New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are no kids nor will there be for sometime its pretty much an apartment area and I am not sure if I should just go with a gun cabinet right now and than spend good money on a safe when i get a house or do I get a affordable safe now? also I go for the safe do I get fire rated? the least money at the moment is best but if I can find one on sears or kmart I can pretty much get what ever as long as its not crazy expensive they have some sentry first alert and mainly stack ons......Please let me know what you guys think and if you have a specific model to get

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get the best safe that you can afford.

To give a more in-depth answer I would need to know what firearms you plan on putting in it and whether you plan on buying more.
Is this just for storage, or is it also where you will keep your home defense firearm(s)? This will effect what kind of locking mechanism I'd recommend.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there will be about 11 long guns going in there have 2 more on the way that will go in there and not specifically home defense weapon in it i have the gunvault on the nightstand for that and more to come with more money and time please let me know what you thoughts are

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My best advice with gun safes is that if it's not made in America don't buy it. I personally wouldn't buy a stack on and would go without a safe until i saved up enough to get a good one. Some safes give a false sense of security because they look big and beefy.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
My best advice with gun safes is that if it's not made in America don't buy it. I personally wouldn't buy a stack on and would go without a safe until i saved up enough to get a good one. Some safes give a false sense of security because they look big and beefy.

VERY informative video.

G

·
Give some thought to a JOBOX , jobsite tool storage box. Tractor supply has them for around $300 each. Reasonably secure storage at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some safes give a false sense of security because they look big and beefy.
Yeah, that. The hugest, most Fort Knox-looking safe isn't necessarily the most secure one, or even the one that can hold the most guns, come to that.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
If you think you need one for 12 guns buy one that will hold 36, lol. I bought a large safe configured for only 12 guns thinking there's no way I'd ever have that many. Then I found NYF....

Oh well, at least I can reconfigure the shelving inside ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
my 2 cents worth is one day it hit me...DUH...I have these safes...ones for guns and one for ammo. stack on right now but plan to do better soon. BUT.... they are not attached to anything. someone can pick tghem up and walk off with em..........so I lag bolted them to the wall studs but that will only slow them down......

then again dont always have those options in an apartment setting.

I know..dumb of me......

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Problem is you live in an apartment. do you live on an upper floor or a lower one? when was the building built? What type of construction is the building (wood or concrete)? A 500-1000 pound safe may not be suitable for your living conditions right now. the Stack ons are better than nothing, bolt them to the wall and they will be hard to move and will deter all but the most dedicated thief that is not on a time schedule (knows your out of town and when you are coming back) .

·
Registered
475 Posts
Bolting down not only keeps someone from picking it up and removing it; but a safe in an upright position with the opening edge towards a wall is more difficult to pry, because the wall gets in the way of their prying motion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its a fairly new house probably the 60's yes weight is a problem room is over a garage.......plan on getting a knoxx when i have a home but for now just want something to lock them up.......leaning towards stack on for now any opinions or models

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
its a fairly new house probably the 60's yes weight is a problem room is over a garage.......plan on getting a knoxx when i have a home but for now just want something to lock them up.......leaning towards stack on for now any opinions or models
I have the 8 gun model it is sturdy and it fits in the space I placed it in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts