New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in another thread, but I didn't get an answer, so I've decided to begin a new thread.

I've lived in Niagara Falls since my parents brought me home from the hospital over three decades ago, so residency isn't an issue in regard to a permit application. Unfortunately, all of the friends and close acquaintances who know me well and/or have known me for an extended period of time live outside of Niagara County, most of them in Erie County or out of state, so I can't muster up even the minimum four references. Am I simply out of luck when it comes to applying for a permit?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Call Patty at the permit office and talk to her. She should be able to tell you if you have any options or if your SOL.

I can't believe how hard it is for people to find references. My cousin just told me he is having trouble coming up with 4 and he has lived in NT for 40 years and worked there for 20 plus. I told him to stop being a hermit and make some friends LOL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
it is hard to get referances. i had to go with a few friends of the family and a neighbor. 4 close ppl that live in the city and are dependable is alot i think. my wife is hvine the same problem seeing she is fairly new to the area. im moving to MA. and they dont do referances. gotta love new york. lol good luck shawn

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As mentioned by Mike, call Patty at this number: Niagara County Pistol Permit Office phone number: (716) 439-7122

The County requires that if you live in one of the 3 cities in Niagara County, then a minimum of 2 of you references have to be from the City you live in. If you do not live in one of three cities, then your references can live anywhere in Niagara County. If you still can not comply, you can ask Patty and the permit office for permission to use references from outside of Niagara County. This is done quite often, they may just ask you to answer why you have lived there for so long and do not know anyone that will sign for you.

Let us know if you have questions or if you need any help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
FTWNY is right on i just had to have an interview and i ask the gentlemen the same question and he said they do my compromises for such. Like he said to me he would rather have references that have known you well then some coworker that only knows you from work.

good luck took me 6 months

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. :) I'll let you know what happens. By the way, FTWNY, the answer is pretty simple. There really isn't a whole lot to do in the Falls anymore unless your life revolves around eating Italian, Chinese, and Indian food, and my childhood friends and neighbors have mostly either moved out of the county or died, or we simply lost contact. If they let me use out of county references, I'll have no problem giving them at least half a dozen within the state, including a long time friend who's a sergeant in the Army and currently stationed at Ft. Drum.

Just wondering, what exactly does it say in the questionnaires that they send to the references?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts