New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the only course I need according the law to teach handgun safety requirements for pistol permits?
Do I need the NRA Range Safety Officer course as well?

I don't intend on instructing people outside my family for the premit requiremnts. i just need to know what course is required so I can get them some handgun range time legally besides going to visit family in PA.

·
Registered
894 Posts
No, you won't need the RSO certification to teach the basic handgun course.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
nope, no RSO needed, although its a really good cert to have too. I started with just the NRA Pistol instructor cert, recently got RSO, and will be getting shotgun, rifle, defense in and out of the home too.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
nope, no RSO needed, although its a really good cert to have too. I started with just the NRA Pistol instructor cert, recently got RSO, and will be getting shotgun, rifle, defense in and out of the home too.
Well I have a lot of training in the employment of rifles, machineguns, grenade launchers, and handguns.Plus running all the military ranges that go along with those weapons systems, I just wanted to make sure I didn't need it for training people how to shoot handguns in the PRNY. I just need to get a certificate to legally (in NY) get range time for pistols.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i dont doubt that lad.... me too, i learned from my old man and uncles who were MP's and a drill sgt.

but, they are good certifications to have. Im getting the certs to give me more "credibility" as an instructor since I (unfortunately) never went into the military. I plan to do a lot of instructing in the future so all the different certs will be a benefit to me, personally. Most people want to see some sort of certifications when they seek out professional instruction rather than just taking someones word for it. ;) With your military background, Id imagine thats just as good as any certification.. certifications will fill the gap for me in the credibility dept.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont doubt that lad.... me too, i learned from my old man and uncles who were MP's and a drill sgt.

but, they are good certifications to have. Im getting the certs to give me more "credibility" as an instructor since I (unfortunately) never went into the military. I plan to do a lot of instructing in the future so all the different certs will be a benefit to me, personally.
Cool beans, I really don't have the desire to train people outside the family though. I can understand how getting all the certs would be important to someone who was going into the buisness though.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
exactly, i intended to start with family and while I have no immediate plans to do instructing outside of family, I will in the future. I dont have time right now with 5 kids (mostly due to the 3 little ones). but, once they are older Ill have more free time to do instructing on the weekends.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if I can't do what I need to with this course I will just not waste the money.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
A lot is going to depend on the county you are in. Even with NRA Pistol certification, you have to be on the "approved instructors" list here or they won't accept the training for a permit application. Each county has different requirements.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ditto - I have been an NRA instructor for about a dozen years, have taught over 2000 people that wanted to get a Florida CWP, and when I went to talk to the permit folks in my county, my NRA certification was not allowed for use to apply for a permit. I had to take a class from an "approved instructor," who were far and few between, to the tune of 80 bucks. Other than a basic safety class, I got really nothing else out of the class. Nothing on Article 35, or any laws, for that matter. A couple of minutes on where you shouldn't carry, but nothing really defined. No real shooting instruction and only ten shots on the range. Nice enough guy teaching but not up to what I used to teach. I'd like to do it again here with a reputable firm or by myself, but it seems unlikely right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The other thing you will encounter in NY is that most, if not all ranges will not even recognize your instructor credentials to "teach" at their facility - they have their own instructors for that. Secondly, they will also require that you post up a bond or provide them with an insurance certificate if you plan on actually "teaching" at the range in any live-fire scenario. As for approved instructors I've seen that also, but found it was pretty easy to get myself added to that list - at least here in Westchester.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My friend Keith (UVAC on the forum) took his NRA Pistol Instructor course and then created a curiculum and submitted it to chenango county. After a short period of time (I think it was a month or less) he was added to the approved instructors list for the county. I'm fairly certain his "curiculum" was a copy of powerpoint along with some accuracy requirement chart. But I'm certain you could PM him for details if you'd like.

If you are looking to just instruct and certify some friends and family for their permit, it may still suffice. Just need to talk to your county.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am so frustrated with the NY permit process (and I have mine already)...I mean the entire process is nothing but a huge intellectual exercise at the end of which you are or are not given a permit...having had no hands on experience. I mean that would be like teaching kids to drive by only giving them the classroom portion of drivers ed and then issuing them them a license (or not). Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a test to get your permit issued, I'm saying that a safety class where you cannot handle actual handguns (unloaded and safety checked of course) in the presence of an approved instructor so that you get a sense of how heavy a recoil spring is and what the DA trigger pull on a revolver feels or and how to load / unload semi autos and wheel guns seems....completely idiotic! Apologies, I know this isn't really the topic the OP was talking about...just venting....ggggrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I'm getting started on my NRA certifications with the BIT (basic instructor training) class first then Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun etc.....

·
Registered
894 Posts
What XD9 SC said above, - like 10,000 times - in Spades! -- With that said - I formerly taught NRA Basic Pistol in this state, along with another regular member of this forum for several years. Classes would often have students who had NEVER handled any type of firearm before. Never even picked one up, never fired a gun of any kind. You have to teach to the common lowest denominator in this situation. Our classes always had extensive handling of various handguns. (Our own very real, working handguns). Single and double action revolvers, single action semi-autos, double action semi-autos, DA/SA semi's, and various other types of actions you may encounter. Using A-Zoom snap caps, dummy ammo, students were taught to load magazines, put a pistol into battery, proper use of safetys, unloading by dropping the mags, AND slide operation to unload the chamber, and CHECKING THE CHAMBER AFTER. Much classwork consisted of handling firearms in a group situation, with utmost regards as to proper muzzle direction at ALL TIMES and safety precautions being followed. Dry firing of all the available handguns was also included, and many students were very surprised at the extremely light trigger pull that some 'target trigger' revolvers had, driving home the point that every gun has it's individual characteristics - take the time to learn them well before using the firearm. Actual 'shooting' range time was accomplished with air-powered co2 pellet guns -- AGAIN, Damn NY's stupid laws.
I know for a fact some classes are being conducted with the only gun-handling being the passing around the room of one handgun, person-to-person, one time, with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. If this is the type of class you have taken, you have been short-changed. If this is the type of class you teach, you are short-changing your students. Hands-on experience has always been proven to be the best teaching method. NY needs to address this shortcoming in the laws governing firearms instruction. Perhaps we need some movement to address this to our legislators on a state level. Be safe, be responsible.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ditto - I have been an NRA instructor for about a dozen years, have taught over 2000 people that wanted to get a Florida CWP, and when I went to talk to the permit folks in my county, my NRA certification was not allowed for use to apply for a permit.
Dear God, that's absurd. But this is NY and I don't know why I should be surprised.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Is this the only course I need according the law to teach handgun safety requirements for pistol permits?
Do I need the NRA Range Safety Officer course as well?

I don't intend on instructing people outside my family for the premit requiremnts. i just need to know what course is required so I can get them some handgun range time legally besides going to visit family in PA.
What is your ultimate goal?

to certify your family for a county license?

To hands on train family who are not licensed to own or handle hand guns at a range with live fire?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts