New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy to announce that everything went well. Got there at 9:10AM Monday to pickup my purchase authorization. Got out by 9:30AM. Went to Olinville and picked up my new handgun. Went back to 1 Police Plaza for gun inspection. Got there at around 1PM and was done by 1:40PM. There were 4 people ahead of me so it wasn't that bad. The P.O. doing the inspections was a cool guy. Everything went pretty smooth except for the number 4 train. Man I hate that train. I always feel strange taking the train with a handgun but I don't see any other way. Parking/driving there SUCKS! Anyone in NYC have a good source for ammo? Olinville sells 45 ACP for $25 for a box of 50. They only sell American Eagle. I can't order online because no one will ship to any of the 5 boroughs. Someone help, I'm hurting here!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear that Norm. Congrats

Did you do a transfer at Olinville or did you buy direct from them? If it was a transfer, what did they charge you?

EDIT: Also, you didn't have to bring spent casing with you for CoBIS right? I heard this was law was no more since March 30th, 2012, just making sure NYPD doesn't want spent casings.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Did you do a transfer at Olinville or did you buy direct from them? If it was a transfer, what did they charge you?

EDIT: Also, you didn't have to bring spent casing with you for CoBIS right? I heard this was law was no more since March 30th, 2012, just making sure NYPD doesn't want spent casings.
You never had to produce the shell casing. The dealer had to forward it to the State Police (I think) but the buyer never sees it. Curious what the FFL cost was, too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You never had to produce the shell casing. The dealer had to forward it to the State Police (I think) but the buyer never sees it. Curious what the FFL cost was, too.
ahhh, shows how much I know about buying new pistols... haha definitely makes more sense that way tho...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

macnorfin is correct...

I purchased directly from Olinville. Horrible price but I wanted to support the local shops. I will buy my firearms from there and pay for range time but nothing else. Their prices are insanely high.

I am planning to go to Olinville soon to shoot my new handgun. I will ask what their FFL fees are. I will let you guys know what they tell me.
Anyone has a good ammo source besides Walmart?

-N2K

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try some of the shops in Nassau and I know there are a few in Brooklyn / staten island. But their prices are nuts. I know there is one place right by Nassau coliseum got ammo there before. Decent prices and it's really a short drive from the city.

Coliseum gun traders
1180 Hempstead Tpke, #110, Uniondale, NY 11553

·
Registered
194 Posts

Termination of the CoBIS Program As of close of business Friday, March 30, 2012, Section 396-ff of the General Business Law (CoBIS) is repealed. Dealers in firearms (as defined by 9 NYCRR 472.2 (f)) should refer to the following.
COBIS: Frequently Asked Questions Q - Do new pistols and revolvers need to be made CoBIS compliant? Any new pistol or revolver sold before to close of business on Friday March 30, 2012 needs to be CoBIS compliant. Forward the P-12 and corresponding sample casing to the NYSP CoBIS Unit.
Any new pistol or revolver sold after close of business on Friday March 30, 2012 does not need to be CoBIS compliant. P-12's and all other forms and verifications are to be forwarded to the NYSP Pistol Permit Bureau.
Q - Do I still need to send in a P-12? Yes. Dealers are reminded that the termination of the CoBIS program does not eliminate the requirement to submit the P-12 forms.
Q - Where do I mail the P-12's and affiliated forms and verifications? The P-12's, forms and verifications should now be submitted directly to the New York State Pistol Permit Bureau at:

• New York State Police
    Pistol Permit Bureau
    Building #22
    1220 Washington Avenue
    Albany, NY 12226-2252
For sales made prior to COB March 30, 2012, the P-12 and CoBIS samples should continue to be sent to CoBIS, at the address listed on the bottom of the P-12 form.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of permit do you have? Can you carry on the street? Concealed of course.
Carry? Noooo...
I have a premise permit. I can own a handgun at home and transport it to the range in a locked box plus a trigger lock. Also, The ammo must not be in the same area of the car while transporting it. Oh yeah, and I can only have 200 rounds at a time (including at home). After the range, I have to go straight home. No stops. My investigating officer told me the worst thing that I could do is stop in a school zone with the firearm in the car and get searched by the police. I can only drive through a school zone if it's on the way home. These are all things told to me by my interviewing officer. I hope she was exaggerating but that's what was told to me.

Just to be clear, this was not for my permit. This was for "permission" to purchase my next firearm. I have to wait 3 month before I can request "permission" to buy my next firearm. I already had my permit.

I think if you are a retired police officer, you can get a carry concealed permit. The highly sought after red one :) Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you retire from the Police Department you get a Retired Police ID and a Carry Permit from the City of New York completely unrestricted so you can carry anywhere within the United States. The ID plus the permit accompanied by a quick HR 218 course and you are 1000000% good to go anywhere n the country and probably out of the country too.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Famous people like Robert De Niro, Howard Stern, Don Imus, Donald Trump, etc., can also get NYC carry permits. But not regular citizens.

By the way, did your investigating officer tell you about the "200 round limit" rule? I've heard conflicting stories about how they interpret that. It's an FDNY regulation, but some people have said when they called 1PP to ask about it, they were told it only applies to dealers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Famous people like Robert De Niro, Howard Stern, Don Imus, Donald Trump, etc., can also get NYC carry permits. But not regular citizens.

By the way, did your investigating officer tell you about the "200 round limit" rule? I've heard conflicting stories about how they interpret that. It's an FDNY regulation, but some people have said when they called 1PP to ask about it, they were told it only applies to dealers.
Anthony Cumia of the Opie and Anthony show has an NYC Special Unrestricted license. He is pro 2A and said it took a very long time for him to get it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
^ He must have had documented specific threats against him. "Proper cause" in NYC requires "exposure […] to extraordinary personal danger, documented by proof of recurrent threats to life or safety requiring authorization to carry a handgun," meaning "instances in which Police Department records demonstrate that the life and well-being of an individual is endangered, and that s/he should, therefore, be authorized to carry a handgun." Merely living in a dangerous neighborhood doesn't cut it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts