New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo...I'm thinking of trying to apply for my permit. I live in erie county in tonawanda.

My major concern is...I'm 21 years old...I got in trouble when I just turned 17...I went to jail for 10 months...I receive a Youthful Offender Status...aka...my record is sealed. I can't get my records (and apparently neither can the army[no I'm not a vet]) ...I have been keepin my nose clean. Got a good job. starting a family.

My references are pretty good...I gotta narrow it down but :my town detective, a security forces officer in air force, an mp in national guard, a few people who have their permits, and a few others but those are the higher ranked ones...
Actually the detective MIGHT be the one who Would b doing my background check...you never know though...any thoughts...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
good luck, and they will be able to pull it up in your fbi record, any charges you've ever recieved will never be completely erased. i got two acd charges for marijuanna that are supposedly erased after 6 months but got turned down by a few recruiters at the armed forces recruiting center in hamburg for them, this states policy on firearms and everything else is ridiculous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they can get to my record I was just simply stating the definition of a Y.O....I shoulda made that more clear lol sorry. Besides I have to disclose it on the application amyways.

And yeah I only talked to the detectives son and he said the same thing he's gonna ask him tomorrow.
Do you guys think I'm wasting my time? Do you think if I waited a few more years my chances would increase?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It is hard to answer this question without knowing exactly what you were charged with. I am not suggesting that you post that here, just letting you know. I would suggest calling the permit office in he morning and asking them what they think. You can reach them here: Erie County Pistol Permit Office phone number: 716-858-6600

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is free. My work pays for it all. I called the number FTWNY gave me and the guy I talked to was cool. He said I wouldn't be wasting my time at all. Hopefully he doesn't make commission on applicants lol and he's being honest! Haha...even if I waste my time...id rather know I got denied and can't then not knowing at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I foll out a job application and it asks me if I have any felonies I chexk "no" because it is SEALED. I never have to disclose it except for cases like this. Even when I'm purchasing a long gun I check "no"...havenr had any problems. And I can still vote.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Go for it. Good luck.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I would suggest waiting a few years. What happened was only 4 years ago. As you already know, the conviction will be looked at. It will be taken into account this was only a few years ago. It's good you have your life turned around, but that's not a lot of time (especially in a judge's eye). If you get turned down this time, trying to get it again in 5 years or so may be more difficult. You will have to say that you have been denied the permit in the past.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
as JHM states "You will have to say that you have been denied the permit in the past." this is the kicker.,, its not like you get denied and you say ok and walk away with it. You will have state you were denied on any future permit applications.

this is stupid because who cares if you were denied in the past.... they are making the decison now and can see your record the same as they did in the past. its like employers that wont hire based on your credit history.... You cant pay your bills if you do not have a job.....LOL

It boils down to the judge. They have alot of latittude on this. if they just feel you are not mature enough or enough time has passed since, they will deny...

if your crime was serious enough to send you away for 10months in NY... Youth status or not, the cards are against you.

There are some good lawyer refs on here. I would go that route.

·
Registered
45 Posts
same

I thought felony conviction means you aren't allowed to own ANY firearm? :confused:
i thought the exact same thing!!!!!! and when you apply for the permit they will have access to EVERY SINGLE charge and ANY blemishes in your record, sealed or not!!!!!!!!!!! Still worth a shot! GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
164 Posts
not to sound like a dick but its going to be tuff to get, you will prolly get turned down at first and if you wait and reapply you will likely have restrictions, i doubt you'll get a full CCW. good luck erie county is a mother !!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you apply you will need to obtain certificates of disposition for any arrests to turn in with your application. Without them you will be denied.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you were 17 and spent 10 months in jail and are now 21 I wouldn't even bother. Regardless the crime, if the judge felt it necesary to incarcerate then any other judge wont sign your permit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Soo...I'm thinking of trying to apply for my permit. I live in erie county in tonawanda.

My major concern is...I'm 21 years old...I got in trouble when I just turned 17...I went to jail for 10 months...I receive a Youthful Offender Status...aka...my record is sealed. I can't get my records (and apparently neither can the army[no I'm not a vet]) ...I have been keepin my nose clean. Got a good job. starting a family.

My references are pretty good...I gotta narrow it down but :my town detective, a security forces officer in air force, an mp in national guard, a few people who have their permits, and a few others but those are the higher ranked ones...
Actually the detective MIGHT be the one who Would b doing my background check...you never know though...any thoughts...?
Your record isn't sealed from the Judge that approves your permit. If your crime wasn't violent and you can explain it its not totally game over. It isn't so much the character of your references, yea it helps they hold creditable jobs, but how well and how long have they know you. Worse case apply, they can deny you but in the letter they will at least tell you why and what you can work on, wait a few years and apply again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your record isn't sealed from the Judge that approves your permit. If your crime wasn't violent and you can explain it its not totally game over. It isn't so much the character of your references, yea it helps they hold creditable jobs, but how well and how long have they know you. Worse case apply, they can deny you but in the letter they will at least tell you why and what you can work on, wait a few years and apply again.
You're about a year late to the game.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts