New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If elected president, Rick Perry could still jog with his gun | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

When Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry goes for a jog in Texas, the governor doesn't just throw on a pair of gym shorts and tennis shoes before dashing out the door. He also packs a concealed .380 Ruger loaded with deadly hollow-point bullets, fully equipped with a laser-sight for precise killing. (What, you don't?)
He says he keeps it on him in case of an attack from wild animals. Last year, the Texas governor sent a coyote to canine heaven with a single shot while he was exercising in Austin, claiming it had threatened his dog.
But if he were elected president, could Perry hypothetically continue to pack heat on his morning run? You're damn right he could.
The Ticket asked several constitutional scholars and presidential experts if a sitting president would be allowed to carry a gun if he wanted to, even if it meant breaking local law. Since the White House is located in Washington, D.C.--a city that bans carrying firearms--the answer isn't perfectly simple. As presidential scholar Kenneth R. Mayer of the University of Wisconsin put it, the legal questions would get "big, fat, and hairy in a hurry."
The short answer is that if the president really wanted to run around Lafayette Park with a revolver strapped to his leg, the legal barriers would be easily surmountable.
In 2008, the Supreme Court struck down a decades-old D.C, law that banned gun ownership in the District of Columbia, but it is still illegal to carry a gun around the city. That second part doesn't sit well with Perry, who considers owning a gun a "fundamental right" enshrined in the Second Amendment to the Constitution.
"We Texans like our guns," Perry writes in his book, Fed Up!. "We don't like meddlesome statists who want to infringe on our right to keep and bear them."
Like it or not, the president would be breaking local law by carrying his gun in the city, but there are several ways he could get around it if he wanted to.
First, the president could easily sign an executive order that makes it legal for him to carry a weapon. Executive Orders are considered as good as law, so there would be little that could stop him, said Adam Winkler, UCLA law professor and author of the new book Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America.
"No man is above the law, not even the president. If applicable law bars him from carrying a gun, then he must obey," Winkler told The Ticket. "Of course, the president is powerful. He could probably just sign an executive order authorizing himself to carry guns wherever he likes."
If, however, the president didn't want to pursue his right to carry through an executive order, he could also take the argument to the federal courts.
The president would have to "persuade the court that carrying the gun was part of his official duties," said Eric M. Freedman, professor of constitutional law at Hofstra University. That wouldn't necessarily be easy, given that the president is already surrounded by a heavily armed team of Secret Service personnel, but then again, White House lawyers are notorious for legal arguments to justify presidential power. (Amiright John Yoo?)
The president could also request to be deputized in the District, which would allow him to carry a firearm via the same channels that members of law enforcement in the District use.
The gun-toting president could, of course, avoid all these sticky legal problems if he kept his outdoor exercise regimen out of DC. There are plenty of trails, foothills and paths a short drive away in Virginia, a state with loose gun laws, where the president could run freely with the wind blowing through his holsters.
The Secret Service, however, could make a very serious argument that the president shouldn't be carrying a weapon for his own protection. Remember, a spirited debate broke out in the days leading up to President Obama's inauguration over whether he would be forced to surrender his Blackberry for security concerns. (In the end, Obama got to keep his Blackberry, but under certain conditions.) If a Blackberry's almost off limits, you can imagine how the Secret Service might react if the president wanted to pack a Glock. When contacted for this article, a spokesman for the Secret Service declined to speak on the record.
Of course, we won't really know how this would all come out until a president actually tries to pack heat on Washington's mean streets. Then again, we might not even get that far. When asked this week on the campaign trail if he was packing, Perry told Politico's Ben Smith, "I never comment on whether I'm carrying a handgun or not. That's why it's called concealed."
And really, who would ever check?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
As much as it sounds great and might be able to fix soome gun issues he won't be able to help us NY'ers unless he could change the whole system Nationwide. He obviously a homophobe and is against abortion. Personally I would rather pay for 6 abortions once each vs 6 kids for 18 years each, just sayin. It's a dumb position to have to stand for to look for votes. Maybe that's his plan?? Get the pro gunners and pro lifers??

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Don't like the guy, he's too extreme (comes across as a moron IMO) and doesn't seem to be rowing with both oars. Personally I don't think he's mentally stable, therefore not fit for a CCW permit anywhere in the US...just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Perry's 2nd A. stance is the only thing I like about him.
Here is a little snipped From Wes Benedict on the populist Rick Perry:

I have a message for Rick Perry and the American people.

My name is Wes Benedict and I have the honor of serving as Executive Director of the Libertarian National Committee here in Washington, DC. I lived in Texas for fifteen years and voted against Rick Perry for governor both times I had a chance.

Now Rick Perry wants to run for president. I have a message for you, Rick Perry.

Rick Perry, you are a pretender, not a defender of free markets.

You supported Lance Armstrong's 3 billion dollar Texas taxpayer funded medical research center. That's like ObamaCare. That's not free market.

Rick Perry, you secured a 300 million dollar business handout slush fund for you and just the two leaders of the legislature to dole out to whomever you felt like being friendly to. That's corporate welfare, a recipe for corruption, and as bad as the TARP bailouts that caused the Tea Parties to explode all across America. In fact, you gave 20 million dollars to Countrywide Financial which later went bankrupt.

You supported a new state business tax. You set up toll road tax collection booths all over Texas highways. The Austin Tea Party and the Austin Toll Party booed at you on the steps of the state Capitol for that. I was there.

Rick Perry, you signed an executive order forcing young Texas schoolgirls to get the HPV vaccine even if it was against their will -- even if it was against their parents' will -- while your former chief of staff was a lobbyist for Merck. Rick Perry, your judgment was so bad the Texas legislature revolted against you and overturned your decision.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Rick Perry, you signed an executive order forcing young Texas schoolgirls to get the HPV vaccine even if it was against their will -- even if it was against their parents' will -- while your former chief of staff was a lobbyist for Merck. Rick Perry, your judgment was so bad the Texas legislature revolted against you and overturned your decision.
seriously?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
On the 'could a sitting president carry' aspect:

Barring executive orders, legal finagling and other shennanigans, would it be unresonable to presume that since the president is commander in chief of the military there is legitimacy in carrying because that's what the military he is in command of does?

Higher up military commanders generally don't carry around 'in garrision' or at the office, not because they can't, but because they feel secure enough having guards armed with full auto weapons in numbers around them.
This however does not preclude them from carrying if they did so desire.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
would it be unresonable to presume that since the president is commander in chief of the military there is legitimacy in carrying because that's what the military he is in command of does?
That was my thought as well. I know New York State's laws provide an exemption for military personnel engaged in their official duties. It's probable that DC's (and all other American jurisdictions for that matter) laws contain a similar exemption.

If I was President with that giant bulls-eye on my back I'd want to carry a firearm as well.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I think a Kevlar vest would be the option I would choose. A sniper is probably the biggest threat to a President, a concealed firearm wouldn't do much good in that situation. Other than perhaps deflecting a bullet if the sniper was a little off-target and shot in the 4 o'clock area where the holster and pistol were concealed.

;)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
A sniper is probably the biggest threat to a President
Successes.
JFK: sniper/rifle
McKinley: handgun
Lincoln: handgun
Garfield:handgun

Attempts.
Reagan: handgun
Jackson: handgun
T. Roosevelt: handgun (post presidency)
F. Roosevelt: handgun
Truman: handgun
Ford: handgun

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Yeah I was aware that 95% of attempts/assassinations on Presidents were handgun related, but in this day and age proximity is not nearly as feasible as it was many years ago. Those handgun assassinations were virtually all sneak attacks, right?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ford and Reagan got walked right up on in public and they are sorta this day and age aren't they?
Jackson was as a result of a duel. Not much sneaking going on there.
Garfield was walked right up on.
F. Roosevelt was in a 'spray and pray' from the crowd type incident
T. Roosevelt was walked up on.

I suppose its all how you define 'sneak attack'.
If the rules are the assassin has to proclaim thier intent, wave thier gun around then move toward the target with intent to commit, then yeah, they were all sneak attacks.
The exception being Jackson. Everyone present knew exactly what was going on at the time, up to and including making prior arrangements and appointments for such.

If there is a crowd there is a pretty fair chance someone could slip under the radar regardless of technology or security levels involved.
All they would need is an acceptance that they would be immediately caught or killed.

Otherwise yes, sniping would potentially give oppertunity for escape, but in turn would lower the probability of success due to all the enviornmental issues. Not much control over the distance if a shot were taken with good dope, but the target happened to move a bit in the interim of flight time (depending on range of course)
Longer distance, better chance for escape or evasion. Shorter distance better chance of success. :shrug:

Actually I'd hazard an explosive would be more apt to succeed in 'this day and age' be it bigass roadside something, rocket, missle with the intent of taking out a bridge, building or tunnel the target is occupying due to the knowledge that the uberlimo will likely take direct hits from conventional type stuff, but won't save anyone inside if its tumbled into a ravine or crushed by a few tons of rock. Or hit by an el train falling off its bridge onto the convoy.
Indirect assault IOW.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If Perry becomes president, we'll just became a Christian version of Iran. That's not the sort of place I'd like to live.

Ron Paul 2012.
Is he that hard core?
I mean I literally never heard of the guy except for when the shot a coyote thing came out a year or so back, (yes, the story is that old. I think its even archived in the forum someplace) then dropped off my radar until the candidacy announcement so its not like I've been following along his carreer path or anything.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Is he that hard core?
I mean I literally never heard of the guy except for when the shot a coyote thing came out a year or so back, (yes, the story is that old. I think its even archived in the forum someplace) then dropped off my radar until the candidacy announcement so its not like I've been following along his carreer path or anything.
Absolutely. Held held a prayer circle not too long ago to ask for God's help in bringing rain to Texas. Here are some of his friends who helped him organize it.

- John Hagee, a San Antonio evangelist whose endorsement was rejected by John McCain in 2008 because of Hagee's anti-Catholic statements.
- Mike Bickle, a founder of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, Mo., who has called Oprah Winfrey a "pastor of the harlot of Babylon."
- Alice Patterson, founder of Justice at the Gate, in San Antonio, who has written that there is "a demonic structure behind the Democratic Party."
- And then there's John Benefiel, head of the Oklahoma-based Heartland Apostolic Prayer Network, who once said this about the Statue of Liberty: "You know where we got it from? French Freemasons. Listen, folks, that is an idol, a demonic idol right there in the middle of New York Harbor."

A lot of those people who helped set up the even are part of groups who believe in "holy war." It's part of the "apostolic and prophetic" movement. Look it up, scary stuff. They believe in something called "Dominionism."

"Dominionism is simply that Christians of this belief system must take control over the various institutions of society and government. Some things that make this group unique is that they have some unusual concepts of what they call spiritual warfare that have not been seen before in other groups. Spiritual warfare is a common term in evangelicalism and in Christianity, but they have some unique approaches and some unique spins on this that distinguish them from other groups."

These guys are nut jobs. They don't care about liberties or the constitution.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
With you 100%, temporaryscars...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts