New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just though I would share that I emailed the DEC about the no camp fire rule in the eastern high peaks. I asked if there were an exceptions or permits to this rule. I was told that you can not have one for any reason. I was told that if its a life or death situation you have to decide if its worth the ticket and $250 fine. They said the ranger has discretion but that they could still ticket and fine you.

I just thought that was interesting and would share it for anyone who may wonder in the future.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I can see why they answer that way. Otherwise you'd have idiots using the "we were freezing" excuse even if it wasn't true.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Why would you ask if it's ok to build a fire if it was to save your life? Seems like a stupid question

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted some clarification. I allso asked what constituted a emergency. I asked because I didnt see it in the rule if that was ok and I was curious..

Or they woudl jump in a river or stream and said they had to warm up and dry off lol. I guess I just dont see why you cant have a campfire in the east high peaks but you can in the west high peaks.

It says stoves that burn any fuel other then wood are ok though in the regulation. So there are ways to have fires, you just cant burn wood.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
We use a coleman xtreme stove. Beats any liquid fueled stove and is lighter. Also use the xtreme lantern, small and light.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I agree. You don't want those city Bear Grills wanna be's starting fires all over when "The Fox Inn" is 5 miles down the road.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea but we were thinking of worse ways then a camp fire to have a fire and be legal. For example its legal to bring a coffee can, some rags, and kerosene lol you have yourself a hobo stove..

The eastern high peaks is more remotish I think compared to the western high peaks. Oh well no camp fires what can you do.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as long as the wood stove does not ignite lol. I like camp fires for extra light at night and for comradreship.

Atleast now I know that if I go up there in the winter and get hurt and cant get out I cant have a fire to stay warm because my life does not trump the law in the eyes of the DEC lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts