New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in NYC interested in obtaining my pistol permit / License, I know the road ahead is grueling from what I've read online but it's possible. I don't have any criminal history at all, so with that I have a couple of questions.

• What's the difference between a pistol permit and License?
  • I would like to apply for a Premises License (I would like to keep it at home and go to the shooting range as I please, would this type of permit suffice?
  • In regards to questions when I get further in the process, what types of questions are typically asked? (I came across this, Why do you want a gun? A: Home defense & target shooting.) Would an answer like this suffice?
  • Is it best to apply myself or go through a firm?
If you have gone through this, please tell me your experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
all i can tell you is what i went through. i had a pistol permit guy file all the paper work for me. now in retrospect, i could have done this myself and would have saved the charges from him which was not cheap, $300 each for rifle and hand gun. this application took almost 15 months before i got word from 1pp that is was in review and i and my wife had to come in for an in house interview. after the interview we waited until we were called in again to come pick up our pistol license and 1 pistol purchase permit. the pistol license is your card which has history printed of each gun purchase. you need a pistol purchase permit for every gun you buy. there is a waiting period of 90 days before you can apply for another purchase permit. after you get your gun you have to submit all the paperwork online. they then schedule you for a gun inspection at 1pp. this in itself was 3 months waiting. btw, you cannot use the gun for any reason in nyc until it has been inspected. once inspected the gun serial is printed on your gun license. when they say 90 day waiting period....it is really far longer. the 90 waiting period does not start until previous gun has been inspected. so this is gun purchase + 3 months then another 90 waiting period. then you wait until they email you to come pick up your new purchase permit. this i dont know how long as im waiting myself. home defense is a valid reason for wanting a gun. btw, there is also a rather hefty application fee. dont quote me on this as i dont remember exactly the price but i think it was like $175 ish for rifle/shot gun and like $450??? for pistol. heres the worse part...all this you done for license....has to be renewed every 3 years. people here says thats a far easier process. i havent reached that point yet. the good news is the people at 1pp in charge of the licensing are really nice people (at least to us)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all i can tell you is what i went through. i had a pistol permit guy file all the paper work for me. now in retrospect, i could have done this myself and would have saved the charges from him which was not cheap, $300 each for rifle and hand gun. this application took almost 15 months before i got word from 1pp that is was in review and i and my wife had to come in for an in house interview. after the interview we waited until we were called in again to come pick up our pistol license and 1 pistol purchase permit. the pistol license is your card which has history printed of each gun purchase. you need a pistol purchase permit for every gun you buy. there is a waiting period of 90 days before you can apply for another purchase permit. after you get your gun you have to submit all the paperwork online. they then schedule you for a gun inspection at 1pp. this in itself was 3 months waiting. btw, you cannot use the gun for any reason in nyc until it has been inspected. once inspected the gun serial is printed on your gun license. when they say 90 day waiting period....it is really far longer. the 90 waiting period does not start until previous gun has been inspected. so this is gun purchase + 3 months then another 90 waiting period. then you wait until they email you to come pick up your new purchase permit. this i dont know how long as im waiting myself. home defense is a valid reason for wanting a gun. btw, there is also a rather hefty application fee. dont quote me on this as i dont remember exactly the price but i think it was like $175 ish for rifle/shot gun and like $450??? for pistol. heres the worse part...all this you done for license....has to be renewed every 3 years. people here says thats a far easier process. i havent reached that point yet. the good news is the people at 1pp in charge of the licensing are really nice people (at least to us)
Thank you for your insight, this pretty much answered many of my questions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am also in NYC and posted quite a bit about my experience. I am 3 months past prints/interview, and waiting. You need a premise permit (although no one knows (I asked) if there were contingency plans to convert everyone to CCW after SCOTUS releases decision in favor of NYP&R. They have been told nothing. Premises is $340, rifle $140, plus $90 for fingerprints. If you apply at the same time whoever calls you first will fingerprint you, and you won't have to pay double. They also moved my RS permit forward to investigation stage in step with the premises. I think it's because the scrutiny for premises is higher, so they would automatically grant it with premise. The process could take 1-3 years depending. Parking for 2 hours for 1PP is $60, and tolls, gas and time off work. Be prepared, when I arrived I had to fill out the same application again, in case there were changes, the I did online the year prior. Plus I was missing 7 documents that are not listed online (apparently since at least 2017 as noted by another member on another of my posts who was told th same thing. More delays and minor expense. I am retiring to Tennessee as soon as I am able too...........pretty, kind, manners, Constitutional carry, and NO SNOW!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am also in NYC and posted quite a bit about my experience. I am 3 months past prints/interview, and waiting. You need a premise permit (although no one knows (I asked) if there were contingency plans to convert everyone to CCW after SCOTUS releases decision in favor of NYP&R. They have been told nothing. Premises is $340, rifle $140, plus $90 for fingerprints. If you apply at the same time whoever calls you first will fingerprint you, and you won't have to pay double. They also moved my RS permit forward to investigation stage in step with the premises. I think it's because the scrutiny for premises is higher, so they would automatically grant it with premise. The process could take 1-3 years depending. Parking for 2 hours for 1PP is $60, and tolls, gas and time off work. Be prepared, when I arrived I had to fill out the same application again, in case there were changes, the I did online the year prior. Plus I was missing 7 documents that are not listed online (apparently since at least 2017 as noted by another member on another of my posts who was told th same thing. More delays and minor expense. I am retiring to Tennessee as soon as I am able too...........pretty, kind, manners, Constitutional carry, and NO SNOW!
Basically, they just try to tire you out lol. Just ridiculous, I wish you luck Jointlock. Also thank you for the information very helpful.

That would be interesting how NYC will respond to SCOTUS If the decision is in favor to NYP&R, it should be in the next few weeks I believe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Basically, they just try to tire you out lol. Just ridiculous, I wish you luck Jointlock. Also thank you for the information very helpful.

That would be interesting how NYC will respond to SCOTUS If the decision is in favor to NYP&R, it should be in the next few weeks I believe.
Have no fear! After SCOTUS finds this messed up state gun laws unconstitutional the state will make a slight change to the law without changing anything and will have to be sued again. Nothing will change ever until people are smart enough to vote the idiots in office out of power!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took me almost 2 years to get premises permit. I did everything on line, did fingerprints within few months after submitting. Then I was issued case officer who contacted me through emails and few phone calls about all the paperwork, few of which I already submitted. After I got the license, bought the gun, waited another month and a half for inspection.
Just make sure u follow everything from online application, not that hard.
Good luck on your endeavor...

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's said than done lol. We are trying lol.
It's faster to move than it is to get a license in NYC. Also, if NYC rejects your application, now you have to check the box in every other jurisdiction where they ask "have you ever been denied a license" - screw that. And if any of them (new county or state you move to) ask for supporting deposition or information from 1PP as to why you were denied, there goes another 6 months wait on top of whatever you're already dealing with.

You can literally move 20-45 minutes (without traffic) east or north and not have to deal with this bullshit.

On top of it - if you pay NYC income tax you're part of the problem because you're paying for these politicians and you're increasing the amount of Congressional districts they have just by being a resident.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's faster to move than it is to get a license in NYC. Also, if NYC rejects your application, now you have to check the box in every other jurisdiction where they ask "have you ever been denied a license" - screw that. And if any of them (new county or state you move to) ask for supporting deposition or information from 1PP as to why you were denied, there goes another 6 months wait on top of whatever you're already dealing with.

You can literally move 20-45 minutes (without traffic) east or north and not have to deal with this bullshit.

On top of it - if you pay NYC income tax you're part of the problem because you're paying for these politicians and you're increasing the amount of Congressional districts they have just by being a resident.
you do make a valid point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have no fear! After SCOTUS finds this messed up state gun laws unconstitutional the state will make a slight change to the law without changing anything and will have to be sued again. Nothing will change ever until people are smart enough to vote the idiots in office out of power!
I agree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts