New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question about a friends Mini-14. He was asking me if it is normal for the charging handle to rattle around. I told him I hadn't handled a Mini-14 enough to tell if it was normal. The handle seems to be loose on the bolt and rattles when fired and while carrying it. I can't see anything obvious as far as something missing or broken. Hopefully someone with a Mini-14 can tell me if this is normal or something he needs to have looked at.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Is this an older one as in preban? A newer model I can't tell you much about but I had a mini 14 years ago and the bolt/charging handle felt alittle on the loose side and would sometimes rattle when moved around and you could hear the action when firing. I figured the reason for having it loose was so that dirt, grime, mud, half a VW beetle could get lodged in the action and still be able to function. Now ... if this is a newer model ... I'm not so sure but I can't imagine Ruger redesigning something that worked so well years ago. The gun is based on the M14 and somethings on it remind me of the M1 and it's a damn good rifle. Maybe your friend has one that's worn abit, but really without seeing it in person it's hard to say. That kind of rotating bolt type action, there is gonna be some play and noise. Hopefully it's normal play you're talking about and not anything serious. Those are usually very well built rifles.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a pre-ban Mini; I'll check the action when I get home tonite and post up

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He says he bought the rifle brand new in 2007 and it has maybe 50 rounds through it. He is just wondering if they are all like this or if he needs to have it looked at.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
He says he bought the rifle brand new in 2007 and it has maybe 50 rounds through it. He is just wondering if they are all like this or if he needs to have it looked at.
He's shot it 50 times and he's the original owner for 5 years and just now notices it makes noise? Something isn't right here. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said its made noise the whole time he just isn't sure if its supposed to be this way or if there is something wrong with it. He's not an everyday shooter just a guy who owns a few guns. I'm not sure why there has to be something fishy about the story, I am simply trying to figure out if the noise his gun makes is normal for the Mini-14 or if something is wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
He said its made noise the whole time he just isn't sure if its supposed to be this way or if there is something wrong with it. He's not an everyday shooter just a guy who owns a few guns. I'm not sure why there has to be something fishy about the story, I am simply trying to figure out if the noise his gun makes is normal for the Mini-14 or if something is wrong with the gun.
No no no .. I'm not trying to come across like you're full of crap. I was merely being sarcastic. (attempting to be funny but it usually fails) I'm sure what he is talking about is the just the nature of the beast. Like I said, there are a few more moving parts in that action than say a Marlin 60 .22. I'm not trying to offend anyone so please don't take it like that. ;) Is there anyway you and/or him could post a vid of the action and the problems he's concerned with?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not offended and I apologize for taking what you were saying wrong. I will see if I can get a video to pick up the rattle it makes while you tilt it side to side. I personally haven't handled the rifle yet I'm only going off what he's told me. So ill swing by his place and try to get a vid for comparison.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yes......Both the Mini 14 and Mini 30 actions rattle.....No worries.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just checked, and both my 182 series Mini-14 and Socom M1A have play in the action. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts