New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from work, started to put my sone to sleep and my run comes running up the stairs yelling the state police are here. I run down and talk to them. The said they were here to check the sn of the rifle I registered (cx4 in 9mm). I brought him to my safe, opened it and the 2nd officer went in and took out my cx4, Remington 70 sps and Remington 870 shotgun. Then he says that I had a misdemeanor possession charge 15 years ago and all the guns will be taken. He gave me a ny state police receipt and a certificate of relief paper. They said if a judge signs the paper I can get the guns back. I an in nassau county and also have land upstate that we hunt on. The firearms were all bought by me, one at Dicks sporting goods and the other 2 at a local outdoorsmen store. All have the FBI check done when I got them.

Anyone have any input on getting the relief paper signed? I'm devastated.

-Bill

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Welcome BigBill and that's one upsetting first post. Before posting another word online about this I'd contact a 2A friendly attorney and or your current attorney for direct. The Tresmonds and Shooter on this forum are just two of a long list of lawyers looking to help.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Holy crap. Welcome to the forums. Umm, don't say another word. You're gonna get a lot questions here about this. I will offer my condolences. The only advice I will give is GET A LAWYER! I think we have a couple of threads and maybe even a sticky on 2A friendly attorneys.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
hmm, REGISTRATION = CONFISCATION.

Bill, like buell said, i wouldnt post another word about it online.. Id contact Murtha and Murtha as they are on Long Island. You are, unfortunately, going to need to pay a lawyer to get your guns back.

with that said, why did you open your safe? NEVER open your own safe, and NEVER let them in your house if they dont have a warrant.

call a lawyer asap.

Murtha & Murtha, PLLC - Long Island Lawyer | Nassau County Lawyer | Suffolk County Lawyer

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Did they have a warrant?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Sorry to hear. A misdemeanor does not disqualify you......?!?!?!?

Not doubting you but all the cases similar to yours i am familiar with contained a letter from the court ordering "you" to bring in firearms x,y, and z. ??????

I will take this opportunity to suggest that EVERYONE keep their firearms "on paper" separate from all others. So if u own pistols keep em locked in a different safe.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Confiscated due to a misdemeanor. That sure does sound odd!

I'll parrot what everyone else has said: GET A LAWYER.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
First of Welcome to the forum,2nd sorry to here you lost your guns, 3rd did they have a warrant?

This is also very interesting to see that being your first post about having all your guns taken away.

Also like the other had mentioned do not mention any more about this online and you should have also not let them in to your house with out a warrant even to check a serial number on any guns with out a warrant,this is one thing they need to have to check anything on your premises..

Any good luck on getting your guns back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds weird to me. No lawyer here but no warrant, no entry. Sounds crazy and somewhat fishy. If true it will be like most of the other cases that appear here. This will run for months and months and we will all lose track of it and never know the outcome. Someone please post with some obvious thread headline if anything comes of this otherwise I will not be back....Sorry but I am losing faith in all the legal battles and trials and will wait for the outcome of the big picture....IF THAT EVER COMES

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I believe him. This is to be expected for everyone who registered. If they don't have a reason now they will find one eventually.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Good advice given above. Lawyer up - can't stress this enough. They'll treat you like a mushroom if you don't. That pretty little relief paper is the thread of hope that they'll drag you along with until your guns are "lost" or destroyed as unclaimed property.

15 year old misdemeanors aren't grounds for the deprivation of basic, constitutionally protected rights... even in this state. They sucker punched you - now it's time to take 'em to the cleaners. If you can convince the forum that you're legit we may even be able to help a little on the financial end.

Vote for Astorino this fall and get everyone you know to do the same. If we can't get (FU)AC fired, you certainly won't be the last.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Is this possibly the issue?

Question 11.i. Definition of Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence:
A
Federal, State, local, or tribal offense that is a misdemeanor under Federal, State,
or tribal law and has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or
the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse,
parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a
child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with, or has cohabited with
the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to
a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim. The term includes all misdemeanors
that have as an element the use or attempted use of physical force or the
threatened use of a deadly weapon
(e.g., assault and battery)
, if the offense is
committed by one of the defined parties.
(See Exception to 11.c. and 11.i.)
A
person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence also
is not prohibited unless: (1) the person was represented by a lawyer or gave up
the right to a lawyer; or (2) if the person was entitled to a jury, was tried by a jury,
or gave up the right to a jury trial. Persons subject to this exception should
answer
"no"
to 11.i.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I agree. Also, don't commit crimes (even misdemeanors).
You probably commit them and don't even know it. Most of the laws we have are bull****.

Not registering your "Assault rifle" is a misdemeanor.

Putting a forward grip on your 10/22 is a felony.

1 - 20 of 390 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.