New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some guy complain about me shooting on my property after firing 1 shot from my rifle( I live in a rural area) and I believe this guy's house is about 1/4 mile away.

Now, legally, I can continue to shoot because no dwellings are within 500ft. of my range but my own.

The problem is, this guy was extremely aggressive in his posture (body language) and speech. I don't want to really bug the guy any more. I'm also a bit afraid of my family's safety if I continue to shoot.... who knows, this guy might try to do something to my family or property... especially after seeing how pissed off this guy can get by just firing one shot.

Never had a problem before since shooting here for over a decade.

NOTE:
I think I could have reached an agreement if the guy was actually polite about the situation. Like coming over, and saying... its a bit noisy, can you maybe not shoot right now? This guy, however, was on the opposite end of the spectrum..... completely belligerent. He didn't even want to discuss an agreement. I spent the whole time just telling the guy to please calm down because I had done nothing wrong.

So basically, what should I do or what would you do in this situation?

· Registered
491 Posts
You could invite all your friends over from NYFirearms, and we'll show him what noise REALLY sounds like. Then we stops over again, you can probably come to an agreement, after seeing it from "your" point of view.

Your not breaking any laws, so it's up to him to lose the attitude so a amicable agreement can be reached.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
If he threatened you or your family or property in any form or shape call the police and file a report ASAP.
If the town code allows you to shoot and you are within the safety limits do whatever you want in your property.
It is nobody's business what you do. Make sure you tell the police that you want this person away from you and your property.
Be respectful with the hours due to noise as I am pretty sure you are.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Make sure all your gear is up to NY code and shoot like a madman.

· Registered
3,406 Posts
Do you know the guy or this a first run in? 10 years of you shooting makes me think he's the new guy in the neighborhood. Based on what you've indicated, your neighbor doesn't appear too concerned with what you have to say. Unless you plan on moving, better step up now and assert yourself, guys like this need to put in their place. Kindly remind your neighbor that you're within your rights and you don't deal with hostile and aggressive individuals who conduct one-way conservations. Plenty of PRIVATE PROPERTY signs on your property line, conspicuously placed where he can see them would be a not so subtle reminder of who's land he's on. I'd be prepared to file a police report if you truly felt threatened, you need to document his behavior just in case he's a loon. Good luck, having a ****ty neighbor is an awful deal for anyone.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If he threatened you or your family or property in any form or shape call the police and file a report ASAP.
If the town code allows you to shoot and you are within the safety limits do whatever you want in your property.
It is nobody's business what you do. Make sure you tell the police that you want this person away from you and your property.
Be respectful with the hours due to noise as I am pretty sure you are.
Yea... he didn't threaten me, he was just extremely belligerent if you know what I mean...bad tempered adult. He didn't want to hear my side of the story.

And yes, I shoot at decent hours. I even waited for my other neighbors (neighbors who live closer to me) to finish their party and once they dispersed I started to shoot....albeit one bullet before "said" guy showed up.

Finally... he might be a new neigbor... never seen him before.... all my neighbors live a bit aways from me so I don't see them too often.

Guess I'll just start shooting again, and if he calls the cops (best case scenario) or comes over here again, I'll just have to tell him I am operating within the bounds of the law.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What Ralph said X 100000. If you're not breaking the law, fire away.

If you'd rather avoid conflict, you could always join a range and just shoot .22LR on your property and hope that he doesn't hear it.
I have a strong inclination to believe that the cops will show up (after he calls them) during hunting season when I start shooting some deer and turkeys on my property....

· Registered
3,406 Posts
Where do I get one!

Catfish, I've dealt with a similar situation with an arsehole neighbor years back. He barked like this guy and I tried to talk with him to no avail. After 2 polite requests to knock it off and he not relenting, I told him it was time to go and the next time he comes back, I will call the cops for trespassing. That put an end to it. Assert yourself and let him WHO'S PROPERTY he's on, it's your place not his.

· Registered
151 Posts
Keep shooting. Sounds like this guy has no clue what the local laws are. Next time he shows up, politely inform him of them and ask him to leave. Smile and remain calm. If he does not vacate your premises, calmly call the police. It's really that simple. Also, if you can, have a video camera at the ready. It helps if he suddenly makes a claim to an officer that you threatened him with violence, when in fact you didn't.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Just had some guy complain about me shooting on my property after firing 1 shot from my rifle( I live in a rural area) and I believe this guy's house is about 1/4 mile away.

Now, legally, I can continue to shoot because no dwellings are within 500ft. of my range but my own.

The problem is, this guy was extremely aggressive in his posture (body language) and speech. I don't want to really bug the guy any more. I'm also a bit afraid of my family's safety if I continue to shoot.... who knows, this guy might try to do something to my family or property... especially after seeing how pissed off this guy can get by just firing one shot.

Never had a problem before since shooting here for over a decade.

NOTE:
I think I could have reached an agreement if the guy was actually polite about the situation. Like coming over, and saying... its a bit noisy, can you maybe not shoot right now? This guy, however, was on the opposite end of the spectrum..... completely belligerent. He didn't even want to discuss an agreement. I spent the whole time just telling the guy to please calm down because I had done nothing wrong.

So basically, what should I do or what would you do in this situation?
Simple answer, call the police! If the situation arises and you feel threatened or you feel your family is in danger, throw some lead his way.

James

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I agree with the others. Double check your in compliance with all your local laws then shoot away. If he comes back try to talk to him again. If he refuses tell him to leave or you will call the police.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.