New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two Underfolders? I have a chance to buy either at about the same cost and was wondering is one more rare than the other? Value in each? Anything else I should know and look out for?

· Registered
5,425 Posts
From what I have heard and read, Polytechs are the better AKs, they're value is also going up quite a bit faster I'm pretty sure.

· Registered
118 Posts
The Polytech legend is like the holy grail of AK's. Can't say I know much about the Norinco under folder but I do own a Norinco MAK90 and its hands down the best AK ive ever handled. If the quality of Norinco's under folder is like the MAK90(it's probably the same rifle obviously with a different stock) the quality will be just as good as the Polytech. the difference may be in collectibility by that I mean value. If the Polytech is a legend it will milled and worth a lot. like I said don't know much about the Norinco under folder. Im interested to find out how your situation turns out as I love Chinese AK's. good luck and post how it turns out if you want to.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the so called Polytech is a B-West Made in U.S.A receiver which I know had the heat treatment cobbed on. And had issues of easily wearing down. I aint even sure this is a Polytech considering it was made here. No 386 stamp so think its a copy. The Norinco however is legit and both at same cost around $1400 I think the Norinco is the better buy. Any more info would be appreciated

· Registered
5,425 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
$1400 is not a good buy IMO offer him $600 and a kick in the nuts. It's a friggin AK.
alot of the pre 1989 ones go for quite a bit. The polytech and norinco rifles are really close, but I have been told B-west receivers can be iffy. I'd go with the norinco. It will probably work the same, but i wouldn't spend $ 1400 on an ak built on a less desirable receiver. Just my suggestion.

Enjoy whatever you end up getting.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
Stamped vs milled receivers: I don't think a milled receiver is any great advantage. Anyway, the stamped Norincos are pretty robust at 1.6 mm thick, compared to, say, a 1 mm Saiga. Stamped guns are also lighter, which I like, and the recoil seems the same to me. If you're really patient you can find some great buys on Mak 90s on Gunbroker. I've picked up two close-to-new in the last year or so for $560 and $600, shipped and transferred, with some original mags. Another $200 will buy you a perfect fitting Mak 90/T56 stock set from Ironwood Designs:

IWDNEWMAK 2

Add $30 bucks for a Tapco G2 trigger and you're done. You've got a cool looking, sweet shooting AK for $800-850. Sure you could spend another $400-600 for a Norinco 56s and get a bayonet and brake (you can add the brake if you really want it), but life is short and there's too many other toys to buy. :)

· Registered
58 Posts
Poly Technologies, INC. (POLYTECH) established in July 1984 functions as a procurement arm of the PLA, General Staff Department, Equipment Division of Polytechnologies. This billion-dollar firm brokers Chinese-made weapons worldwide and has been notoriously accused of selling weapons of mass destruction to "rogue" nations, including Iraq, Iran and Burma. In recent years, the firm (also known as China Poly) has diversified. Some analysts believe that 80 percent of its sales are now to non-military markets. In China, it has taken advantage of its real estate holdings and developed Shanghai's new stock exchange and a $70 million Beijing office complex. The company has offices around the world, and reportedly owns a substantial stake in Best Fulfill, a British Virgin Islands company that contracts with Nike and Adidas. In 1996, after the FBI accused Polytechnologies of smuggling AK-47s into Oakland California, the firm abruptly closed its main Atlanta office and the firm's top U.S. representatives disappeared.Cosco Shipping Link
It was later reported that officials at PolyTech Group, along with some high ranking generals in the Army and Politburo were arrested, tried, and punished for corruption, embezzlement, and illegal import/export activities. It is here where we believe the export activities were taken over completely by Norinco, who is the state owned industrial group

The PolyTech Underfolder. Note This is an early version, due to the smooth narrow grip

· Registered
58 Posts
Here's a link to some good info on Chinese Ak's

http://www.Chicom47.net

I have had a few different Ak's, just purchases a Legend underfolder, one of the holy grails of Ak's, the price's are going up for sure, this one was $2600.00 not many out there, I seen a guy sold one last year on here for around $1800, damn I wish I was around for that sale. Regular wood stock Legends have sold for $2500 plus on Gunbroker. Norinco is pretty much the same thing. I personaly think by my own examination is that the Yugo Ak's are the best built, and the barrels are superior to most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.