New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my question. I was issued a NY CCW years ago when I was a resident of NY. I am now not a resident but still have the permit that is stamped "Good until revoked" Hmmm. Is this still legal? I know I probably should talk to a NY lawyer about this but anyone's experience here can help and maybe one of you can direct me to a source, either person or website, that will answer the question. If it matters, my mom still lives in the house of the address on my permit but I live out of state. I would like to have the ability to protect myself in NY when visiting my mom just as I do elsewhere legally.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The permits are valid for a resident of NY. Once you establish residency outside of NY (more than 51% of your time) then you are no longer a resident of NY. Your permit is not valid anymore.

That being said, I know people that moved out of NY, then moved back. Changed their NY address and then all was well.

I'd call a legal guy, heck, Sheldon Boyce (Gun Attorney) will be able to tell you.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
did you obtain a drivers license in the new state? if you did then you surrendered your NY license and your primary residency and its quickly verifiable. You also have to notify the pistol clerk of your address change(some within 10 days) in a time frame which would then "revoke" your permit.

If there are any legal documents that point to another state residency then I would not carry or have pistol in NY whatsoever unless you are LEO and are federally protected throughout US. If you use your weapon in self defense and your life starts to get picked apart you are screwed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I suspected really and thanks, Dave. In the past I was hoping it might work at least once....and a very important one time use, if actually needed, but.....ignorance of the law is no excuse. I DO avoid states that I cannot have reciprocity with. My big problem with NY now is the occasional trip home to see family and friends.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
write your congressman/senator for national reciprocity! Then NY can go screw itself and Bloomberg can blow a gasket LOL

·
Registered
169 Posts
According to Article 400.00 subd.9:
"...Notification of any change of residence shall be made in writing by any licensee within ten days after such change occurs, and a record of such change shall be inscribed by such licensee on the reverse side of his license. Elsewhere than in the city of New York, and in the counties of Nassau and Suffolk, such notification shall be made to the executive department, division of state police, Albany, and in the city of New York to the police commissioner of that city, and in the county of Nassau to the police commissioner of that county, and in the county of Suffolk to the licensing officer of that county, who shall, within ten days after such notification shall be received by him, give notice in writing of such change to the executive department, division of state police, at Albany."

The county clerk does not have to be notified of a change in address (other than in Suffolk).
- In the city of New York, you notify the city police commissioner
- In Nassau county, you notify the county police commissioner
- In Suffolk county, you notify the licensing officer
- In all other counties, you notify the executive department, division of state police, Albany

No where in the law does it say your already issued license will be invalid by moving out of state. It may be revoked after you notify them, but then again it may not be. There are a small number of out-of-state permit holders (whether it's because they are NY business owners or their change of address notification was overlooked by a sympathetic state employee who chose not to revoke), no one really knows the exact details, but they do exist.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ulster County:
ADDRESS CHANGEShould you change the address listed on your license you must come to the Pistol License Bureau no later than ten days after the change becomes effective. If you move to a different county within NY State, you must make arrangements to have your pistol license records transferred by contacting the Ulster County Clerk's Office.

Monroe County:

Address ChangeA change of address requires the permit holder to notify the Monroe County Clerk's Office within 10 days of the change, in accordance with New York State Law. You must appear at the County Clerk's Office and bring your pistol permit with you. There is no fee to make this change.

Ontario:
If a pistol permit holder should move out of New York State the permit must be surrendered to the county in which the permit was issued from or last transferred to. You must be a New York State resident in order to hold a New York State pistol permit.

Ostego:

ADDRESS CHANGEShould you change the address listed on your permit you must come to the Pistol Permit Bureau no later than ten days after the change becomes effective. If you move to a different County within NY State, you may make arrangements to have your Pistol Permit records transferred by contacting the Otsego County Sheriff's Office.

Genesee county:
Address Change
A change of address requires the permit holder to notify the Pistol Permit clerk within 10 days of the change. You may send a written notification to both our office and the Pistol Permit Bureau in Albany or come to our office in person with your permit to effect the change. There is a $3.00 fee to make this change. Address changes cannot be taken over the phone.

Google "NYS pistol license change of address" and the theme is basically the same for each and every county I looked over. 10 days and contact the pistol clerk....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You may be right about not notifying them and that is a good question for the lawyer. what can happen to you if you do not notify and are no longer a resident...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
308 do you have a business in NY?. that seems a way to keep it as well. in the restricted counties like Rockland we have a business carry permit which technically does not exist as far as NYS is concerned, but some counties have gotten creative and as we all know made up their own rules.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yates county:
MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION:
  • Character references must be by persons who have lived in Yates County for at least one (1) year and have known the applicant for at least one (1) year.
  • Fingerprints are taken by issuing agency when application is submitted.
  • Four (4) photos are required and must be submitted with application.
  • Application process can take three to four months.
  • County Clerk's Office will notify applicant when application has been accepted.
  • Address changes must be made within thirty (30) days of moving.
  • There is no expiration date on New York State pistol licenses.
  • License must be surrendered when moving out of state.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Did you move, or go out of state for work? ;)

How often are you in ny? If your mom still lives there and you have the ability to keep that your primary address id try that before I gave up a permit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, good thread.

For most counties, you write your new address on the back of the permit and notify the division of state police, Albany. If they don't revoke, then you still have a permit. The county clerk requirements seem to be administrative--much like restrictions placed on licenses. They may revoke for not following these administrative rules, but state law has not been violated.

Note: this message is not advocating the breaking of any rules established by your county's pistol permit department.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I had to work a string of shifts so have been off the forum. Have to pay for ammo, you know.

What a can of worms! Yes, I love living in a more gun friendly state now. I spent as much time trying to figure out what legal semi-auto rife to bring with me if I don't have a handgun. Can't have too many of those "evil" features, you know! Preaching to the choir but the same bullet at the same velocity comes out the end, passing that bayonet lug and "cone shaped or not" flash suppressor that, as far as I know, don't add any killing power as the bullet passes by!

I have been serious for years now about accepting the responsibility of defending myself should the need arise. I would not dump 100% of that responsibility onto a police officer to risk his life alone protecting me, should he even get there in time. I will feel naked without my Glock on!

I appreciate all the information you all have given to try to help me. I think talking to the lawyer makes good sense and is probably vital to my ability to possibly still carry concealed in NY and not break any laws. Hoping for "National Reciprocity!" 308mgmd out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
No where in the law does it say your already issued license will be invalid by moving out of state. It may be revoked after you notify them, but then again it may not be. There are a small number of out-of-state permit holders (whether it's because they are NY business owners or their change of address notification was overlooked by a sympathetic state employee who chose not to revoke), no one really knows the exact details, but they do exist.
This is correct. I agree.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
There you have it. Yes in most cases it will be revoked not because its the law but because the licensing officer is using their discretionary power granted by case law. As far as moving you MUST notify your county of issuance within 10 days of moving. Failure to do so is technically a Misdemeanor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts