Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 390 Posts

· Registered
9,700 Posts
Is this possibly the issue?

Question 11.i. Definition of Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence:
A
Federal, State, local, or tribal offense that is a misdemeanor under Federal, State,
or tribal law and has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or
the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse,
parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a
child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with, or has cohabited with
the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to
a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim. The term includes all misdemeanors
that have as an element the use or attempted use of physical force or the
threatened use of a deadly weapon
(e.g., assault and battery)
, if the offense is
committed by one of the defined parties.
(See Exception to 11.c. and 11.i.)
A
person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence also
is not prohibited unless: (1) the person was represented by a lawyer or gave up
the right to a lawyer; or (2) if the person was entitled to a jury, was tried by a jury,
or gave up the right to a jury trial. Persons subject to this exception should
answer
"no"
to 11.i.
He said possession, weed or demonic is anyone's guess!

· Registered
9,139 Posts
I was ready to call bull**** on this but the whole certificate of relief thing threw me off. Why put that in your story if you are making it up.

It appears that the NYSP found an old charge connected to his name when they were doing the AW registration filing.
They then lied to the OP about the serial number to get him to allow them into his house, open his safe, and hand over his weapons.
The police were very clever, the OP was very naive.
They should have never set foot in the house. The whole "check the serial number" thing should have been a giant red flag.
Now the OP is out a lot of money in legal fees when he could have just refused the police request.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
They would have misspelled things to make it look like a typical post..

· Registered
1,365 Posts
This is easy to say for a cop. Seems to me many cops break the law everyday but dont seem to get found guilty. All in a days work. Search without warrants, kill kids with air soft guns, kill kids with game remotes, kill the upstairs occupant when its the downstairs that was issued a warrant.......Many things can happen to get one arrested, we are all human, including cops, except our justice system always seems to find an excuse not to prosecute the majority of cops who have clearly broken the law.

So step off your high horse!!!!

I agree. Also, don't commit crimes (even misdemeanors).

· Registered
9,139 Posts
If the OP were to scan all of these documents with his personal information removed this post would be epic.
Like, news worthy, offers of free legal services epic.

We'll see how this plays out. Credibility is still questionable.
I predict a "FU guys if you don't believe me" more than posting of proof.

· Registered
223 Posts
"Hi, this is my first post and look at this crazy story that just happened to me as a result of the unSAFE ACT and so I decided to find a gun forum to post it on".

Sorry but I call BS on this. The guy is either trolling or it's a water test. Nothing in the news, no follow up, nothing.

· Registered
9,700 Posts
"Hi, this is my first post and look at this crazy story that just happened to me as a result of the unSAFE ACT and so I decided to find a gun forum to post it on".

Sorry but I call BS on this. The guy is either trolling or it's a water test. Nothing in the news, no follow up, nothing.
There will be nothing in the news, no arrest made. Nothing to see carry on!

· Registered
9,139 Posts
"Hi, this is my first post and look at this crazy story that just happened to me as a result of the unSAFE ACT and so I decided to find a gun forum to post it on"..
Who else would you ask if you didn't know enough to call a lawyer? Perhaps a forum full of other NY gun owners. This is further reinforced by the fact that he didn't know enough to tell the officers to come back with a warrant.

It's not much different than looking for a video on youtube to fix your leaky sink.

If it was a troll he would not have included the very specific instructions on how to get his gun back

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Gee, maybe he hasn't replied because he talked to a lawyer and they said STFU and don't post anything.

Either way, it would be news worthy... i hope he posts a follow up, and i agree that if true, it will elicit much support from the community.

· Registered
708 Posts
Without questioning the credibility of the OP, this cannot lead to a good ending.

It was well publicized (at least on the NYSP SAFE web site) that during the pistol permit re-certification process additional background checks would be conducted. And, if it was found that a person was not (or no longer) eligible for a pistol permit, ALL guns in that person's possession would be taken.

This incident shows that during the "assault weapon" registration process additional background checks are being conducted as well. And it appears that the same end result is to be expected.

From the story, the troopers arrived at the location with the paperwork necessary to effect the removal of the guns, except for a warrant. They were not there to check a serial number, they were there to remove guns. Lacking a warrant, they used subterfuge to obtain entrance and access.

This should only work once. As word of this spreads those gun owners in the same situation in the future will reply with "show me the warrant". And if the troopers have to return with a warrant it won't just be 2 guys in a Chevy.

Battle lines being drawn.

· Registered
1,951 Posts
He could have been lurking for awhile with nothing to cause him to post or be involved before. Then bang, and posting here would be a reaction. Let's not drive him away as we live in glass houses.

21 - 40 of 390 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.