the times in which you can pickup permits and register the guns are fixed windows like 11 am to 1pm and from 2pm to 4pm. They want you to work for it. I put up with the oop jumping and got the permit, oly to move to Las Vegas 1.5 years later. Now I carry anywhere I want, don't have to be restricted to just the home, can even open carry if I choose. Getting the rifle permit in NYC was much easier, but still required 3 visits.

·
Registered
156 Posts
nycmike, I don't think any of that would disqualify you. I remember when my wife got her permit, there was a question about if you were ever a crime victim, and she answered no. However, our apartment was burglarized about 15 years prior--she just forgot. This wasn't an issue for the investigator after explaining it. I don't see how the DMV stuff would effect you unless you had a 1000 red light summons or were a scofflaw.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does 1PP only take apps in on Modays? Also, if I apply for a Handgun permit, should I wait to find out if i'm approved or not before applying for the rifle/shotgun permit? And will I have to also submit 3 character letters for the rifle/shotgun permit even though I submitted them with the Handgun permit app?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Does 1PP only take apps in on Modays? Also, if I apply for a Handgun permit, should I wait to find out if i'm approved or not before applying for the rifle/shotgun permit? And will I have to also submit 3 character letters for the rifle/shotgun permit even though I submitted them with the Handgun permit app?
Hey Mike, You can submit your pistol app Mon-Fri at 1PP. The are open from 8:30a to 8p on Mondays and 8:30a to 4p Tuesday through Friday.

As for waiting to submit for the rifle/shotgun that is really up to you. I submitted rifle/shotgun the day before i submitted my pistol (4/3/12) and got the rifle license about 15 weeks in (7/18). still waiting on the pistol.

You DO NOT need references for rifle/shotgun unless you are not a citizen.

Rifle shotgun is considered the easier/faster of the two to get. If you were worried about wasting money on a denial you could apply for the rifle/shotgun first and if you are approved take it as a good sign for the pistol, but I am in no way telling you what you should do...

You can also submit your pistol app at the rifle/shotgun office in Queens and they will send it to 1PP for you.

Best of luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Filling out handgun and rifle apps. Have some questions. Rather pm. If anyone feels like being helpful...pm me. Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
In the process of gathering up all my references and other miscellaneous paperwork/hurdles needed to get both licenses. My only problem is I am type 2 diabetic (diagnosed January). Which means I need a doctors note for the rifle and shotgun permit. But I only have to list I'm diabetic on the pistol permit, No doctors note for pistol?? I am also armed with my latest blood work showing that all my values are essentially within the normal range

Printed out my driving abstract figured Id save them some time.

My only question is:
If I drop or rifle and shotgun application off first do I have to list that on my pistol permit?

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
In the process of gathering up all my references and other miscellaneous paperwork/hurdles needed to get both licenses. My only problem is I am type 2 diabetic (diagnosed January). Which means I need a doctors note for the rifle and shotgun permit. But I only have to list I'm diabetic on the pistol permit, No doctors note for pistol?? I am also armed with my latest blood work showing that all my values are essentially within the normal range

Printed out my driving abstract figured Id save them some time.

My only question is:
If I drop or rifle and shotgun application off first do I have to list that on my pistol permit?

Thanks
Lou
Hey Lou,
I applied for Rifle/shotgun the day before Pistol. On my pistol app underneath where i listed my Driver's License, License plate #, passport, and even my dog's license # (Ha!) i put "NYC Rifle/Shotgun License: Application submitted on 04/02/12". I did not run into any problems with this when i submitted or in the interview.

However, My IO called me about an hour after i picked up my rifle license (strangely enough) and said she saw that i mentioned I took a hunting safety course and wanted to know if i owned any long guns... I told her i had just picked up the permit, but did not currently possess any. she made me fax her a statement saying as much...

Best of luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would bringing in any of the forms they ask you to bring to the interview when you first submit your app be helpful or will they not even accept it until they are requested?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Would bringing in any of the forms they ask you to bring to the interview when you first submit your app be helpful or will they not even accept it until they are requested?
Bringing them couldn't hurt and they may take them from you when you submit or they may not, but honestly i would just wait until they are asked for. As it is, when you are interviewed they ask for certain things you already handed in AGAIN (affidavit of familiarity of the rules, safeguard form ect..).

Imagine showing up for your interview and your IO says where is "x" and you say i turned it in when i submitted and they says its not there. Unless you brought duplicate originals you just jammed yourself up....

I'm not saying what you should do, but that is my advice.

Best of luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bringing them couldn't hurt and they may take them from you when you submit or they may not, but honestly i would just wait until they are asked for. As it is, when you are interviewed they ask for certain things you already handed in AGAIN (affidavit of familiarity of the rules, safeguard form ect..).

Imagine showing up for your interview and your IO says where is "x" and you say i turned it in when i submitted and they says its not there. Unless you brought duplicate originals you just jammed yourself up....

I'm not saying what you should do, but that is my advice.

Best of luck
Makes sense...thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Read on another forum that the application needs to be notarized as well as the addendum. Is this true? Or is it just the pages that say so...

·
Registered
820 Posts
^ I didn't have to notarize my pistol license application, but I did have to notarize my explanation for answering "Yes" that I had another state license--a driver's license. IIRC, I wrote something like, "I hereby attest that I am a holder of a NYS driver's license, #xxxxxxxxx. I have held this license since mm-dd-yyyy. I am a driver in good standing with the DMV." Or something to that effect.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Thanks
Lou
Hey Lou, hear about the woman struck and killed by the SUV in brooklyn last night? Was a few blocks from my apartment and saw the aftermath... News says the driver may have passed out in a diabetic coma... Do you need to do similar things (doc notes ect.) to get a driver's license? If not, the firearms licensing in the city seems even more ridiculous now...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Phibes, you applied for a PP in April 2012 and still haven't gotten it? Isn't the dept supposed to notify you one way or another within 6 months? That's crazy?! What's going on with your application?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just renewed my license too and I did not need a doctors note. I do not remember if i had to list it or not.
I was not requested to bring the letter from my doctor to my interview either. I had it with me just in case. Then i got a call yesterday from my IO saying i need a letter from my doctor due to answering yes to question 3. So i just faxed it to them yesterday and all is good. Just happy to know that the CO was reviewing the application already. My interview was two weeks ago this thursday. Rifle and shotgun application required the letter when i submitted the app.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts