New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a few minutes of NPR yesterday and the speaker said that the reason the police are so militarized these days were because of the "billions and billions" of military grade weapons on the "streets" these days, so in response, they have to use military grade weapons and gear in order to combat it.

Penny for your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I call BS. When the pilgrims were running around with muskets, they had "military grade" weapons. The same with the colonists - they fought off the British with military grade weapons.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Billions and billions? If true, then there goes the defense that the AR is not common place...

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also take issue with his use of "on the streets." As if we're all walking around with the contents of our gun safes on our backs.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Actually colonists had Better than Military grade weapons!

The dopey Brits were using Muskets and the Americans had both Muskets and....
Kentucky and Pennsylvania Rifles!

which are far more accurate at 200yds than a musket is at 75yds!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Lol don't blame us for the ATF fast and furious. Also don't blame us for cops losing there weapons.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Lol.... billions and billions.. yet a total population of 319 million.... so thats about 6 evil black rifles for every man, woman, and child... nice, I feel safer already...

****ing morons!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Lol.... billions and billions.. yet a total population of 319 million.... so thats about 6 evil black rifles for every man, woman, and child... nice, I feel safer already...

****ing morons!
If that's the case, gonna need a bigger safe. Of course our crazy radical selves likely don't use safes - we let out littluns sleep with them loaded and use the barrells as teething rings.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The folks at NPR don't live in reality.
That reminds me, I have to pick up my body armor from the dry cleaners after I finish washing the MRAP in the driveway.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
NPR seems to have it a bit wrong...Again.

Now if they were to report that the reason for the Militarized Police was due to the lack of citizen participation in everyday life in America, I may agree.

As with EVERYTHING that occurs, most Americans have been asleep at the wheel for a very, very long time.

This is not something new with our Police.They have been ramping up for quite sometime, police departments all over the Country have been receiving non-needed equipment for decades.

There have always been some who have complained and they have tried to educate those around them, but for the most part, they go unheard!

It has only been recent that we have heard the media talking about this in a negative fashion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think, what they said, and what has almost always been the rationale for the use of military arms by police, is that many drug distribution gangs are armed with military style weapons and that without them, police are out gunned. This is coupled with the urge of several parties to make a profit on arms made for the military but not shipped/purchased and by the government getting rid of surplus weapons by funding the purchase for police departments around the country with federal money. More recently, the threat of terrorism has spurred this distribution of military style weapons to local police forces. If you fund it, they will come - means that city, states, municipalities can get "free money" from the Fed Gov to develop terrorist response programs, etc.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
and the "free money" ALWAYS has strings attached.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Caught a few minutes of NPR yesterday and the speaker said that the reason the police are so militarized these days were because of the "billions and billions" of military grade weapons on the "streets" these days, so in response, they have to use military grade weapons and gear in order to combat it.

Penny for your thoughts?
Misinformation is a divide and conquer tactic. Except we are not buying it this round.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recall the "North Hollywood Shootout" in LA as being the impetus to a more "well-armed" police force. At the time the LA police found themselves to be outgunned, having only side arms and the occasional shotgun, when they were caught off guard against the two guys that had AKs and AR-15s (both of which were converted to full auto illegally) and plenty of ammo. Following the shootout, I recall major police departments like LA and NYPD that stated this was a wake up call and they began to train and issue police officers with AR-15s. Don't know about all, but quite a few NYPD, Sherrifs and State Troopers have ARs in their trunks if they need them.

Of course it escalated from there what with 9/11(subsequent constant threat of terror attacks), repeated "mass shootings" that involved higher power/caliber arms (the dreaded "black rifle") etc, all stoking that fire. But perhaps more ironic, is shows like "Doomsday Preppers" which spotlighted fringe groups of gun owners who almost seem to wish for some type of major calamity leading to civil unrest...blah blah. People need to understand that their actions & rhetoric, despite their best intentions, can have a negative effect and that while expressing your opinion and dislike about things is important, using certain inflammatory jargon like "jack boot thugs" and taunts of "come and take it" aren't quite helping our case.

The threat of gangs and drug dealers having bigger better guns, I think has always been there, but this "new threat - the gun owner" is much more scary to them. With well over a decade of war(s), there are more military veterans who have military training of firearms and tactics "on the street" that it would be expected that police (which also contain a lot more military vets) would have some trepidation responding to the average call, otherwise. Quite frankly, I think police are scared sh*tless when they answer a call because of it all.

That's why they welcome the freebies they get from the US Military like the MRAPs. I understand this is a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone deal, as the Mil gets to unload equipment they no longer need or want (and save on maintenance costs) and police get free armored vehicles to protect them from perceived threats. Emphasis on perceived is deliberate.

I don't like it, and it's unlikely to change, but this is how things appear to me. Then again I'm just an Monday Morning Psychologist, so what do I know?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I WANT MY MINIMI!!!! Now, not later. And an up-armored Hummer with a Mark 19 in an armored rotating turret mount.

Gotta get home safe after a grocery run - just sayin'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts