New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You seriously expect me to sit through an entire nutnfancy video? It's 45minutes long and its about a really crappy alternative to a true Ar15.

Thanks for sharing this with us... well... actually you dont tell us your thoughts or say anything at all to invoke discussion. You just "drive by linked".

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'll have to watch the full video later, but I'm still considering one of these. With the odd combination of Rochester and NY laws, my choices are:

True AR (semi-auto) with fixed-length non-pistol grip FRS-15 stock, no muzzle device, no foregrip and 5-round* magazines.

Troy PAR (pump) with folding/collapsing stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, foregrip (AFG or VFG) and 10-round magazines.

* unless I got with a .22LR conversion.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Or you could go fixed magazine, and have everything else however you want it.

Unless Rochester has some sort of restriction on that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thats so uncomfortable. After every shot you have to pump, re acquire target then shoot. Nope not a fan.
The c-clamp grip (thumb over the top) that the one guy had meant that he had to change grips to pump. Most other grips, even ones that achieve the same far-reach stability, would not require a grip change to pump, which should make it less intrusive to keeping your target acquired.

Or you could go fixed magazine, and have everything else however you want it.

Unless Rochester has some sort of restriction on that.
Yup. 5-round limit, fixed or detachable, for semi-automatic centerfire rifles. Makes me wish someone made a .22 WMR AR.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
You know what would be neat?
Drill a small hole midway up the barrel and direct the gases back against a cup on the bolt, driving back the bolt and ejecting the spent casing, then a spring would drive he bolt forward picking up a new cartridge reloading it.
No pump by hand required!

Good idea, ain't it?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yup. 5-round limit, fixed or detachable, for semi-automatic centerfire rifles. Makes me wish someone made a .22 WMR AR.
So, you could still run a fixed 5 round magazine, with all the features you want on an AR. That would still be a better option than this, in my opinon. Although anything less than the original design is really bull****.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So, you could still run a fixed 5 round magazine, with all the features you want on an AR. That would still be a better option than this, in my opinon. Although anything less than the original design is really bull****.
I wouldn't want to have to rely on any gun with just a fixed five-round magazine, unless it reloads with stripper clips. Fine for a range toy, but five shots and then you're hand-loading ... not a good spot to be in.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If your plan is to rely on a neutered rifle, when your foe does not then your logic is flawed.

I have a rifle with MR2. I have at minimum plausible legality and at most total legality. Should things somehow dissolve into a "SHTF" situation or similar do you think I will be leaving that MR2 in place?

·
Registered
480 Posts
If your plan is to rely on a neutered rifle, when your foe does not then your logic is flawed.
We're all screwed then, because there's a good chance that our hypothetical foe -- be it a criminal or SS-like force -- is going to have select-fire weapons with 30+ round magazines. ;)

With the Rochester laws, having higher-capacity (than allowed) mags doesn't just get you a violation for having them, it gets you charged with having an assault weapon. That's the way it's worded: having a magazine with more than 5 rounds makes the (semi-auto, center-fire) rifle that could use it instantly into an AW, even if it has not evil features. For me, that's too much to risk. I also am not willing to use an MR2 or ARMagLock (personal choice.) If I were to go fixed-mag, it would be a true locked in mag (or, at best, the NY-10), which I would have to have made with a 5-round magazine. Un-neutering is, thus, not really an option for me with one.

Personally, I watch this:

Troy PAR: Suprising Truths About this Pump Action AR-15 [FULL REVIEW] - YouTube (44:55)

and wonder how neutered that really is. 10 shots like that vs. 5 semi shots, then a mag change, then 5 more semi ...

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

I have a rifle with MR2. I have at minimum plausible legality and at most total legality. Should things somehow dissolve into a "SHTF" situation or similar do you think I will be leaving that MR2 in place?
We're all screwed then, because there's a good chance that our hypothetical foe -- be it a criminal or SS-like force -- is going to have select-fire weapons with 30+ round magazines. ;)

With the Rochester laws, having higher-capacity (than allowed) mags doesn't just get you a violation for having them, it gets you charged with having an assault weapon. That's the way it's worded: having a magazine with more than 5 rounds makes the (semi-auto, center-fire) rifle that could use it instantly into an AW, even if it has not evil features. For me, that's too much to risk. I also am not willing to use an MR2 or ARMagLock (personal choice.) If I were to go fixed-mag, it would be a true locked in mag (or, at best, the NY-10), which I would have to have made with a 5-round magazine. Un-neutering is, thus, not really an option for me with one.

Personally, I watch this:

Troy PAR: Suprising Truths About this Pump Action AR-15 [FULL REVIEW] - YouTube (44:55)

and wonder how neutered that really is. 10 shots like that vs. 5 semi shots, then a mag change, then 5 more semi ...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Fully automatic weapons are of little use in untrained hands. Honestly, I would rather take a semiautomatic into a fight. I don't see that as a major adavantage.

I PMed you some things to consider.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i actually want a pump action 556 rifle... i was thinking about the remington 7615 myself... it wouldnt be for hd, or a primary... but it would just be a cool rifle to own, and in a shtf scenario it would be nice to have a reliable pump action for general purposes.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
You seriously expect me to sit through an entire nutnfancy video? It's 45minutes long and its about a really crappy alternative to a true Ar15.

Thanks for sharing this with us... well... actually you dont tell us your thoughts or say anything at all to invoke discussion. You just "drive by linked".
Yet you bring nothing of substance to the party either. Congratulations.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fully automatic weapons are of little use in untrained hands. Honestly, I would rather take a semiautomatic into a fight. I don't see that as a major adavantage.

I PMed you some things to consider.
Got it. Thanks. Replied.

I agree about auto vs. semi (though, don't tell the gun grabbers that), but as I mentioned in my reply, I wonder what the real advantage (not just perceived) of semi over the pump would be. Would the difference be broad-based or only in limited scenarios (as with auto vs. semi.)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yet you bring nothing of substance to the party either. Congratulations.
That post stated what I thouoght of the rifle did it not? And I have coontributed plenty of substance since that post. Sorry, Not sorry.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm waiting for a 7.62x39 version.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts