Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it's time for night sights on the 30S,

ive pretty much much narrowed myself to the

ameriglo pro I dots

&

XS big dot sights.

I've used ameriglos before and liked them a bit, my 19 had trijicon hd's but on my primary carry I think I want to try the XS set.

anyone have them?

how do you like them as far as POA and POI?

would you buy them again?

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Not a fan on the XS at all. Every shooting class that I've attended where someone had a set decided they'd be swapping them for a 3 dot set and selling the XS as soon as they got home. Any advantage they give are at 0-7yds, maybe out to 10yds and at that range during a defensive situation you shouldn't be using your sights, it should be instinctive point shoulder shooting. Anything from 10/15yds and out your accuracy will suffer since the large dot gets in the way and covers the whole target. Horizontal accuracy also suffers since you're putting the scoop on top of the ice cream cone and can't use the 3 dot system or the uprights of the rear sight to judge windage.

These sights are not favorites of quite a few national instructors such as Rob Pincus.

I'm not really a fan of the I-dot or straight-8 sights either but if you're used to them then I think its a better option than the XS.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have tried XS sites, nice up to 15 yards but like Spyder said over that they obstruct view. I have Glock night sites on some of my Glocks, I have Trij on other another and Ameriglo on a couple including my G27, I like the Ameriglows the best for carry, and I know this is off topic but Warren Tacticals on my comp guns.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What I have found is when I use a hand held or weapon mounted light in dark conditions ( which is an absolute must to id your target prior to shooting) my night sights got washed out by the light and appeared as plain sights anyway. I use plain black 10-8 performance sights on my glock and 1911 and can shoot very effectively with them even in low light

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Not a fan on the XS at all. Every shooting class that I've attended where someone had a set decided they'd be swapping them for a 3 dot set and selling the XS as soon as they got home. Any advantage they give are at 0-7yds, maybe out to 10yds and at that range during a defensive situation you shouldn't be using your sights, it should be instinctive point shoulder shooting. Anything from 10/15yds and out your accuracy will suffer since the large dot gets in the way and covers the whole target. Horizontal accuracy also suffers since you're putting the scoop on top of the ice cream cone and can't use the 3 dot system or the uprights of the rear sight to judge windage.

These sights are not favorites of quite a few national instructors such as Rob Pincus.

I'm not really a fan of the I-dot or straight-8 sights either but if you're used to them then I think its a better option than the XS.
This is exactly what happened to me me. Took just one class with them.
And at the distance that they are "good at" you might as well "point and click".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts