New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with the Lead Investigator at the Rifle/Shotgun office today regarding my permit application. I was told it's all ready to go, but they want more information regarding my 2001 arrest (which was reduced to an infraction and a $100 fine). The investigator who was handling my application is now out on maternity leave, and Lead Investigator Ramsey is currently the only person handling applications at the moment. If anyone is planning to apply for a NYC rifle/shotgun permit anytime soon, expect a very long wait.

All I needed to do was write a detailed account of the arrest, provide proof of the fine being paid, and have the letter notarized. I'm putting it in the mail asap.

Anyone who has a record must provide as much information as possible with your application, in fact it needs to be dummy proof, or you will never get a foot off the ground with this process.

I also learned that a little patience and polite diction on the phone will put you in favor with the investigators. I'm hoping to have the permit in the next week or so.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Though, I do wonder how long this would have sat around before someone notified me of needing more information had I not called.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Though, I do wonder how long this would have sat around before someone notified me of needing more information had I not called.
When did you apply? I submitted my app on 4/2. I've debated calling them, but didn't feel like getting a bad attitude ever the phone...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol yeah, I applied 2/13/12. Don't expect to hear anything the first 90 days, but give them a call after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Phibes, just curious, do you have a clean record or do you have some minor blemish as well?

I have a clean record (although I'm not a citizen, only permanent resident) so I'm wondering how long its going to end up taking for me.. Damnit.
Wish they allowed you to apply for the permit before turning 21. I turn 21 in December and it seems like I wont have a gun until like a year from today.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Phibes, just curious, do you have a clean record or do you have some minor blemish as well?
I do have a blemish. I was issued a summons to appear in 2000 for a violation...Sentenced to a $25 dollar fine...got laughed at by the judge and everything...

I provided the certificate of disposition from the court and a notarized statement detailing the events at the time i submitted my application... I'm sure it will jam me up a bit though...

Congrats on keeping your nose so clean for 20 years and counting!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I Just got the approval letter from the Rifle and Shotgun division!

Submitted paperwork on: 04/02/12
Letter dated: 07/16/12
Received on: 07/18/12

Total time: 15 weeks and 2 days...

Had a crumby day at work. More than made up for it... At least this will keep me busy as I wait for my pistol permit...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats! I spoke to the investigator the other day and she said my packet was waiting to come back from "downtown" where the captain signs off on it. Hopefully it was in the batch that yours was. I'm at 5 months now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts