New York Firearms Forum banner

NY Shooter Legal To Shoot In NEW JERSEY???

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RoydRage 
#1 ·
I went to a range in Paterson, NJ yesterday with my friend who lives nearby to breakin a new S&W 1911 he just bought,
I was supposed to also bring my gun to shoot, but decided at the last minute not to, and just concentrate on his gun functioning correctly.

I was told when I was there If I had I would have been arested!!!!

I was under the impression that as long as I had a valid NY permit, and was transporting the firearm according to NJ state law, and in direct route to the range it was legal to shoot there...

Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks,

Royd

#4 ·
#5 ·
I think the exception is for a sanctioned shooting event. One other note of interest, JHP are illegal in NJ. Each round is a felony. Thanks NJ for making NY look gun friendly!

#8 · (Edited)
N.J.S. 2C:39-6 f, which lists the exemptions for the general prohibitions on firearm possession from 39-5, says the following:

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or
(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder

39-6 g says the following:
g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f.
of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 refer to handguns, rifles & shotguns, and other weapons, respectively.

Title 23 deals with Fish & Game law.

Seems like bringing your handgun to a range to practice is OK according to the law. Whether or not it's ok with the local police is another matter altogether. . .

#9 ·
NJ does not have pistol permits, unless you are one of the chosen few to have a CCW. NJ residents only need a NJ FID if they are going to purchase/transfer a gun. NJ does not honor any preban stuff but allows 15 round magazines. You can have a pistol in NJ without a permit if it stays in your home and was aquired legally.

I shoot at Cherry Ridge range which is run by the NJ rifle and pistol association. They are probably one of the most vocal and litigious pro2a gun clubs in the nanny states. They have never said NY members cannot bring anything to the range. It is a state recoginized NRA range. You are asked on the application if you want you name on the member list supplied to NJSP, to aid with issues and legal transport.

I do not bring anything preban to the range though. No need push the envelope. The laws are vague, but nothing says you cannot bring a pistol to NJ as long as you are going to a legit range and or activity.

#10 ·
This is what I thought, but the guys at the Paterson, NJ Range told me If I would have brought my gun I would have been arrested!

Royd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.