New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to piece together an ar for my Allstar lower. In regards to the barrel I am looking for suggestions for a NY legal (no flash hider). Accuracy is more important than weight. Shorter is better than long as hunting will be a use.

Where to buy is helpful. Not looking to hold my wallet out and shake vigorously until empty as other options (optics) will do that.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im doing an er.shaw .300 blackout barrel from model1sales with a pws fsc30 muzzle brake . Also how much to engrave some stuff nothing fancy just lettering on a upper and mabey an army unit patch on the lower

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
What are you hunting? ... because suggesting something w/o knowing your purpose is not a good idea.
Think this way...

What is the purpose? 1, 2 and/or 3 if multiple purposes.
What bullet do I need and how fast? Forget about the case for now.
What case can do this?
Do you reload?
What barrels perform well in that case + Ar combination and might have ready stock.

Initially if you wan extreme accuracy I can tell you a few names:

- Lothar Walter
- Krieger
- Bartlein
- Lilja

A muzzle device is legal in NY and also for some rounds can make your shots more accurate, specially with shorter barrels. The muzzle can be flushed with the barrel and the only thing it must be permanetly pinned.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and suggestions. This is intended to be a 100-200 yd shooter, probably just mid size varmints (ground hog to coyote) but would consider deer to depending on the results on the former. I am liking my muzzleloader for regular season at the moment.

I had a chance to look at a few barrels at the gun show this weekend, and learned a little more about flash hiders vs muzzel brakes.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking 5.56 for this.

No time to learn the ins and outs of reloading at this point in time.

Still looking and processing all the suggestions.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Thanks for the input and suggestions. This is intended to be a 100-200 yd shooter, probably just mid size varmints (ground hog to coyote) but would consider deer to depending on the results on the former. I am liking my muzzleloader for regular season at the moment.

I had a chance to look at a few barrels at the gun show this weekend, and learned a little more about flash hiders vs muzzel brakes.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking 5.56 for this.

No time to learn the ins and outs of reloading at this point in time.

Still looking and processing all the suggestions.

Thanks again
Nothing wrong with the 5.56. very good for that purpose. for deer you can use .223 with barnes 70gr TSX solid copper bullets. they are brutal in terminal results in any caliber and grain. Assuming .223 caliber is legal where you use it.
For the best balance between weigh, length and accuracy I would do with a 20" national match heavy barrel and the wylde chamber will let you shoot both 5.56 and .223 and get the best accuracy possible from either cartridge.

White Oak Armament are very good barrels cut from shilen match blanks. This one with heavy flutes should be very good.
Rainier Arms™ | Browse | White Oak Armament | WOA Squad Designated Marksman Barrel

Satern you pay a bit more but are known for its extreme accuracy too...
Match Barrel Bolt AR-15 223 Remington (Wylde) DCM Heavy Barrel 1 8 Twist 20 SS Front Sight Base Flash Hider Pre-Ban

I wish they threaded all barrels for 5/8x24 and not 1/2. I think it is a mistake even in the .224 bore.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Here is another one... 5.56/223
Not in the supermatch class but very good accuracy nevertheless and will last forever.
These are melonite treated with 5R rifling and have 5.8 threads.
I have several uppers form these guys and got a really good product.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Doing my first AR build as well..spikes lower, cmmg lpk, a2 buttstock..instead of trying to put the upper together, i opted to get one that is preassembled...went with a bushmaster upper with 5.56 chambered hbar 16" barrel with a target crown...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts