New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at getting something in either 338 lapua or 50bmg and i keep coming back to this. Noreen Ultra Long Range Rifle from Only Long Range Have any of you guys seen or had the chance to get behind one of these. I do have a fair amount of time behind a 50 and have spent the last few weeks working up loads and a range card for my buddies macmillan 50bmg. Any thoughts or insight into the Noreen would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If you're shooting at long ranges, wouldn't you want to follow up with a second shot quickly? That's a single shot so it won't.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The Noreen is heavy, a little ugly, but a HELLUVA shooter.

I just ordered the 338 after shooting a friend's Noreen, it's priced right for what I'm willing to spend on a ULR.

I'm no long range guru, but Dollar for Dollar, I'd say it's excellent value compared to the competition.

Will post range report when it arrives.

Plant Grass Air gun Groundcover Gas

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have been looking at getting something in either 338 lapua or 50bmg and i keep coming back to this. Noreen Ultra Long Range Rifle from Only Long Range Have any of you guys seen or had the chance to get behind one of these. I do have a fair amount of time behind a 50 and have spent the last few weeks working up loads and a range card for my buddies macmillan 50bmg. Any thoughts or insight into the Noreen would be helpful.
I am not familiar with the noreen but the 338LM is a great round hard to beat for a more "sensible" shooting. You might want to consider the 338 Norma Magnum if you want to dedicate to the longest 300 grainers but that is not that popular yet. I am waiting for a new barrel to put on an XLR chassis but still months away.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin and Jeff that was a factor that i have been thinking about. I have been weighing my options and the Bad news 338 that demerson mentioned is one option with them the i was weighing. Thanks guys for keeping me looking at the big picture.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GM, heavy is good. what was the recoil like? I know what a 50bmg is like as i shoot my buddies often. And as i understand they are nice shooting rigs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Noreen ULR 50 BMG with a XLR chassis from XLR Industries, a Vortex 6x24x50 scope with Larue Tactical rings.
This is a serious single shot weapon, see picture. It will reformat every cell in your body when you pull the trigger.

Furniture Wood Couch Comfort Flooring

·
Registered
446 Posts
Several years back we looked at the Chey Tac 408 as well as the Barrett 50 for a hard hitting uber long range gun. The Chey Tac outperformed the Barrett but eventually the pick was made by a bean counter instead of tactical guy. Ammo was a problem in that it was proprietary to Chey TAc but it was a helluva platform. Not sure how the price compares but it may be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If you're shooting at long ranges, wouldn't you want to follow up with a second shot quickly? That's a single shot so it won't.
I beg to differ. I shoot a 50bmg Noreen, you can shoot the balls off a flea with it, the follow up shots are quicker than most. The bolt slides out with ease and the round gets placed on the boltface which holds the round, back in the tube and pull the trigger. The best bang for your buck. I outshoot my friend who has the bolt action barrett almost everytime we take them out.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Wow. A thread resurrected from the dead.

I loved the lapua and "hated the lapua". It is an amazing caliber no doubt but you see, these heavy calibers are nice but they are a commitment to heavy rifles, heavy pounding and expensive shooting.

If one's objective is to hit some paper or ring some steel and do not really need an anti-material round like the military then the 308 and 7mm calibers offer some amazing options for extreme long range. When we talk about extreme we are talking about rounds that can remain supersonic for 1 mile and more before break speed. Several 308 calibers will be capable of long range hunting as well as extreme long range and even shooting flatter and further than the lapua magnum and even larger crazier options w/o the huge investment in both heavy rifles, brass and bullets some of those high caliber require and very expensive to shoot.

The most popular behind the LM is the winchester magnum just because of its global popularity. There are several match reamers that will allow to seat the 230gr bullets to maximum efficiency fed from the AI magaiznes or single fed from an upper. the only issue with this one is that it cannot shoot the most efficient berger that has a G1 coefficient of .730! but it will allow the OTM one tha is not too far behind. So it shoots a little less than the LM but not that much.

But if one takes a 300 norma magnum case (338 necked down to 308) then one can use the best bullets in the 308 department and shoot flatter and further than the lapua and many other higher caliber guns but with more affordable rifles and loads. It is obviously an overbored option but not as huge barrel burner as originally though and extremely accurate. Another one that is gaining a lot of momentum is the 30/375 ruger. that is based on the awesome and economical hornady 375 ruger case and on top it uses standard magnum bolt faces and actions.

Then there is the question of the bullet efficiency because with bullets like berger, gs, and even new noster accubond LR with G1 of .730 is hard to find any arguments against the 308 caliber for extreme long range. This solid pill requires a 1:8 twist but it is one of the most efficient 308 bullets ever devised with an average G1 coefficient .80 !!... so knowing that many super magnums can put this one well above 3000 fps then then ... do the math.

Bullet Number
Bore Diameter mm / inch
Groove Diameter mm / inch
Suitable for Calibers
308197SP204
.308" Calibers
Length mm/inch
Nose Length mm/inch
Weight g / gr
Speed
Max m/sec
Max fps
m/sec
fps
m/sec
fps
BC
COL: To determine the minimum and maximum cartridge overall length with this bullet, add the minimum or maximum values to your cartridge case length.
Min mm/inch
Max mm/inch
This bullet is recommended for:
Single Shot Feed
STABILITY FACTOR AND TWIST RATE
A Stability Factor greater than 1.2 is required. Any combination of twist rate and bullet length that does not give at least that, is not suitable. SP bullets are non-expanding spitser type bullets and are not recommended for hunting, unless you have a specific application. For use under 500m, a Stability Factor of 1.5 or even greater can be used. For distances beyond 500m the stability factor can be decreased, but must never be less than 1.2. Some experimentation will be required to determine the best combination for your particular atmospheric conditions.
Choose a bullet length best suited to your rifle twist and type of shooting.
Note that S/F increases as twist tightens. A 1:10" twist is tighter than a 1:12" twist.

Sometimes Less is more in the end..

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have one of their first runs. I had them make it left hand friendly.
I cut the barrel down and re chambered in 50 spotter. I was looking for the cheapest way to have a 50 spotter rifle.
The bipod sucks and a new trigger with a safety will be needed.
With a spanner wrench and head space gauges, you can swap barrels to other calibers that have the same case head dimensions.
Living in NY, getting a rifle chambered in a caliber that you can shoot at a range would be better.

Bumper Automotive exterior Aluminium foil Foil Plastic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts