New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone through the course to get their no restrictions permit in Schenectady? I printed out the forms for the course and read the test requirements. Freaking $200 bucks.:( I was just curious as to know if someone was successful with the process.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, no one on this board has gone through this hoop in Schenectady?

I agree it's a lot of money when you don't know the instructors credentials. I'd much rather go to MDTS or Sig Academy.

I haven't done it yet because of the cost with no garuntee of getting the restrictions removed. Seems like a scam. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that training and education on the subject matter of self defense in New York State is important if you choose to carry. I would rather spend my money and go get some real training. But what Schenectady is doing is just making us throw money away because there is no real return on investment, ie restricions removed.

That being said, i'll probably do it at some future date once I can scrape up the throw away money.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe that Northeast Firearms Training does proficiencies for the unrestricted carry in Schenectady County. I know one of the instructors, and his resume is very impressive, while his experience is even more impressive. I plan on taking some additional training with him, as I feel it is money well spent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe that Northeast Firearms Training does proficiencies for the unrestricted carry in Schenectady County. I know one of the instructors, and his resume is very impressive, while his experience is even more impressive. I plan on taking some additional training with him, as I feel it is money well spent.
Thanks for the info. Seems like the county updated their requirements since last Janurary. When I'm ready i'll give them a call.

Can anyone provide what would be or is ment as a "detailed discription of proper cause" that the judge requires? What would be proper cause? Just that I want to protect myself from bad guys? Do I need to give some name of some future bad guy? I don't get it.

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess the judge wants to hear you grovel in front of him/her trying to find the right words that would impress them somehow. And your not doing it because your afraid of them or because you feel you should have to. Your freaking doing it because you just spent probably 4 Benjamin's! by the time all is said and done. It just goes to show if you want your rights afforded by the constitution you have to pay for them and then kiss someones a** to get them! And then if they feel mildly enlightened that day, maybe you'll hear from them in 4 months. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED!:flag:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My wife got her restrictions removed by pointing out that she works a late shift and goes home by walking to her car in a dark parking lot. The fact that several car breakins had occured there helped too, I imagine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts