New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all really just a pipe-dream and set of what-if's at the moment, but I'm looking towards getting my pistol permit, and have no realitive to share a gun with. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good, decent, cheaper, 'Colt SAA Clone'? How much would one generally cost?

I heard the Ruger Vaquero is a decent gun, can anyone verify this? Any other suggestions for those who want a nice SAA clone but are on a budget?

Should I even be looking towards a revolver for my first hand gun, or should I look towards something else, like a PPK or something?

Sorry, I'm really just getting into guns, so I don't know too much at the moment. But ya gotta start somewhere right? :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I researched single action army revolvers to death a while back and all of the people who do cowboy action shooting go with the Ruger New Vaquero. It has multiple safeties that are actually a good idea over the Colt. With the Ruger, if you open the loading gate, the gun can't go off. Not the case with the Colt. On the Colt, it's best to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber because of where the firing pin is. Again, the Ruger is safer because it's not required. All of that said, it takes a very long time to load and unload a SAA revolver. As your first gun, it's kind of asking a lot. I love revolvers, but despite my yearning for one, I've have never decided to punish myself enough to get an SAA. Also know that .38 special and .357 ammo is significantly more expensive per round than a typical auto loading round like 9mm. Maybe you should be looking at a .22 for shooting a lot, and a revolver for less round count but more slow fire accuracy.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have something perfect for you. If you want a SA revolver and something that doesnt cost allot. Look at the EAA bounty Hunter series. Very good guns. Come in .45 Colt, .357 Mag and .22 Mag I think. They are good looking. When I finally have extra money to get a SA thats the one I am going to get just based off of looks and my dealings with EAA. I need to look up some reviews on it but I am sure its fine.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
You said cheaper, but if I wanted something even better than a Colt, I'd go with a USFA, they are making guns the way Colt used to. I have both a Colt in 45 and a USFA in 44 sp.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Unless you want to get into cowboy action shooting I would not suggest a SAA as a first choice. All mine are colts but if I did not have colts and wanted to go lower colts I would certainly consider ruger as the next best choice. For first time pistol owners I always say a 22 first

·
Registered
905 Posts
as long as your going to be waiting a bit for your permit start reading and getting good info on your interests. if you have friends with guns that's a great place to start. everybody is biased when it comes to guns so in the end you should listen but make your own decision. the colt ssa's are nice guns but both USFA and ruger match or surpass the colt as far as durability (my opinion - see every body has one, just like you know). the classic SSA is without adjustable sights which is a little limiting as far as round placement. they also come in adj. sight models.
ask yourself honestly how you think you will use the gun, as a plinker, self defense, hunting or what? the problem is for the most part guns don't cross all the lines well. for example a 454 casull doesn't make a great plinker as it's expensive and punishing. ok, now here's my pitch. my suggestion for 1st gun is ....... your decision ..... but, a 22 is fun and cheap to shoot. you can get the 454, 44,357, 9 or ? later ...... have some real fun first. writers cramp so not even going into the ole pistol or revolver camp.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 5 ruger single action revolvers and shoot in cowboy action matches. Rugers are the most popular with CAS because of price and durability. The ruger single six in 22/22mag would make a good first gun. I have had mine over 25 years and will never part with it. The other guns you mentioned would probably be fine but may not retain resale value that a Ruger would. I would also look at the customer service of these companies. Problems with firearms is rare but some companies can be a head ache to deal with. S&W, Ruger and Henry have been top notch for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.