New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Niagra Gun Range in the Buffalo area today and was disappointed with how I was treated. Was excited when I got there because I hadn't been in a gun shop since I left working at Cabela's a couple months ago. Walked in and there were a few people in line to use the range so I went around to the sales counters to look at some guns. I was looking at some of the inventory and a large employee walked up on the other side and just stared at me (so much for a friendly greeting). I looked up and said hi and he just looked at me (seriously). I thought "whatever" and made some small talk with my friend that came with as we walked the counter looking at guns. The guy behind the counter followed us, never getting close enough to offer assistance but never far enough that we weren't out of his sight. Just didn't get a good vibe from the place and probably won't be back. Anyone else have this kind of experience at this place?

· Registered
8,394 Posts
That was big Frank, He was accidentally killed there by a patron a few years back. He never says anything , just watches the place, I guess.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I had ya going !!!:jester:

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Walking into an unfamiliar gun range these days is like walking into an unfamiliar local bar ....anywhere in NY.

You have to make friends fast, and let them know your not there to investigate.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
He is usually very helpful, I agree not the most social guy but always very helpful if you actually ask to see something. He showed me about 5 guns the other day and booked me for some range time as well. The old man and his son are also pretty helpful as well. Maybe he was just having a bad day or hungover LOL. I always seem to be treated decent there.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
The new range in Depew will be opening the first week of June.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Walking into an unfamiliar gun range these days is like walking into an unfamiliar local bar ....anywhere in NY.

You have to make friends fast, and let them know your not there to investigate.
As a customer, I should be made to feel welcome.

· Registered
26 Posts
OP - I know exactly who you are talking about. I asked to see a pistol and he walked over and pointed.... I asked if I could actually hold it and without a word handed it too me. Then I said I wanted to buy and and it yelled over to Dennis and used his finger to motion the owner to come over. Pretty rude if you ask me.. It seems to me that just his personality.

No different than Gun Center - some are polite, some aren't..

· Registered
9,955 Posts
I think some of the sales people at the BGC live across the street.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Niagara gun range can take a flying crap.

When I was there nobody would take the time to watch the idiots point guns at other people on the range but sure had enough time to walk around behind the firing line picking up my brass and putting it in a box telling the other guy that was with him, and I quote, "this stuff is like gold".

I had steam coming out of my ears at that point so I figured confronting him would not have been in anyone best interest. I would have told him what I thought of him and his range.

I should have sent him a bill for the brass he stole from me.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts

When I was there nobody would take the time to watch the idiots point guns at other people on the range but sure had enough time to walk around behind the firing line picking up my brass and putting it in a box telling the other guy that was with him, and I quote, "this stuff is like gold".

I had steam coming out of my ears at that point so I figured confronting him would not have been in anyone best interest. I would have told him what I thought of him and his range.

Jeeze, I'm not sure I could have said nothing if someone my brass. I'd probably at least toss out a "Thanks for pinking my brass up for me buddy, they go right in my range box over there." When I leave, sure, whatever I missed is yours, but not when I am there. :(

· Registered
1,445 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean Jeff. I unfortunately have very little choice for indoor ranges. But ya, I don't feel real safe there sometimes. I wear a kevlar vest there. If they have a bunch of renters (people that have never handled a gun and rent them), I just turn around and go home. Nothing scarier than a noob with a gun. They're trying to figure out how to load and shot and god help you if they get a jam!
Cheektovegas can't open soon enough for me.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean Jeff. I unfortunately have very little choice for indoor ranges. But ya, I don't feel real safe there sometimes. I wear a kevlar vest there. If they have a bunch of renters (people that have never handled a gun and rent them), I just turn around and go home. Nothing scarier than a noob with a gun. They're trying to figure out how to load and shot and god help you if they get a jam!
Cheektovegas can't open soon enough for me.
I agree its going to be so close and only a couple minute ride.

I have only once not felt safe there and it was only for a few seconds. When young kids renting an AK and AR asked me which way to load the mag and which way the carts went in, there was another guy who left and I believe he told the guy we are talking about in this thread (The Big Guy) came back and watched and instructed them, if not I was going to leave as well. Luckily he stood right behind them while they shot.

I dont think its a good idea for them to be renting AKs, ARs or any guns for that matter to people with absolutely no training. The only reason I have been going there is my wife got me a Gift card for range time for Christmas and now its gone.

I find the best time to go is as soon as they open in the mornings I have had the range to myself a few times. Avoid weekends at all cost.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OP - I know exactly who you are talking about. I asked to see a pistol and he walked over and pointed.... I asked if I could actually hold it and without a word handed it too me. Then I said I wanted to buy and and it yelled over to Dennis and used his finger to motion the owner to come over. Pretty rude if you ask me.. It seems to me that just his personality.

No different than Gun Center - some are polite, some aren't..
I'll reserve my business for people I think have earned it.

· Registered
190 Posts
I ordered a shotgun through gun genie from the niagara range. I went to pick it up and nobody knew where it was. I waited probably 30 min while they helped other people before they even looked. Finally found it in the boss' office. Then the kid working there had no idea how to do a transfer it seemed. The whole process took almost 2 hrs. Was hoping I'd have time to test out the shotty but having waited so long I had to get home. That was my only experience there. That plus the fact that it's way too far away...let's just say I'm looking forward to Wolcott opening up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.