New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any county that provides non-resident pistol permits? Could care less if it's restricted or not. Currently living in Maryland but frequent Western/Central NY because of family. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Does anyone know of any county that provides non-resident pistol permits? Could care less if it's restricted or not. Currently living in Maryland but frequent Western/Central NY because of family. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Not gonna happen chief..

Atleast until the ruling comes down from SCOTUS in a couple months..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't hold your breath for some decision that wipes out most restrictions. It will probably be limited to the issue of reasons and might get rid of them. Every thing else would stay the same. So a mild shall issue but counties could still play with tight reference rules, etc.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I know of only three ways to obtain a permit as a non-resident:

1) Be filthy rich and able to amply grease a lot of palms

2) Obtain a permit as a resident, then move out of state

3) Find a county that will work with looser definitions of "residency." Some examples of this would include owning property in the state or owning a business in the state. Some might go so far as to accept working in the state.

#3 would be a significant challenge. I know Broome and Tioga (NY) counties will issue to residents of Susquehanna and Bradford (PA) counties, if they meet the looser residency requirements. In theory, this should apply equally to all non-residents, but in reality, it probably would not work.

This state sucks. Or, more accurately, this state's government sucks.

Reactions: mjonis

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you currently have a Maryland permit??? Owning property or a business will help in some jurisdictions provided you can provide documentation. There is no such thing as a non-resident permit in NYS...with a few exceptions you are applying thru the county sheriff's office. I would suggest doing a little homework on the subject...but, you will need a physical address to make it work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't hold your breath for some decision that wipes out most restrictions. It will probably be limited to the issue of reasons and might get rid of them. Every thing else would stay the same. So a mild shall issue but counties could still play with tight reference rules, etc.
Agree 100%, and cost to obtain a permit will likely increase and permits will have expiration dates. Probably like car registrations that expire every every two years, or professional licenses that expire every three. Also IMO expect increased taxes on fire arms and ammunition along with recertification requirements like continuing education, minimal qualification scores etc. I for one do not trust the SCOTUS to get this right.

·
Registered
584 Posts
if you work in a county full time you can apply for a permit. Doesn't mean you'll get it, but Cattaraugus has issues permits to people I personally know who live n NY but not Catt county. I haven't read the form or instructions in over a year, but I thought it said live in the county OR work full time there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look up Osterweil v. Bartlett. (I was present for oral arguments in the 2nd Circuit. Sandra Day O'Connor was one of the Judges. The case was filed in the 2nd Circuit and they ruled to send it back to the NY Court of Appleals so that they could correct a previous decision on a case out of Westchester that said you could only apply in a county where you had your primary residence.) As always it depends on the Judge you get in the county you apply in and your specific situation. You might want to ask the Judge in the County you will apply in but you might reference the Osterweil decision because they might not know about it. If you own a business that is already allowed under NY PL 400 but if you own property or have some other reason like you spend the summer at your children's house you might allowed to get a license under the Osterweil decision. Osterweil v. Bartlett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts