New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rcvd this email from a friend.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Want to know how your pistol permit and gun ownership is going to be subject to the new mental health requirements put forth in Cuomo's NY "safe" Act?

Safe Act

You will be under the watchful eye of "mental health professionals" - Physicians, Psychologists, Registered Nurses, and Licensed Clinical Social Workers, and be subject to their "reasonable professional judgment". If they determine that you are "likely to engage in conduct that would result in serious harm to self or others", it is mandated that they report it to the local Director of Community Services, who then MUST provide the name to the NY Division of Criminal Justice who determines if that person has a firearm license (Note: It is NOT up to the mental health professional to ask if you have guns). At this point, if you have a permit, it MUST be suspended or revoked immediately (no due process or appeal). This info will also affect your eligibility to renew your license at the mandatory 5 year intervals now in place.

Just who may fall into this patient category? Anyone who is deemed to have attempted (ed. note - "good") or threatened (ed. note - "very subjective!!! don't you think???") harm or violent behavior.

Be careful of what you say or report to your doctor. There is no longer any such thing as "patient confidentiality", and even casual remarks could be potentially damaging to your 2nd amendment rights if taken the wrong way.

This goes into effect March 16th, 2013"

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Department of Veterans Affairs has announced that they will not comply to the mental reporting section of the NY SAFE Act. This reported on CBS news this morning

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What's worse is if a family member trips one of these alarms they'll use that as an excuse to remove those dangerous weapons from your home too.

They're in for a fight.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't go to the doctor unless absolutely necessary. Problem solved lol. Keep your mouth shut, ''yes'' or ''no'', and don't make small talk. Be there for business and get out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is such BS. I have a buddy who is a vet of Iraq and Afganistan. He came home with some issues, and has been getting help through the VA. This knee-jerk SAFE Act could potentially remove his basic right to own firearms?

Good job VA! It's nice to see that some common sense can be found at the federal level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
???

Do you honestly think that this was included in SAFE Act to protect us?

Pretty sure it`s in there as a first step in disarming the populace.

... or am I wearing my tin foil hat too tight?

... or am

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
So you guys are in favor of arming people who threaten others or themselves?
This rule is a doubleedged sword; designed to both look appealing to the uninformed and to do damage to gun rights at thesame time. There is no reason to answer such intrusive questions if it hasnothing to do with the reason you go to see the doctor. It is none of thedoctors business if you own a firearm or not.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
There is no reason to answer such intrusive questions if it hasnothing to do with the reason you go to see the doctor. It is none of thedoctors business if you own a firearm or not.
It's not your psychologists's business if you own a gun after you tell them you want to blow your ex-wifes head off?

This isn't about you going to the doctor because you have a case of the sniffles and they want to know what you keep under the bed.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
My concern is the medical malpractice concerns that doctors have and that they will report just about anything to avoid a law suit. It puts our rights in the hands of docs and their legimate malpractice concerns and likely their insurance companies' guidance as well. It's a slippery slope.....

It needs clearer guidelines as its too generic at best

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I see this getting abused but it was one if the only parts of the safe act that had a shred of common sense, it just needs to be refined a bit.
Yes, this is what most of us have been saying we wanted, but Cuomo has so poisoned our trust that we now suspect everything he does.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
It's not your psychologists's business if you won a gun after you tell them you want to blow your ex-wifes head off?
If you directly threaten anyone the law already states it has to be reported. The SAFE Act didn't change that, there is still no reason to tell any health care provider if you own guns. If you go see a counselor for anything from not being able to get a date to not liking the color blue they can/will ask you do you have any guns in the house. You do not have to answer. Counselors were not legally allowed to violate privacy unless you were a direct threat to others (named) or yourself it has been the law and the ethical course of action for a long time. It is, as I said a double edged sword.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
AFAIK A mental health professional already has to report to somebody if you're likely to commit violence to yourself or another.

Given that, is the issue here that ADDITIONALLY, it will end up in automatic revocation of license?

Regarding
Department of Veterans Affairs has announced that they will not comply to the mental reporting section of the NY SAFE Act.
Veterans' affairs won't comply with gun law | Vote Up! | Vote Up NY

I'm not surprised. HIPAA will not take a back seat to NY state laws, it's not even up for discussion and is a non-starter.

Personally, I don't think a person who's expressed a clear intent to commit violence should have access to firearms, but the way this law goes at it may be wrong. If Dep of vet affairs thinks it is in contradiction to federal law, it (NY Safe) obviously has gone about it incorrectly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
???

Do you honestly think that this was included in SAFE Act to protect us?

Pretty sure it`s in there as a first step in disarming the populace.

... or am I wearing my tin foil hat too tight?

... or am
Must be that I'm wearing mine too tight also becaus i'm getting the exact same signals. And they also match the signals I get when i hear/read about the insurance mandate, and the ammo/firearm sin tax.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may know peace.~ Thomas Paine

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Any doctor or nurse that reports their patient is violating Hippa and could be sued on a federal level as soon as they report them to the state, when they follow state law. Now thats common sense NYS law !

In reality this SafeAct law is dangerously turning NYS into a psycho fascist state, where any mental condition can be cause to loose your rights.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I am relatively confident lawsuits are forthcoming regarding the mental health provision in UNSAFE. I smell 5th Amendment self-incrimination issues here. People will now be able to incriminate themselves through doctors and other healthcare professionals. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to keep an eye out for crazies that are a blatant danger to society and blow them in, as long as it's not abused. If a Dr. for example has strong anti-2A sentiments, and a patient of his admits to having a large arsenal of guns, who's to say that Dr. won't blow the patient in on a whim because he doesn't feel that anyone except law enforcement should possess firearms?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts