New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Having recently obtained my permit in Erie county I am I. Search of a range to practice at. I have noticed that there are some Clubs/ Ranges that clearly state only non-jacketed ammunition, no exceptions. Not entirely sure why this restriction but it is one I can live with. Just need to know if anyone e has any suggestions as to where to get such ammo in .45acp. While I would like to get I to loading my own, I am not yet a le to so that isn't really an option at this point. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Find out if the range considers plated bullets jacketed. A lot of ranges don't because the plate is so thin compared to jacketed. If they do feel plated is the same, you most likely will have to reload your own ammo. I can't remember the last time I saw lead bullet .45ACP on a shelf. Lots of ranges now require plated or jacketed bullets because it reduces lead in the air compared to non plated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings all. Having recently obtained my permit in Erie county I am I. Search of a range to practice at. I have noticed that there are some Clubs/ Ranges that clearly state only non-jacketed ammunition, no exceptions. Not entirely sure why this restriction but it is one I can live with. Just need to know if anyone e has any suggestions as to where to get such ammo in .45acp. While I would like to get I to loading my own, I am not yet a le to so that isn't really an option at this point. Thanks in advance for any advice.
The Tonawanda Sportsman club allows jacketed and non jacketed ammunition in it's indoor range, but no armor piercing or magnum rounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Les,
At least one of the clubs I was looking into responded with a "yes" that plated rounds count as jacketed per their rules but they DO allow synthetic jacketed rounds. No other responses to that question.

fig107,
Thanks for he tip about Tonawanda Sportsman Club, I will have to inquire with them as to membership dues etc.

I do need to find a good place to practice as haven't done much of that in years and while the basics are all similar, I wouldn't really say that the M-16 or my issued .38 count to much toward my current proficiency, nor does the M-60 Door guns on a Huey! LOL. Gotta do some with this weapon to get familiar with it. I wouldn't even mind a range/Club that had someone who might be willing to coach or mentor me a bit. I want to do this right and safely.

Thanks for the help and keep the tips coming if you or anyone else has any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts