New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have exactly two products purchased from Best Buy. Both broke the same week. A thousand dollar camera and a $600 laptop with several hundred dollars of optional warranty "protection" both failed the same week. The camera is still not repaired 3 weeks later. The laptop is "repaired" but all data including Microsoft Office and other installed software was lost even after we were forced to pay an additional fee for back up. This laptop is less than a year old, had no abuse and no damage. The mother board simply failed under normal use. This is unacceptable. To be charged an additional fee to save the data is unacceptable. To have data lost after that fee is paid is unacceptable. I requested that the Saratoga Springs / Wilton, NY store manager Mizko contact me because I was unhappy with the service that I received. 48 hours later I still have not heard from him. Apparently (and as seen frequently on the Best Buy customer service forum) customer complaints are so common that they don't think they are worth responding to.

I see no reason to ever shop at Best Buy again - in fact I noticed a product prominently displayed that I want to purchase when I was in the store, but I will not buy from Best Buy unless they make some attempt to work toward customer satisfaction.
Unless they change, I'll be surprised if this company stays in business. I know I get better electronics service at Staples, and yes even from Walmart.

So I'm airing my rant and warning my fellow forum members - don't shop at Best Buy and back up your data!

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Rule 1 - never, ever shop at Best Buy. With newegg and amazon, why would you?
Rule 2 - never, ever buy a warranty. Best Buy, along with many other big box stores, are notorious for not honoring them.
Rule 3 - never, ever use Best Buy's geek squad to have work done. Use a reputable, local repair shop instead.

Now, send this story to [email protected], have it published and watch how quickly you get a call from Best Buy once the spotlight has been pointed at them.

Sorry buddy, but as I always say, if you shop at Best Buy, you deserve everything that happens to you.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Best buy sells a product. They don't manufacture them. That's like being mad at your LGS because your new Glock misfires.

Any important data on any electronic device should be backed up. Hard drives fail. It's not "if" a hard drive fails, it's "when".

I have an old PC running Linux that backs up certain directories on my laptop nightly, and that has a 2nd drive in that that also backs up nightly and mirrors the first drive. Then I take all my pictures and burn them to DVD every few months and put them in the safe at my parents house. That way if my house burns down I at least have my pictures from the last 10 years still.

Electronics fail. Store warranties are crap. Best buy sends their work to a repair center and you wait. That's how it works.

Is the Laptop HP by chance?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And here's the result of this sort of customer service:

Best Buy To Close 42 Stores, Hold Crappy Clearance Sales

By Laura Northrup on April 15, 2012 11:36 AM0 views

(frankieleon)

Customers stopping by some Best Buy stores around the United States on Saturday got a surprise: the stores had abruptly closed down for the day. When the electronics mega-chain announced a few weeks ago that they planned to close about fifty of their biggest boxes, they meant it. Forty-two Best Buy stores in twenty states (and one in Puerto Rico) will close by May 12. Or whenever they run out of stock: whichever happens first.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
There must have been something else wrong with it. A simple motherboard failure wouldn't take the hard drive with it, so you shouldn't lose any data. A swap with a new montherboard should take less than an hour with a qualified tech. I only take apart 5 or 6 laptops a year, and I could have it done in less than an hour. Why are you paying someone to back up your data for you? Why not put files onto a DVD, flash drive, or use a service like Carbonite?

I agree with temporaryscars. Extended warranties are generally not worth it. Electronics usually die within a couple months (which should be covered under manufacturer warranty) or years down the line, when it is time to replace them anyways.

I'll buy certain things at Best Buy that I need now like printer ink, paper, etc. Anything major gets bought online. I've had success buying stereo receivers, speakers, laptops, monitors, and lots more from places like Fry's, Newegg, etc. The only major thing I would think of buying at Best Buy was a TV. And that would be to have them open it up and plug it in to check for dead/stuck pixels.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Yep, and ironically there was an article in CNN Money today about Best Buy's founder and chairman resigning from the board...

Best Buy chairman resigns from board - Jun. 7, 2012

Their stock has taken quite the plunge over the past few months. Best Buy's days are numbered. Guess everyone else is catching on...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
They've been declining for years now. Online sales are killing a lot of brick and mortor retailers. I have customers come in all the time and write models of sunglasses down to buy them online.

Eventially it's going to hurt everybody. When all these stores are gone people are going to cry about not being able to try on or check out anything local. It's a double edged sword. Not that best buy doesn't deserve it but IMO its also unfair to retailers like me when I provide free fitments and repairs to all the crap these people buy online. Without them trying it on in my store in the first place, they'd never know what to purchase online or if it would fit their face. (I'm talking about eyewear BTW)

I think retailers need to give good service and try to make their pricing more competitive but I also feel customers need to be a little more loyal instead of ****ig over their local professional to save 5 bucks online.

I don't have sympathy for best buy becaus they blatantly rip people off but there are a lot of other retailers that get screwed as well.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Jeremy is spot on.

Seriously, I'm always surprised when people start their story with "so I bought something from Best Buy..." i can't believe people actually buy things from there.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
don't give up, my sister once complained so much she got enough gift cards her washer ended up being free

this was before the rise of amazon so you might just be screwed

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Yeah Best Buy gets no sympathy from me. The first couple of years they were around, their deals were pretty good and most of what they sold (with the exception of cables, which have always been a total rip-off there) were competitively priced. Over the past several years, they have been price gouging and taking advantage of unsavvy customers. The warranties IMHO are a scam. In addition, customers are hassled on returns and exchanges, and Best Buy does their damnedest to charge restocking fees on virtually every type of return. I'd much prefer to buy electronics from Target or Walmart for this reason alone.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
When I want to warranty something, I go with Square Trade.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like going in there. As a guy with an extensive electronics background, software development experience, network administration experience, etc.. I love hearing the 20 year old 'expert' tell some old couple a complete line of ****, then intercede saving said couple from this moron and embarrassing him/her at the same time, then look at what I wanted to see in person before going home to purchase it online.

i'd lose a lot of humor in my life without worst buy.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
No, Best Buy is legit:

If you have a background in computers or IT, like a lot of us here including myself do, some of the stuff they rattle off is laughable. For a $580 hard drive it better be 24k Gold AND have been installed by Stephen Colbert and I'd consider it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I like going in there. As a guy with an extensive electronics background, software development experience, network administration experience, etc.. I love hearing the 20 year old 'expert' tell some old couple a complete line of ****, then intercede saving said couple from this moron and embarrassing him/her at the same time, then look at what I wanted to see in person before going home to purchase it online.

i'd lose a lot of humor in my life without worst buy.
I have no electronics, software or network experience and I can tell they're usually clueless.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update - camera arrived in the mail after 3 weeks. It appears to be repaired!
No call from the store manager yet.
Best Buy customer service website has gotten me a bunch of rants form best buy employees about how its not Best Buy's fault and ONE promise to contact the store and have them contact me. We'll see....
Their customer service website is FILLED with comments similar to mine.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts