New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
St. Mary's School victim of fire - Denpubs.com

A lot of things up in the air right now. Teachers are getting together at 9:00am this morning. School was insured and the plan is to rebuild, not sure what the time line will be. Luckily the brand new boiler that the school ordered had not been delivered yet.

My wife just started her 9th year, she was hired right out of college, very lucky. The pay isn't close to what a public school teacher makes, but we get by....best part is neither one of us are Catholic both Protestants, but we have both been welcomed into the St. Mary's family.

I pray for a speedy rebuild and hope for a quick temporary solution. I thank God that no one was hurt.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Glad no one was hurt... let us know if there is any type of online donation setup for you or the school

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Ticonderoga Police Department Patrolman Mark Belden said he could identify three separate points of origin when he arrived on scene.
Somebody had to see who did this. I hope they swing from a light pole if/when they're caught.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, will let everyone know if there is anything like that.

UPDATE: Arson. School was broken into, fire was set in latest three different rooms. Sinks were filled with water and some type of explosive/flammable device was used. Teacher that was at the school at the time was putting finishing touches on her room, heard an explosion downstairs and saw a man running out of the school. Word is there is a known arsonist that was recently released from prison in the area (according to former police chief's son) Approximately 2 weeks ago part a marina burned, possibly linked events.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Eye for an Eye on this one....or in this case... you like fires? Burn for a Burn

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Thanks, will let everyone know if there is anything like that.

UPDATE: Arson. School was broken into, fire was set in latest three different rooms. Sinks were filled with water and some type of explosive/flammable device was used. Teacher that was at the school at the time was putting finishing touches on her room, heard an explosion downstairs and saw a man running out of the school. Word is there is a known arsonist that was recently released from prison in the area (according to former police chief's son) Approximately 2 weeks ago part a marina burned, possibly linked events.
Oh, how unusual. A scumbag criminal released only to strike again. Yeah, and we are the problem. FUAC!

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Omg, this is awful. Don't arsonists usually have at least minimal signs of burn injury?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Isn't arson one of the few crimes anyone may use deadly force over? Too bad that teacher wasn't armed- they may have prevented whichever building(s) wind up getting torched next...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: School will be out of session until Thursday at the very least. Administrators and teachers are going to look at a couple locations tomorrow after a church service. The school only has 120 students(pre-k through 8), but more than likely the school will have to be split for the immediate future. Won't know for sure if anything can be salvaged for a week, as County and State investigators are.....well investigating.

All I ask is for thoughts and prayers for all the families affected by this horrific event. I will post a link for financial donations at this time and keep everyone apprised of how things are progressing, as Buell056 asked (absolutely no pressure, again only asking for thoughts and prayers). Thanks for all the support.

St. Mary's School by Chris Pelerin - GoFundMe

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Temporary solution achieved. Pre-K through fourth will be making their temporary home at the Ticonderoga Methodist Sunday school classrooms, thanks to their generosity. 5-8 grades will be located in the basement of St. Mary's Church. Word is any funds from the insurance company won't be seen for at least 30 days. From what I saw today, I would rule the building a total loss, expect for maybe the gym.

Today was spent with a wonderful morning mass and then salvaging anything and everything from the classrooms that were least affected by the fire, smoke and water damage. School supplies are being collected at the Ticonderoga Chamber of Commerce. The plan at this time is to still "reopen" school this Thursday. A meeting is planned for staff tomorrow night at 7:00pm and a public meeting is schedule for Tuesday at 7:00pm. Pictures of most of the rooms have been taken and teachers will be making lists of what was lost for the insurance company and a list of what they will need for the new classrooms.

No word on any official progress on the criminal end...hopefully soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts